Out of season harbors for a night or two? | Squat the Planet

Out of season harbors for a night or two?

nastynaty

Reaction score
Website
www.readdesert.org
I've been staying in harbors up and down lake Michigan for free because it's passed season and they're closed. It feels as if it's the Walmart parking lot of boats.

I just look up the marina ahead of time check when season is up and give a call to see if they're staffed. If it seems like there's no staff I dock and check it out. I got away with almost a week at one marina before I got bored and sailed off.

Does anyone else do this or have any free docking tips and tricks?

• Useful
Reactions: Odin and iamwhatiam

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Holy Shit...

I should have know about this being in the general area so long....

Thanks for the info/heads up.

Only tips I can give for are the general idea of being aware of you surroundings and the whatever authoritarian "patrol" ... but i'm sure you know better than me by now.

Good Luck.

And if you are anywhere near the Ohare area drop me a line if i'm not broke as usual and in the area... at the least a beer or cup of chili might do with some conversation.

Reactions: nastynaty

nastynaty

Reaction score
Website
www.readdesert.org
Shoot I got my mast taken down in Chicago and spent a night at the boat yard that did it. The guy let me stay for free with electric hookups and had a cooler of beer for me and everything. I'm in joliet right now which has free docks with free electric! I'm headed more south today though.

Gideon

Reaction score
Website
www.gideonthestoryteller.bandcamp.com
Shoot I got my mast taken down in Chicago and spent a night at the boat yard that did it. The guy let me stay for free with electric hookups and had a cooler of beer for me and everything. I'm in joliet right now which has free docks with free electric! I'm headed more south today though.
Damn dude your website is badass. I feel what you're saying about the Big Happy Ending and despair vs hope

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads