1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Open Organisation of Lockpickers

Discussion in 'Squatting' started by Slingshot Collective, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Slingshot Collective

Slingshot Collective Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Media
    City:
    Berkeley
    State:
    CA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +204 / -1
    • Useful Useful x 4
  2. zim

zim Reality Perception Device
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    City:
    College Park
    State:
    MD
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +593 / -0
    I always run into situations where lockpicks would be super useful, but have never wanted to risk carrying them and getting a felony warrant for possession of burglary tools with what would otherwise be just another trespass.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tacopirate

tacopirate Celebrated Poster
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Programmer
    City:
    Leland
    State:
    NC
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    How does the idea of burglary tools actually manifest? If I'm caught with a squirt gun I go down because I'm a felon - no knives or cutting devices. But, what if I'm on a job-site and I have snips? Fine to LE. Walking home from the same job-site with my snips and it's possession of burglary tools?!

EDIT - I need to learn to carry an Oxford Dictionary with me at all times....

#3 tacopirate, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  4. AlmostAlwaysLost

AlmostAlwaysLost Failed Adventurer
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +522 / -22
    Unfortunately the guidelines for the police charging you with burglary tools are pretty liberal..I keep all my scrapping tools at my scrapping camp.

5. tacopirate

tacopirate Celebrated Poster
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Programmer
    City:
    Leland
    State:
    NC
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    ^^Yeah, no kidding. When I was in MDOC custody last time there were a lot of guys in for possessing burglary tools. Granted they had extensive criminal histories but I find it hard to believe that having bolt cutters is deserving of many years in prison....

6. Stiv Rhodes

Stiv Rhodes is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Waste Management
    City:
    Seattle
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +31 / -0
    Their website gives a breakdown of the states (most) where possession of lock picks is legal as long as you're not committing another crime. They're also super easy to stash on your person, or toss discretely if need be. I've been to this group in SF. Is it still happening at Noise Bridge? I thought they stopped meeting there. Thanks for showing me there's a chapter up here, I thought it was just a local group down there. Picking locks isn't usually the easiest way into a place, tho. It takes such a delicate touch that it's affected by your emotional state. If you're looking over your shoulder nervously, your skill goes way down. It's still been a cool skill to have learned.

#6 Stiv Rhodes, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017