Pacific Oceans/Oceania

EastCoast315

Reaction score
Been superr interested in this part of the world for a while now, its looking to be one of my first destinations for when I leave next july, does anyone here know much about these islands? Or have some good websites/info? Just looking to bum the cheaper islands, fishing a ton (for fun and for food!), island hopping. Feeling like cargo ships and boat hitching will be super useful here.
Also, if anyone knows shipping/cargo routes through any of these waters, either between individual islands, or back/forth to North America or South America, that info would be appreciated a ton.

Thanks!

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
The freighters that carry passengers have to have extra certificates and insurance, so if they're doing it officially they usually charge upwards of $100/day. That means it's usually cheaper to fly. If you go as crew they usually require that you have a Merchant Mariner's Document (MMD) if not an AB.
I've heard of some tramp freighters that aren't so particular, but you've really got to hunt for them. The best bet is to crew on a private vessel that's cruising. There's another thread here on that.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads