Outdoor sleeping in Amsterdam/Rotterdam | Squat the Planet

Outdoor sleeping in Amsterdam/Rotterdam

Mawnzie

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

Im at the moment in Paris, and in a couple of days I'm planing to go to amsterdam (and possibly Rotterdam on the way). As I've brought a sleeping bag I'm thinking of just sleeping outside somewhere. Does anybody have any experience of sleeping outdoors in those cities?

Best,

Mans:ph34r:

r3353

Reaction score
Nope, not in those cities. But i have had luck when i come a cross a nice cemetery. Be respectful ov the dead and find a nice bush for cover. Or try a Hospitality Exchange Network for a roof. If you want to sleep outside, id recommend somewhere far out from the city centers. Less people to hassle you.
Good Luck
r

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
It's been a couple years, but in my experience any place in Northern Europe is about as easy and safe to sleep out as you'll find. The countryside is the best, but if I found myself in a city and the weather was OK I'd just find a park without junkies or someplace by a river and look for bushes or even a good deep shadow to roll out in. Even if the cops wake you, it's more like they're checking to see if you're OK. Show them your ID and tell them a story about how you were supposed to meet somebody who didn't show up and everything will be cool. Just go for it and don't worry!

Broche

Reaction score
I've just left Amsterdam and yeah, you should have no problem sleeping outside. A friend I was squatting with there spent a night recently in one of the boats on the canals quite close to centre without any problems.

Good luck, Amsterdam is a wonderful city, the people there are very welcoming.

stove

Reaction score
ive slept outside in Adam, Rdam, and many many other cities. It is easy, and people generally dont bother you. Find a construction site and you should be golden, or a park without bright lights.

axolotl

Reaction score
i´m in amsterdam right now... didn´t try sleeping in the center because the authorities apparently wake up anyone they see sleeping in the street, at any hour. not to mention it´s been raining about every 20 minutes. luckily we have a tent and we´ve put it up between the train station and some fields in a nearby village, trains run all night in this country (which is very convenient except for the rumbles)

Brand0nRagged

Reaction score
the people in Holland love kids like us, for the most part. in my experience at least. if you seem like a good person and they dont think your a drug addict it shouldnt be too hard to get housed up.

axolotl

Reaction score
do you mean it was easy to get into squats? or the general population was very hospitable?

another thing you can do if you´re stuck without a warm place at night is get on one of the trains running between amsterdam and rotterdam or utrecht all night

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads