Official 2019 StP Jamboree Information! (1 Viewer)

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Jambo Organizer
Current Location
Slab City, Ca
For the past four years, we've been meeting up in Slab City, California for our annual gathering of travelers from the online community Squat the Planet. This year we are breaking with tradition slightly with a pre-jambo meet-up at Slab City Library, taking a stop at another meet-up point in Joshua Tree (probably The Saloon), where we'll have a meal before we caravan to a secret location on the outskirts of Joshua Tree National Park to begin our crazy weekend. From there we will be setting out on a group expedition to explore some abandoned mines and hopefully locate a 100+ year old ghost-town deep in the desert.

People interested in attending should meet up at Slab City Library over the week leading up to and by the morning of November 9th, 2019. From there we will pile into my school bus (and hopefully a few other vehicles) and drive to the second rendezvous point, picking up any stragglers along the way, and then to the chosen location. This location will not be published here, so if you want to attend, make sure to get to one of the two meet-up points by November 9th or if you are showing up later that weekend, just get to Joshua Tree and you will be able to get directions from us then.

We will have some supplies available (whatever community food we can all muster, booze, a finite amount of water, etc), but you are expected to bring enough supplies to sustain yourself for the weekend. This includes water (2 gallons per day is safe enough), food, and any camping supplies you might need. This is going to be a rather rugged excursion. We also will organize supply runs as needed. Standard travel gear and flashlights should be sufficient, but keep in mind you'll be in the middle of the goddamn desert, so having some survival gear doesn't hurt as well as some electrolyte drink mixes, a shawl or hat to keep the sun off, and some emergency camping rations!

Afterwards, we will return to the library where some of us will be staying for the winter. You're welcome to return and hang out after the Jambo, but you're not guaranteed a crew position and should be prepared to find a place to establish your own camp outside the library grounds (we can help you find a good spot).

Awesome! How do I get there?

Here's a map to Slabs and The Library! (Meet-up between beginning of November to the morning of the 9th)

And here's a map to Joshua Tree Saloon! (Meet-up evening of November 9th)

The closest town to Slab City is Niland, which is on the 111 highway, approximately 36 miles north of El Centro, California. Niland is a three mile walk from the Slabs. It's not difficult, and 90% of the time if somebody sees you walking along the road and they have room, you'll get picked up. I've almost never had to walk the whole three miles.

By Car: If you're coming via San Diego or from the East, you should take the I-8 freeway to El Centro, then head north on the 111 highway. If you're coming from Los Angeles, you should take the I-10 freeway east to the 111 south. Northeast, you should come via highway 78.

By Bus: The closest you can get to Slab City via Greyhound is El Centro.

By Train: A north/south bound UP train actually goes right through Niland, but almost 90% of the time it doesn't stop there or anywhere near it, it just goes right through. Best bet would be to make your way to Indio, hop off there and hitch the remaining distance to Niland. If someone can provide more detail on this, please let us know.

El Centro actually has a daily metro bus that goes to Niland for the amazing price of $1. So if you're hitching, that dollar will save you quite a bit of distance. Unfortunately it only leaves once every few hours between 5:45am and 8:45pm.

What do I need to bring?
  • The usual travel gear, pack, sleeping bag, etc...
  • A tent and tarp will probably be extremely useful.
  • Water! Bring at least two gallons with you to start. You can refill at the Library for 25 cents a gallon and/or for some elbow grease but once we're in the actual wasteland, we'll be on whatever reserves we can manage to haul out.
  • Food! So you don't starve. Obviously you're going to want non-perishable, highly nutritious survival food. If you're not sure what that means, do a little research please.
  • Toilet paper and a small shovel. We will be nowhere near toilets.
Where can I get supplies?
  • The nearest grocery store is in Niland (a three mile walk from the slabs).
  • The easiest water source in town is at the Niland grocery store, where you can buy filtered water for $0.30/gal (bring a container).
What else should I know?

If you want to get a better idea of what Slab City is, check out my youtube channel Cornelius Vango - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh3SpI_QxJvaPb9S2IiU0JQ

Since we're announcing this so early we're still working everything out. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions, post them here and we'll address them the best we can. Now go tell your friends!

StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree - https://squattheplanet.com/fest/

If you're attending, please RSVP with a comment below so we can get an idea of how many people to expect!

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Jerrell

Rambler
Current Location
Western IA
Website
jerrellofearth.wordpress.com
One thing I noticed about traveling through Joshua Tree is no cell signal, at least on Straight Talk (Verizon towers) while I was in most of the park.
Glad you guys decided on the JT thing, it sounds fun!

OP
Cornelius Vango

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Jambo Organizer
Current Location
Slab City, Ca
Guys i just made a BIG EDIT to the date of the jambo! If youre following along, we've discussed logistics and have decided to move the date to over a month later. Just posting to make sure this is noted by all of you! Sorry for any confusion!

Flipper

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Metro Atlanta
I'm looking forward to trying to make it out there! I'd be my first time doing something like this!

WanderingBear

Current Location
Arizona
For the past four years, we've been meeting up in Slab City, California for our annual gathering of travelers from the online community Squat the Planet. This year we are breaking with tradition slightly with a pre-jambo meet-up at Slab City Library, taking a stop at another meet-up point in Joshua Tree (probably The Saloon), where we'll have a meal before we caravan to a secret location on the outskirts of Joshua Tree National Park to begin our crazy weekend. From there we will be setting out on a group expedition to explore some abandoned mines and hopefully locate a 100+ year old ghost-town deep in the desert.

People interested in attending should meet up at Slab City Library over the week leading up to and by the morning of November 9th, 2019. From there we will pile into my school bus (and hopefully a few other vehicles) and drive to the second rendezvous point, picking up any stragglers along the way, and then to the chosen location. This location will not be published here, so if you want to attend, make sure to get to one of the two meet-up points by November 9th or if you are showing up later that weekend, just get to Joshua Tree and you will be able to get directions from us then.

We will have some supplies available (whatever community food we can all muster, booze, a finite amount of water, etc), but you are expected to bring enough supplies to sustain yourself for the weekend. This includes water (2 gallons per day is safe enough), food, and any camping supplies you might need. This is going to be a rather rugged excursion. We also will organize supply runs as needed. Standard travel gear and flashlights should be sufficient, but keep in mind you'll be in the middle of the goddamn desert, so having some survival gear doesn't hurt as well as some electrolyte drink mixes, a shawl or hat to keep the sun off, and some emergency camping rations!

Afterwards, we will return to the library where some of us will be staying for the winter. You're welcome to return and hang out after the Jambo, but you're not guaranteed a crew position and should be prepared to find a place to establish your own camp outside the library grounds (we can help you find a good spot).

Here's a map to Slabs and The Library! (Meet-up between beginning of November to the morning of the 9th)

The closest town to Slab City is Niland, which is on the 111 highway, approximately 36 miles north of El Centro, California. Niland is a three mile walk from the Slabs. It's not difficult, and 90% of the time if somebody sees you walking along the road and they have room, you'll get picked up. I've almost never had to walk the whole three miles.

By Car: If you're coming via San Diego or from the East, you should take the I-8 freeway to El Centro, then head north on the 111 highway. If you're coming from Los Angeles, you should take the I-10 freeway east to the 111 south. Northeast, you should come via highway 78.

By Train: A north/south bound UP train actually goes right through Niland, but almost 90% of the time it doesn't stop there or anywhere near it, it just goes right through. Best bet would be to make your way to Indio, hop off there and hitch the remaining distance to Niland. If someone can provide more detail on this, please let us know.

El Centro actually has a daily metro bus that goes to Niland for the amazing price of $1. So if you're hitching, that dollar will save you quite a bit of distance. Unfortunately it only leaves once every few hours between 5:45am and 8:45pm.

What do I need to bring?
  • Water! Bring at least two gallons with you to start. You can refill at the Library for 25 cents a gallon and/or for some elbow grease but once we're in the actual wasteland, we'll be on whatever reserves we can manage to haul out.
  • Food! So you don't starve. Obviously you're going to want non-perishable, highly nutritious survival food. If you're not sure what that means, do a little research please.
  • The easiest water source in town is at the Niland grocery store, where you can buy filtered water for $0.30/gal (bring a container).
What else should I know?

I'm not sure! Since we're announcing this so early we're still working everything out. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions, post them here and we'll address them the best we can. Now go tell your friends!

If you're attending, please RSVP with a comment below so we can get an idea of how many people to expect!
I most def would enjoy this! Ive explored a few dozen old ghost towns and mines in the PNW and AZ but none in Cali. Also I can drive some peeps too if you need. :)

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV

What do I need to bring?
What else should I know?

I'm not sure! Since we're announcing this so early we're still working everything out. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions, post them here and we'll address them the best we can. Now go tell your friends!

I hitchhiked to Slab City New Years Eve into 2012. It was fun, acid trip, hot spring, partying, more partying, more partying, woke up in the sand next to a creosote bush.

I just realized, Slab City has no water. It all has to be brought there, this is kind of surprising, actually, considering the amount of farming going on between Niland and the California border. Have full time residents not considered figuring out the logistics of drilling a well? Just wondering...

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Have full time residents not considered figuring out the logistics of drilling a well?
considering slab city has been squatted for nearly 50 years, i would assume that yes, it's been attempted at some point or another. it's important to keep in mind that being a former military base, the ground has all kinds of bullshit pollutants in it, and I've even heard it's technically an EPA 'disaster' site, meaning, that it's unfit for general development. this includes any drinking water you might find by drilling a well (assuming there's water somewhere in that area, which there probably isn't).

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
considering slab city has been squatted for nearly 50 years, i would assume that yes, it's been attempted at some point or another. it's important to keep in mind that being a former military base, the ground has all kinds of bullshit pollutants in it, and I've even heard it's technically an EPA 'disaster' site, meaning, that it's unfit for general development. this includes any drinking water you might find by drilling a well (assuming there's water somewhere in that area, which there probably isn't).
Good point.

OP
Cornelius Vango

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Jambo Organizer
Current Location
Slab City, Ca
I just realized, Slab City has no water. It all has to be brought there, this is kind of surprising, actually, considering the amount of farming going on between Niland and the California border. Have full time residents not considered figuring out the logistics of drilling a well? Just wondering...
This is kind of not on topic and i just realized my signature isnt there anymore... If you have basic slab questions, go check out my youtube channel Cornelius Vango - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh3SpI_QxJvaPb9S2IiU0JQ

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
This is kind of not on topic and i just realized my signature isnt there anymore... If you have basic slab questions, go check out my youtube channel Cornelius Vango - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh3SpI_QxJvaPb9S2IiU0JQ
My internet is a little slow to watch youtube channels most of the time, but yours look pretty interesting. I did watch you drive around in that van for 10 minutes with the garbage. Of the 150 or so listed, none of them have the word water in there title. So which one would you recommend? Looks like the Imperial Valley farm land is actually irrigated from the Colorado River, via the Imperial Dam/All-American canal, a water supply which 500 farms control the rights too. According to a Bloomberg article. I suppose if most Slab City residents are visiting for a short time or seasonally you just bring the water you need, obviously. I doubt the state would even allow a well to be drilled there.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
My internet is a little slow to watch youtube channels most of the time, but yours look pretty interesting. I did watch you drive around in that van for 10 minutes with the garbage. Of the 150 or so listed, none of them have the word water in there title. So which one would you recommend? Looks like the Imperial Valley farm land is actually irrigated from the Colorado River, via the Imperial Dam/All-American canal, a water supply which 500 farms control the rights too. According to a Bloomberg article. I suppose if most Slab City residents are visiting for a short time or seasonally you just bring the water you need, obviously. I doubt the state would even allow a well to be drilled there.
I agree this is a topic best put to a new thread. Also, the 'water in Slab City?' question has been answered multiple times if you do a simple search of the forums here.

LocalWeirdo

Lurker
Current Location
united kingdom
If anyone is heading here from Oregon and has a spare seat / Wouldn't mind hitching a ride together let me know I'd love to go but it would be way more fun with a travel buddy - Effy

LocalWeirdo

Lurker
Current Location
united kingdom
Thankyou for the info! I'd love to at least to try hang out while you're in Oregon and come along for some adventures on your trip Like you mentioned in your post I'm a female travelling alone so its always less intimidating in groups

Effy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I got my first trespass in over five years of riding, but the bull in clovis was doing that thing were he scans the cars from a ladder and my bike had the back wheel off so i couldnt run. I caught the next train after he let me go.
The amarillo northyard hopout is trashed, can yall clean up after yourself. No wonder they put up all these new fences here.
just now saw yet another article of people talking photos of themselves and falling into a waterfall and being pummeled into drowning - why people why - i recall when i first heard something like this out at Silver Falls eas of Corvallis, I think it was 2012 or 2013, but it never ceases to amaze me that it happens so much all over the world
Hitched into Quebec City, got a free wristband to a music festival with The Offspring and Blink-182 playing!! Good times, now off to Charny, back on the rails!
'All I know is that I dont know nothin'
Fillmore, California... California is the ultimate shithole..!!!
how many of you get inspired when you watch 'into the wild'??? i know it always makes me want to hit the road.
Faceplant wrote on NotmybestNotmyworst's profile.
Come here, let me give you a big, loving hug. But don’t pick up the soap.
Looking for folks in Nyc, tips also welcome!

Members online