on the road with a restricted diet

Current Location
western mass
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
(maybe this belongs in 'staying healthy'?) i have been everything from vegan to omnivore while traveling and i have experienced firsthand how that can bend with need - not that i am making the 'veganism is rly hard' argument, i'm just saying sometimes one makes trade-offs like by being freegan.

anyway what i haven't dealt with before for any extended period of time is traveling with the food-based health problem i learned a couple years ago that i have, which is intolerance of gluten. for those who don't know, it means not just that i have to avoid anything with gluten ingredients, but i have to avoid it as a contaminant down to a microscopic level (gluten free legally means <0.002%) and cross-contamination is a major and widespread hazard. think like a peanut allergy, only it won't kill you but just make you really sick, but if peanuts and peanut dust were everywhere in the food system and in most 'normal' people's diets & kitchens...etc.

right now i am settled and have a kitchen where i make almost everything from scratch. oh yeah, i am also vegan(mostly- technically freegan i guess) and try to apply ayurvedic guidelines for my vata-dominant-with-major-pitta-issues constitution. it's all important to maintaining my physical and mental well-being. this is basically my single biggest fear about traveling again, that i'm not going to be able to keep my food safe and healthy, or i'm going to have figure out some kind of very different diet. or maybe rubber tramp with a camper rig which i am far from being able to afford... i was just curious if anyone else had experience traveling with radical dietary limitations and any thoughts they could share. thanks!

bushhippie

Previously crisywantstorunaway
Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
Luckily i dont have any allergies or anything like that. but i do like to eat fresh, and i like to cook. Maby learn to forage for wild greens. dandilion, and some of the other things that you can eat. you can make teas from tons of diffrent plants, teas have tons of vitimins that you need. theres teas you can make that are energizing, and teas that are calming. Theres a wild plant for EVERYTHING!!!!!

OP
OP
oak moth
Current Location
western mass
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
that's cool but... i can't live on dandelions, i'm not a rabbit!! believe me i had my primmie phase and ran around eating all sorts of wild plants for a while. i definitely wasn't vegan then.... i used to be a big believer in raw foods, but since i have gastrointestinal issues, it makes sense to eat more cooked foots as they are easier to digest.

bushhippie

Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
i just meant using wild foods to supplement your diet. drinking the teas. Its just something alot of people overlook

OP
OP
oak moth
Current Location
western mass
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
yes , no that's totally a good point about vitamins in forageable plants, and i will research it. thanks!

Geraldo

Lurker extraordinaire
Current Location
Rainer, OR
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
The fact that no one tagged me in this really bums me out...

Hi, let me introduce myself. My name is Geraldo (At least on this site it is) and I have Celiac disease, which it sounds like you have as well. I am also a wanderer.

Firstly, you WILL get sick. It's not just because you're wandering, it's because you're alive in a world where wheat is cheap to produce and in everything. If you've had this for a few years you should know that that means, rampant ingredient checking, no utensil sharing, no random make-out sessions after that cute girl has just chugged a beer, etc. Look into camping stovetops, they're lightweight, barely take up any room, I bought a really cheap camping cookware kit for less than $10 at Krogers and I have it to this day even.

All Subways carry gluten free bread in their own packaging. That gluten free bread gets thrown out after ~3 days. That means most Subway dumpsters have gluten free bread in them. I would not suggest dumpstering a subway dumpster yourself, mostly because then you're literally fucking covered in gluten. But if you have a road dog that likes to make sure you're happy, get them to get it out, then wash off the package and enjoy!

Most Starbucks carry gluten free sandwiches at their locations. Same rules apply. Starbucks are fucking great dumpsters and you can easily feed you and your friends. They are not vegan nor are they vegetarian but what you said is very true, when you're on the road you take what you can take as long as it doesn't make you ill.

Always fly signs with friends. If someone gives you a burger, make a deal, friend gets burger, you get buck.

Have you ever heard of Salvage Grocery stores? Look them up. It's basically food past it's sell-by date that is still good for like 2-3 more weeks. They have copious amounts of gluten free goodies there. https://www.thebalance.com/salvage-grocery-stores-1388627

If you ever decide to go back to meat you can always fish. I have personally never done it, since you'd have to catch it and learn how to filet it and blah blah, but it's always an idea and fish is certainly gluten free.

Foraging in the wilderness is also a thing that can be done, like was said upthread.

As someone I know who does not want to be named ever, "FUCK WALMART. SHOPLIFT TOFU!" This person traveled vegan for an entire year via shoplifting and being a really picky dumpster diver. Not always smiled upon, but not the worst thing you could do.

OP
OP
oak moth
Current Location
western mass
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
word! campstove, yea i know i need one... i had no idea GF food was starting to be carried by big fast-ish food chains, i gradually stopped eating out at all when i realized most places with "GF options" were catering to dieters not sufferers and were CC'ing everything to heck, and cause i started to avoid cane sugar and a lot of processed food just has other weird ingredients that could be pro-inflammatory or otherwise unhelpful....i hate being so delicate but it's the way it is. i used to eat so many pastries and sandwiches from starbucks dumpsters back when i was young and foolish! always very abundant...that's cool you can dumpster sealed gf food there!

Last edited:

bushhippie

Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
word! campstove, yea i know i need one... i had no idea GF food was starting to be carried by big fast-ish food chains, i gradually stopped eating out at all when i realized most places with "GF options" were catering to dieters not sufferers and were CC'ing everything to heck, and cause i started to avoid cane sugar and a lot of processed food just has other weird ingredients that could be pro-inflammatory or otherwise unhelpful....i hate being so delicate but it's the way it is. i used to eat so many pastries and sandwiches from starbucks dumpsters back when i was young and foolish! always very abundant...that's cool you can dumpster sealed gf food there!

you can make a stove out of a coke can or beer can. look up some videos. i had a plastic mason jar i kept my stove in with my q-tips to start it, i could also use the mason jar to cut the oxygen to the fire to turn it off. then i kept my fuel (rubbing alcohol) in a empty gatorade bottle i had with black x's on the lid and tape on the bottle.

siid

Wanderer
Current Location
los angeles
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
Ooooh man is this the thread for me Hahaha

I have a really bad stomach disease called irritable bowel syndrome which is what kurt cobain had. I saw an interview where he talked about his severe stomach pains and using heroin helped him cope with it. It really is that bad.

Doctors dont consider it an actual thing and say its psychosomatic, IBS is just something they diagnose you with when you go through a million tests to find out why you are intestinally dying a slow painful death everyday but nothing actually comes up on tests. They refer you to psychiatrists to treat your stomach problems with antidepressants and a lot of xanax. Its a shit cycle of mind gut correlation and no one actually takes you seriously.

Anyways, i cant actually tolerate anything. Everything will kill me. There are no foods that will not make me die a thousand deaths, just foods that will make me die a little less. Ive had this for about 10 years and it only gets worse and I have to cut more and more foods out of my diet. Its been like having a stomach ache for 10 years. I can manage my diet better when I am in a house because I cook all my food and am careful with every single ingredient. I never eat out. So things get a little more difficult when I am living outside and sometimes just have to eat whatever i can but ive managed.

Things i cant/dont eat so that my bowels dont descend into hell:
potatoes rice heavy starches carrots dairy bread gluten uhh sugary stuffs highly processed foods uhh beans corn soy things too high in fiber also things that affect hormones because of hormonal imbalances so Pretty much everything ever

I only eat quinoa, buckwheat, pasta made from quinoa, organic no antibiotic no hormones added chickens/turkeys that have been raised by loving families who read them bed time stories every night, oatmeal ? uhh some other stuff whatever

So when im outdoors, i just make do with what i have, luckily i have food stamps so that helps a lot . Im not one for being in the woods and shit, im usually in cities so theres almost always a whole foods somewhere nearby. They accept food stamps and it covers food already cooked as long as its cold. So i get boxes of already cooked quinoa and chicken and live off that.

Theres days when people just kick me down different variations of potatoes all day. And pizza. Those days suck. Gastrointestinally, I mean. Not in an ungrateful way. Most likely, i will just feel like im ulcerating for a couple of hours.

Also if im on the move, i cannot just eat whenever i want, like if Im hitching, I cant really beforehand, which sucks because i dont know if Im going to get a ride in 2 hours or 6 hours ? And am i gonna be in a car for an hour or more ?
And WHEN WILL I GET TO STOP SOMEWHERE AND EAT ?!

However, id like to think ive mastered a routine/strategy down to a science when im on the road :cool: I cant really explain it, its a case by case basis, sometimes it just depends on what time it is but theres a method to the madness :p Hahaha still sucks tho and always will. ::grumpy::

Its important your road dog/people you chill with know and understand, so if theres someone im gonna be spending way too much time with i breakdown all my dietary and digestive issues for them in ways that they wish they never knew and that my entire life is an impending shit attack and they are now a part of it :cool: It helps for them to be supportive, sometimes theyll keep an eye out for things i can eat when dumpstering and hold it for me knowing most things that i CAN eat dont come often, and i usually save most things i cant eat for others.

Oh yeah i cant even drink anymore. I used to, heavily, but my stomach lining is burnt like the depths of hell. So as much as i would like to have a drink sometimes, i KNOW an all out riot will ensue amongst my digestive organs and they will all end up killing eachother. People can get pushy when it comes to getting you to have “one drink” or “ONE beer” or “come on one sip isnt gonna kill you”, so i make it a point for them to stop right there , Dont start this 12 year old peer pressure bullshit ,dead ass.

Anyways heres some things that ive tried and although they havent helped me, may help others:

(i know these forms of treatment might be a little different than what you are talking about in terms of gluten, but maybe this might help someone else idunno )

Chamomille to calm the stomach muscles
PEPPERMINT OIL CAPSULES (sometimes combined with fennel and ginger oil) [natual antispasmodic, help calm an irritated instestinal tract, supposed to treat bloating. You take a capsule before eating. they are relatively cheap you can get them on amazon for 13$ for 90 capsules]
Immodium tablets (anti spasmodic)
Theres some homeopathic tablets for IBS (incase the peppermint oil ones dont work or give you heartburn) sold on walgreens’ website

Carry a bag of nuts with you watnuts pecans sunflower seeds pumpkin seeds to keep your energy up between meals.
If you dont have a nut allergy or something.

siid

Wanderer
Current Location
los angeles
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
it helps to be open about it. Sometimes if im spanging, or i get stopped sometimes just walking down the street, people offer to buy my raggity ass a meal or take me out to eat and i tell them i cant really eat most things and they are nice enough to try and help me find something that I can eat.

siid

Wanderer
Current Location
los angeles
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
for irritable bowels: cbd oil or tea, without THC

i feel like my post wasnt as helpful as i tried to be haha but I will post as many ways to deal with diet issues/stomach issues as i can think of when they pop into my brain!

OP
OP
oak moth
Current Location
western mass
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
Wow siid that’s intense, sounds brutal...kudos for staying at it! it's pretty different from what i have to deal with but i bet it will be helpful to someone. this thread really belongs in "staying healthy"....there was a post there recently about traveling with back issues that resonated for me. i have those too and while i was never the toughest crusty i knew, it kinda blows my mind to think back on how much i used to take for granted that i could always pack up and go, sleep under a bridge and eat dumpstered pizza, or whatever. all of those years sleeping on hard surfaces and carrying around too heavy of a pack, eating and drinking and smoking whatever i could find, on top of whatever genetics and bad judgement already had in store for me... guess i have to deal with the fact that i'm a lot more limited in my options now.

OP
OP
oak moth
Current Location
western mass
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
just a stupid liittle update;
turns out i am just basically a crazy person with food phobias (and again, to be fair, a number of close relative with celiac, and saw a few doctors who agreed with this theory bla bla) but gluten intolerance isn't my problem after all. however all grains are pro-inflammatory so i am going to a super low-carb diet - no grains, beans tubers of fruit which is basically most of what i was living on this winter while feeling worse and worse. i have done a diet like this before, although without being vegan that time, but it did absolute wonders for my mental and physical health (like i stopped being 50lbs overweight, covered in sores and borderline psychotic). i don't know if it's low enough to be "keto" but i also fast once a week which is also supposed to help inflammation. i am thankful i don't have to be schlepping around, hopeful it will help (i am feeling somewhat better already)
NUTS, LEAVES AND BERRIES FTW !!!