2018 Jamboree - Official 2018 StP Jamboree Information! | Squat the Planet

2018 Jamboree Official 2018 StP Jamboree Information!

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2018 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
What is the Dirty Scouts Jamboree?

The Dirty Scouts Jamboree is the tongue-and-cheek name we've given to the annual meetup of misfit travelers from the online community Squat the Planet. This is going to be a rare opportunity to hang out and get to know a lot of the people from the StP website in real life and possibly find others to travel with after the event.

What happens at the Jamboree depends largely on what you put into it; last year was mashup of lockpicking, kendo fighting, and sight-seeing; so who knows how wild shit will get this year. Expect some urban exploring around the Salton Sea, playing music around the campfire, watching a few travel films at night, and generally partying our asses off.

This year's event will take place November 9th - 11th, in Slab City, California.

Faseshit Event Page

About Slab City

If you've never heard of Slab City before, it's an area of southern California that was formerly a military base, but now exists as a popular snowbird retreat. It has as few as 100 residents in the summer and as high as 1100+ during the winter. Portions of the military base still exist as concrete foundations that give the Slabs it's name. It's located next to the Chocolate Mountains Aerial Gunnery Range, which often puts on quite a show at night (and sometimes during the day) as the military performs practice maneuvers and drops various kinds of ordinance throughout the fenced off area. You can often see (and feel) the bombs going off between the Slabs and the Chocolate Mountains in the distance.

slabcollage-jpg-23503-jpg.jpg

There's a lot of things to do and places to explore throughout Slab City, including "The Range" run by Builder Bill, who puts on a life open mic night every Saturday. This is often the best opportunity to mingle and meet other folks in the Slabs all in one place. In addition to local bands, it's not unusual for bands from as far as Los Angeles and San Diego to occasionally show up and perform.

hot-springs-slab-city-jpg.jpg

Slab City is also home to the infamous Salvation Mountain, a huge mural painted around "The Tanks", it's own hot springs, and a decent sized piece of desert to explore around it. Within driving range is the Glamis sand dunes, the mud pots, and all kinds of exploration opportunities around the Salton Sea.

About the Library

librarycollage-jpg-23496-jpg.jpg

Andrew @VikingAdventurer and Cornelius @Cornelius Vango , curators of the Slab City library have been kind enough to host us once again at the beautiful Lizard Tree Library located right next to the canal (so it'll be easy to beat the heat)!

As a thank you, we're asking that anyone attending the event this year bring at least one quality zine to donate to the library. Think of it as paying the price of admission; although we won't be turning anyone away, the library could really use your donations to expand it's current collection of materials. If you'd like to help out further, click here to see a list of other materials the library needs!

For those that don't know, the Lizard Tree Library in Slab City was a place where folks could leave books and take books for the whole Slab community. Unfortunately after the original owner passed away, it went neglected for quite a long time, until Cornelius and friends came along, and they've been hard at work rebuilding it, so if you can help out in some way while you're there, please do!

The above video features @Cornelius Vango interviewing @VikingAdventurer about his first day as the new head librarian. If you haven't been before, this video gives you a good idea of how the library operates and what they're all about! Check it out and subscribe to both of their channels!

Awesome! I'm sold! How do I get there!?!

slabcity-png.png

The closest town to Slab City is Niland, which is on the 111 highway, approximately 36 miles north of El Centro, California. Niland is a three mile walk from the Slabs. It's not difficult, and 90% of the time if a slabber sees you walking along the road and they have room, you'll get picked up.

By Car: If you're coming via San Diego or from the East, you should take the I-8 freeway to El Centro, then head north on the 111 highway. If you're coming from Los Angeles, you should take the I-10 freeway east to the 111 south. Northeast, you should come via highway 78.

By Bus: The closest you can get to Slab City via Greyhound is El Centro, California.

By Train: A north/south bound UP train actually goes right through Niland, but almost 90% of the time it doesn't stop there or anywhere near it, it just goes right through. Best bet would be to make your way to Indio, hop off there and hitch the remaining distance to Niland. If someone can provide more detail on this, please let us know.

Important! El Centro actually has a daily metro bus that goes to Niland for the amazing price of one dollar! So if you're hitchhiking or arriving via Greyhound, we highly recommend taking this bus to cover the last 36 miles to Niland. Unfortunately it only leaves once every few hours between 5:45am and 8:45pm (and does not run on sundays). You can find more information at http://www.ivtransit.com.

How to get from Niland to the Lizard Tree Library:

In case there's any confusion about where to go, this map shows how to walk from the main drag of Niland to the Lizard Tree Library in the Slabs!

What do I need to bring?
  • At least one zine for the library (What's a zine?)
  • The usual travel gear, pack, sleeping bag, etc...
  • A hammock/tent will probably be extremely useful.
  • Water! Bring at least a gallon. You can refill water in Niland.
  • Food! So you don't starve.
  • If you want to help out the library, bring any building supplies you can or something from their wishlist.
Where can I get supplies?
  • The nearest grocery store is in Niland (a three mile walk from the slabs).
  • If you can chip in a few dollars for the weekend, you can drink off the library's water supply, but it costs us money to get it carted out there, hence the requested donation. You can also buy filtered water for $0.40/gal (bring a container) at the grocery store. Some folks have drank the canal water without problems, but do so at your own risk.
Can I help out or volunteer?

Absolutely! We need people to bring food, booze, vehicles, money, or their own two hands to help set up and clean up after the event.
  • If you'd like to host a workshop, read this and then post a new thread about it so we can discuss the details!
  • Make a post in this thread if you'd like to volunteer to help setup before the event or clean up afterwards.
  • Do you play music or have a band that would like to come out? Let us know!
  • You can make suggestions for movies to screen a the event here.
  • The Library needs various supplies to sustain itself; here's their wishlist if you'd like to help out!

What else should I know?

I'm not sure! Since we're announcing this so early we're still working everything out. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions, post them here and we'll address them the best we can. Now go tell your friends!

https://squattheplanet.com/fest/

If you're attending, please RSVP with a comment below so we can get an idea of how many people to expect!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 20975

If im free and if i make it into the states. Lots of ifs eh :p I will be there. Gonna visit my mom in florida (shes gonna be there just before this which is cool) then head my way from there. Thank god gas is cheaper there. I hope i make it.

croc

Reaction score
I will be there affff

Jerrell

Reaction score
I plan on making it out there!

Tadaa

Reaction score
Ya sleepy marsupial will be there! See you in the Slabs! :D

hmm.. now i am thinking about going ..
trying the settled down life again. 2 months. and this other ´real life´ is hitting me hard. but no money left.. if my taxes from the last few years come any time soon i ll join you on a cross country train trip ( if you re leaving from NY.
we can pick up @Thewalkindude in MPLS or wherever he ll be roaming by then

hope you re having a nice trip at the moment

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
if my taxes from the last few years come any time soon i ll join you on a cross country train trip

hope you re having a nice trip at the moment

Dude, yes! Let me know! So down, was planning on riding out to Jambo. We can meet up with @croc too!

I'm home working for the summer, it sucks but by the end of it I'll have enough to hit the states for the fall and then Australia..!

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm going to try *again* to attend this year. Gotta figure out the whole train thing down from Oregon.

Reactions: Phranque Trayne

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Really rad post to start this thread, Andy.
I missed last year, but will absolutely be there.
Got a vehicle this time and the ability to bring goods and supplies. Also hoping to be a part of setup and breakdown. As we get closer, I can confirm that bit in the volunteer thread.

Reactions: EphemeralStick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Shaka

That One Guy
Reaction score
Cant wait to meet yall. This is a stare off with a herd i had yesterday.

Attachments

• 20180720_174602.jpg
    20180720_174602.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 385

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
... Also, could books be donated instead of zines?

Yes; depending on what the subject is. We're generally pretty good on books these days, but at the same time, we're always seeking more books on the subjects of:
- Art & Poetry
- Gender & Sexuality
- "Alternative" Religions (non-christian stuff, cuz we have PLENTY of christian reading materials)
- Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Hope to see ya at the Jambo! ::drinkingbuddy::

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads