Open carry machete in US | Squat the Planet

Open carry machete in US

Darion

Reaction score
Ive heard from a few people that its legal to open carry a machete, or that its only legal to carry it in plain sight on your belt or something. How true is this?

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
A machete could be called an "edged tool," but it really depends on whether or not the cop is going to treat it like a knife or a sword. These laws vary state-by-state, so you need to make sure you check them for wherever you're going. Generally, it's always illegal to carry it as a concealed weapon, which means that even if the hilt or tip of the blade is covered by your shirt or similar, a cop can call it concealed and book you. So if you're going to carry one, make sure it's COMPLETELY in the open.

And the obvious point, never ever ever EVER EVER CARRY A KNIFE (or any kind of weapon just to be safe) INTO A GOVERNMENT BUILDING INCLUDING A FOOD STAMP OFFICE, YOU WILL GO TO JAIL!

Honestly though, unless you're heading into the jungle, you won't get around with a machete without attracting a LOT of unwanted attention. If a cop approaches you to make sure you're not some schizophrenic axe-murderer, their tune is going to change instantly when they see a machete strapped to your pack, because there's simply no reason to have one outside of South America unless you're just going for 'cool points.' A machete makes a terrible self-defense weapon, even worse than a knife, because if you don't know how to use it properly, (aka trained) you're just going to hurt yourself or end up having it used against you.

Last edited:

Kadidlehopper

Reaction score
dude, with the amount of 'shoot first-ask questions later' cases that have been happening there lately I wouldnt bother, what are you planning to do? swath down to mexico? lol you probably wont need it.

Reactions: Tude
T

Tick Dickler

Ive heard from a few people that its legal to open carry a machete, or that its only legal to carry it in plain sight on your belt or something. How true is this?

god damnit knives are tools not fucking weapons. (unless its made with the intention of hurting other people). people are so fucking paranoid. i doesnt matter what you ban people are gonna kill each other just as effectively. people will disagree with this but hide that motherfucker. if you keep it in plain sight people will definitely call the cops. some lady called the cops on me because i was hiking in the forrest with a 6 inch knife.

chances are they will take it from you anyway so they wont have to come out a second time. lazy fucks... you can keep it in the frame of your pack with something covering the handle. its a bit hard to get it in and out though.

A machete could be called an "edged tool," but it really depends on whether or not the cop is going to treat it like a knife or a sword. These laws vary state-by-state, so you need to make sure you check them for wherever you're going. Generally, it's always illegal to carry it as a concealed weapon, which means that even if the hilt or tip of the blade is covered by your shirt or similar, a cop can call it concealed and book you. So if you're going to carry one, make sure it's COMPLETELY in the open.

And the obvious point, never ever ever EVER EVER CARRY A KNIFE (or any kind of weapon just to be safe) INTO A GOVERNMENT BUILDING INCLUDING A FOOD STAMP OFFICE, YOU WILL GO TO JAIL!

Honestly though, unless you're heading into the jungle, you won't get around with a machete without attracting a LOT of unwanted attention. If a cop approaches you to make sure you're not some schizophrenic axe-murderer, their tune is going to change instantly when they see a machete strapped to your pack, because there's simply no reason to have one outside of South America unless you're just going for 'cool points.' A machete makes a terrible self-defense weapon, even worse than a knife, because if you don't know how to use it properly, (aka trained) you're just going to hurt yourself or end up having it used against you.

if your do allot of wood work/ bushcrafting every day, a small machete is perfect. some people never use their knives, some people do. but if you make allot of big fires and chop allot you need a big blade.

also i thought a machete were good weapons? i saw a video of an old japanese farmer killing 4 guys trying to rob his house with a machete once.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
also i thought a machete were good weapons? i saw a video of an old japanese farmer killing 4 guys trying to rob his house with a machete once.

Yeah, they're good weapons if you're properly trained in a school of martial arts which uses them. The problem is people go and pick up a machete and think they're suddenly bruce lee, then wonder what happened when they got into a fight and stabbed themselves with it. That's why I said knives are also bad, if you don't know how to use them, you're going to end up giving your attacker a knife if they have ever had any training.

T

Tick Dickler

Yeah, they're good weapons if you're properly trained in a school of martial arts which uses them. The problem is people go and pick up a machete and think they're suddenly bruce lee, then wonder what happened when they got into a fight and stabbed themselves with it.

hmm... im trusting you then. this guys wasnt trained though. he just chopped like a retard running back and forth. fucking brutal video, to much gore for an 11 yr old.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Reactions: Darion and yoder
E

Elliska

Okay, wielding a knife in any non-utility situation is a good way to get shot, stabbed, or beaten to death. Unless you're highly trained in combat for the specific knife you carry then don't ever think about pulling it on a drugged up, Aggro-as-fuck homie who is threatening to mess you up, thinking it'll frighten them off the way badasses do in movies. That's a sorry excuse to get fucked up. Knives aren't as practical in combat as Jason Statham or anyone else makes them out to be. A long blunt object with further reach is more than enough to end a knife wielder's self perceived sense of having the upper hand in a fight. True, they can be a life saving last resort, but don't put your money on that. Try to use reasoning or get the hell out of the situation before ever pulling a knife and inciting violent means to resolve a situation. Same goes for machetes. although your chances of survival in a critical situation might be higher with one, all the above reasons mentioned by Zim are still true. The very sight of a machete on your person could cause extreme measures to be taken against you, even if you've done nothing. So play it safe and don't try to be a hero/badass. Don't get into fights, and if you do, do yourself a favor and book it. Only fight if there's no other out to your predicament.

T

Tick Dickler

Okay, wielding a knife in any non-utility situation is a good way to get shot, stabbed, or beaten to death. Unless you're highly trained in combat for the specific knife you carry then don't ever think about pulling it on a drugged up, Aggro-as-fuck homie who is threatening to mess you up, thinking it'll frighten them off the way badasses do in movies. That's a sorry excuse to get fucked up. Knives aren't as practical in combat as Jason Statham or anyone else makes them out to be. A long blunt object with further reach is more than enough to end a knife wielder's self perceived sense of having the upper hand in a fight. True, they can be a life saving last resort, but don't put your money on that. Try to use reasoning or get the hell out of the situation before ever pulling a knife and inciting violent means to resolve a situation. Same goes for machetes. although your chances of survival in a critical situation might be higher with one, all the above reasons mentioned by Zim are still true. The very sight of a machete on your person could cause extreme measures to be taken against you, even if you've done nothing. So play it safe and don't try to be a hero/badass. Don't get into fights, and if you do, do yourself a favor and book it. Only fight if there's no other out to your predicament.

this is sounds about right.
i have to say though, if you are up against a person who deosnt have any sort of weapon, youre gonna win every time. as long as your not super hesitant, youve got the advantage. it doesnt matter how good you are, you cant disarm someone with a knife. normally what will happen is the person without a knife will get in a punh or two, but by that time hes completely cut up.

sources:

some weird forum like /k/, but decicated to knife fighting. the guys there seemed to have been in allot of knifefights.

i did taekwondo (not for long) and they had those knifes that beep when you hit something. they dont beep every time, but it was impossible to disarm someone. we even went up against a guy with 3rd dan (i think thats what its called in english?). he managed to get the knife from me one time, by kicking my underarm, but in doing so i had hit him 4 times and he would have had the knife stabbed in to his leg.

also imo a pry bar would be the perfect weapon for any one who doesnt kow shit. its like a bat, but swings faster.

DesertRat

Reaction score
A pry bar would be faster than a bat, true, but if/when you get hung up by the Rozzers you stand a good chance of winning a set of shiny matching bracelets for possession of a burglary tool.

A machete, on the other hand, can be explained by its primary purpose and marketing as a camping implement if found in your possessions, and would only make sense for any traveller/outdoor camper to have in their inventory.

PIE

Reaction score
Just keep it in your pack, your supposed to have it in view at all times. I never care to carry one like that while traveling.

Erable

Aspiring journeyman
Reaction score

"even if your shirt is covering the hilt they can still book you."
Even if they did, you would be able to contest it in court, and win, because that's a horseshit charge. If the majority of it is visible, you should be in the clear.

I wouldn't bring it unless you know for sure that you're going to be clearing tons of heavy brush.
You could always stash it near your campsite when you go into town? Just bury it or something.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
I've had cops threaten me with felony concealed weapon charges for having a knife in a completely enclosed pouch on my belt.
Which, of course, is complete and utterly fucked up. I mean, it's on my belt, right?
So at least the handle should be showing. beyond that, i don't know the legality. I did carry a Ka-Bar with a 8" blade for a while and never got fucked with.

NBDDreamer

On the move
Reaction score
There's an old desert rat with a blog called "woods roamer." He homesteads on the TX/Mexico border and argues that the machete is the most useful tool he has in his area. It's good for processing cactus, clearing brush, and whacking logs that may hide scorpions or rattlers. The longer the length, the more it saves your back.

For walking around cities or towns, keep it in your pack. There's no reason to draw unwanted attention to yourself. If the size of the machete precludes you from keeping it in your pack, then strap it to the outside. Regardless, when you deal with the police, look them in the eye, keep your hands out of your pockets, and be polite . It's also wise to alert them to the fact, even if they can see well enough themselves, that you have a machete you've "been using for brush clearance at your campsites" strapped to your pack. Maybe ask the officer if he'd like you to take the pack off for his piece of mind.

I've spoken with police and sheriffs in rural areas of California with a pistol and knife on my belt without issue. Many cops are gun and knife guys themselves. But if they think you're a danger to them or others or if you're behaving belligerently, they are obligated to disarm you.

Reactions: Eyegor

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads