2016 Jamboree - Official 2016 Jamboree Rideshare/Road dog Thread | Squat the Planet

2016 Jamboree Official 2016 Jamboree Rideshare/Road dog Thread

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2016 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Since we're all going to the same destination, I figured it would be a good idea to put all the ride share / road dog requests for the jamboree here in this one thread for easy reference.

Make sure to post where you're coming from, your mode of transportation, where you're headed afterwards (if you want) and any other details you might think are important. Good luck, and I can't wait to see everyone there!

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
No promises as of yet.. depends on a great number of variables between myself & the Beast & where the hell i am..

you know.. i am tempted to maybe get a goddamned bus *with the seats fucking in*...
but..

there are enough crazy ideas floating around here, already..

if i get condemned back to North Dakota, the jambo looks more promising..

if i get a regular gig that pays enough to save up for a boat, well.. the jambo is prolly off radar, hence the early arrival & departure back march/april..

i have to say, the bike trip sounds .. interesting...

i'm just going to randomly think, here..

--let's see.. a larger rig that can pick folks up will run about 50 - 75 cents a mile, assuming it's in good working condition.. not so good? figure a buck a mile..
i want fucking @Odin, there..
& @Tude..

& goddamn yes, Mr Kim Fucking Chee..

hmm.. small vehicles can be as little as 20 cents a mile.. maybe even less, depending almost entirely on gas..

i'm just wondering if there may not be some kind of tactical approach to managing rides..

one thing that kind of strikes me might be a pot for rideshare funds..

Matt?

i dunno if it would be possible to set up another donation banner (with a progress or amount bar) that would let people kick down, but if there were it might be interesting.. the $ would serve as both a resource and an incentive.. it would have to be understood that once donated, it belongs to the pot, and a contribution doesn't mean a guaranteed re-distribution.

the thing is that seeing that pot increase wouldn't only add motivation & hope, it would be a point that folks could use as a basic reference for where they should be when the time comes to congregate for the journey.

let's say between here & mid october 4 or 5 hundred gets thrown in..
look like, for instance, that Albuquerque, NM to the Library is ~700 miles.

i dunno.. i can see a progressive formula, but.. 1 cent per person per mile, up to 5? then 1.25 cents up to 10?

700 miles, 3 people = $21

700 miles, 5 people = $35

700 miles.. 8 people = $70

it makes a real dent in costs, & depending on how many folks actually rubber tramp it, it could go up or down..

just some thoughts.. but.. if somebody knows they'll have the gas to make it & can shove 6 or 7 people into a wagon, well.. at 20mpg, $40 could cover 1/2 the trip out..

people either have to show up with their head count, though, or be entirely trustable..

anyways.. a lot of crap to do, today..

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i dunno if it would be possible to set up another donation banner (with a progress or amount bar) that would let people kick down, but if there were it might be interesting.. the $ would serve as both a resource and an incentive

i'm considering this possibility, but i'll start another thread for it so we don't go off topic here.

also, for anyone coming from the bay area (california) i believe @eske silver is coming out for sure in her RV and will most likely be giving rides. @eske silver correct me if i'm wrong though.

Reactions: Hillbilly Castro

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Badass idea with the pot. I'd drop a few bucks on that - and while I'm at it I'd probably give a few to STP. Looks like me and @flowerchildd may be cruising out that way, maybe could get a crew together along there way from Maine, who knows. I'll likely be down there in the slabs by the time the gathering goes down, hell yeah.

D

Deleted member 16034

I am just not sure where I'll be by October. I'm down to pack as many as will fit in my car (5 seats plus room for two in the trunk), but I could be coming from anywhere.

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
i'm considering this possibility, but i'll start another thread for it so we don't go off topic here.

also, for anyone coming from the bay area (california) i believe @eske silver is coming out for sure in her RV and will most likely be giving rides. @eske silver correct me if i'm wrong though.

Deinitely *not* driving down in the RV :/
I cut off the mechanic friend who was helping me (not a great friend), and found a new one. Turns out, I've been driving around with an unbolted radiator, rusted-through mufflers, cracked leaf springs, and more.
Also, the DMV is trying to fuck me out of 900$, and insist the computer system they use won't let me print outa list of the fees. (Wish me luck in not loosing my shit on any of these people!)
Unless I can come up with a couple thousand bucks, I won't be taking her on any long-distance drives for a while :(

Tl;Dr: I'm not driving. I need a ride for 1+

Reactions: VtJake

VtJake

Reaction score
got a 98 Avalon im rubber tramping in, will,be in the mid west or west coast by this time.. Could possibly bring 3 people out to the jamboree..will update a little closer to the time..

Reactions: Matt Derrick
D

deleted user

Alright so, it looks like me getting to the jambo is gonna go either 3 ways.

1. (i'd prefer) I have a old Dodge caravan id like to drag from louisiana to be used in a demolition derby. I may have a truck come october (fits 3+driver) and could use a co-polite/driver(s). I like to leave first thing in october cause id like to make that food not bombs gathering and then i got to help andy and his anarchistra (its a bunch of big makeshift instruments) the week or so before the stp gathering.

So after food not bombs (Baja, CA) id be going to Tuscon and renting a box truck which needs someone to drive it. From there wed be going somewhere on the border for an event Andy has set up. He told me whoever is helping him out with this event will be accommodated by this south of the border main host (money for gas/food/etc). And from there wed be going to the slab.

I could us riders to pitch in, or at least cover themselves. I have no doubt i will be completely broke before the end of this jambo lol. Also have to get some kind of hitch for this piece of shit mini van.

My main problem right now is that some asshole doctor feed my mom some new pharmaceutical poison for her blood pressure and now her health is all fucked up. This not only sucks on its own, but my plan was to get my dad to spot me on this truck im trying to buy from the company i used to work for, and now with my mom going to the hospital all the time my dad is broke. Things may work out down the line but as of now the situation looks like shit.

2. However, this may all work out anyway. If i don't buy the truck, id have more money in my pocket. I would just need someone with a truck to meet me in louisiana. Ill get the hitch and be able to cover more, maybe even stop in some bar rooms on the way. Also you can drop me off in tucson and continue on to the slabs with the van if you didn't/couldn't go to food not bombs or south of the border( ill supply my cut of gas money till the driver reach the slabs).

3. ( probably whats gonna happen :() I don't get the truck and nobody can get the van in louisiana. So I'll just get a plane ticket and fly out west and give a ride with the box truck. At least ill save more money.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
3. ( probably whats gonna happen :() I don't get the truck and nobody can get the van in louisiana. So I'll just get a plane ticket and fly out west and give a ride with the box truck. At least ill save more money.

if that happens, would the anarchistra still be able to come out?

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
So this is by no means a done deal as I don't have all the money for a flight yet, but if I can get out there from the UK I'd be flying into LA. I'm wondering if anyone is driving from that area, around the dates of the jamboree and could give me a lift? Please and Thank you.

Obviously I'll have fuel money and will regale you with stories of foreign lands in my exotic English accent :p Or if hiring a car is an option I'd be down to share the driving (slight disclaimer, I have never driven on the right hand side of the road, but it's an adventure so buckle up, we'll be fine ;))

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
Id really like to make it this year, leaving from Montreal. I'm on foot though, so if anyone leaves from the north-east amd gives me a ride, it'd be really appreciated, and I'd go for sure!!

Skii

Reaction score
No promises as of yet.. depends on a great number of variables between myself & the Beast & where the hell i am..

you know.. i am tempted to maybe get a goddamned bus *with the seats fucking in*...
but..

there are enough crazy ideas floating around here, already..

if i get condemned back to North Dakota, the jambo looks more promising..

if i get a regular gig that pays enough to save up for a boat, well.. the jambo is prolly off radar, hence the early arrival & departure back march/april..

i have to say, the bike trip sounds .. interesting...

i'm just going to randomly think, here..

--let's see.. a larger rig that can pick folks up will run about 50 - 75 cents a mile, assuming it's in good working condition.. not so good? figure a buck a mile..
i want fucking @Odin, there..
& @Tude..

& goddamn yes, Mr Kim Fucking Chee..

hmm.. small vehicles can be as little as 20 cents a mile.. maybe even less, depending almost entirely on gas..

i'm just wondering if there may not be some kind of tactical approach to managing rides..

one thing that kind of strikes me might be a pot for rideshare funds..

Matt?

i dunno if it would be possible to set up another donation banner (with a progress or amount bar) that would let people kick down, but if there were it might be interesting.. the $ would serve as both a resource and an incentive.. it would have to be understood that once donated, it belongs to the pot, and a contribution doesn't mean a guaranteed re-distribution.

the thing is that seeing that pot increase wouldn't only add motivation & hope, it would be a point that folks could use as a basic reference for where they should be when the time comes to congregate for the journey.

let's say between here & mid october 4 or 5 hundred gets thrown in..
look like, for instance, that Albuquerque, NM to the Library is ~700 miles.

i dunno.. i can see a progressive formula, but.. 1 cent per person per mile, up to 5? then 1.25 cents up to 10?

700 miles, 3 people = $21

700 miles, 5 people = $35

700 miles.. 8 people = $70

it makes a real dent in costs, & depending on how many folks actually rubber tramp it, it could go up or down..

just some thoughts.. but.. if somebody knows they'll have the gas to make it & can shove 6 or 7 people into a wagon, well.. at 20mpg, $40 could cover 1/2 the trip out..

people either have to show up with their head count, though, or be entirely trustable..

anyways.. a lot of crap to do, today..
I wanted go I don't want to miss this I am in LA county in the San Fernando Vally needing a ride will have pitch np hmu pleash

Skii

Reaction score
So this is by no means a done deal as I don't have all the money for a flight yet, but if I can get out there from the UK I'd be flying into LA. I'm wondering if anyone is driving from that area, around the dates of the jamboree and could give me a lift? Please and Thank you.

Obviously I'll have fuel money and will regale you with stories of foreign lands in my exotic English accent :p Or if hiring a car is an option I'd be down to share the driving (slight disclaimer, I have never driven on the right hand side of the road, but it's an adventure so buckle up, we'll be fine ;))
I'm in the LA area and really trying to make it out maybe we can pitch for a ride together I will have money by then

Reaction score
I'll be coming down from Virginia solo with a Honda Element, and heading back the same direction. Currently have 3 seats open for those who want to hitch a ride.
Depending on which route you take, I am down in North Carolina (Charlotte area) and the mutt and I would love to join you cross country :)

Reactions: Grav3yardgirl89

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm definitely planning on attending the Jamboree, and I have plenty of space for passengers. Assuming, of course, that you don't mind sharing ALL of your personal space with my 80+lbs fur baby, Krush. I'm not certain exactly where I'll be coming from yet, but I'll keep you all posted.

Aleus

Reaction score
If anyone is going from the Santa Rosa or Boonville CA area I'd love to catch a ride.
Assuming that's where I'll be when the time arrives. I've got stagehand, construction, kitchen, trash team, security and assorted other experience and would be down to help out in any way possible.

Reactions: Matt Derrick
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads