Seeking Ride NYC to Britt Iowa for Hobo Convention? (1 Viewer)

bozotexino

Lurker
Traveling from
New York City
Destination
Britt, Iowa (or thereabouts)
I wanna check out the Hobo Convention in Britt before I go to a friends wedding in Brookings South Dakota. If anyone is driving from NYC to anywhere near that area I'd share driving/gas. Minneapolis works too.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
The britt "hobo convention" is going to be a huge disappointment if yer expecting anything more then townies donning wide brimmed hats and bandanas for a afternoon then 24 hours later having cops ticket/arrest any homeless looking people to get em outta town asap. It's a parade for locals, nothing more. It ain't what it used to be, from what I hear it wasn't always like that, but you know how shit goes.

OP
bozotexino

bozotexino

Lurker
The britt "hobo convention" is going to be a huge disappointment if yer expecting anything more then townies donning wide brimmed hats and bandanas for a afternoon then 24 hours later having cops ticket/arrest any homeless looking people to get em outta town asap. It's a parade for locals, nothing more. It ain't what it used to be, from what I hear it wasn't always like that, but you know how shit goes.
Yeah it's cool - I'm fully aware that it has little to nothing to do with actual hobo-ing anymore. I just look at it as a little slice of Americana. I've never been to a small town parade like that. I also wanna check out the museum.

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
Yeah it's cool - I'm fully aware that it has little to nothing to do with actual hobo-ing anymore. I just look at it as a little slice of Americana. I've never been to a small town parade like that. I also wanna check out the museum.
How come you’re not riding there? Stuff a tuxedo for the wedding inside you bindle stick or backpack.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
Yeah I have never been I but your right! My buddy Bruce (of BBCRC) just stopped at my place on his way to Britt, think he's going to do a little table to rep BBCRC or something. I was really actually planning on going this year, as you can technically still ride trains there. CP owns those tracks, I figured out my route but ran out of time. Still going to Iowa soon but not Britt, heading to SE Iowa instead.

It seems the Hobo Days thing is just celebrating an American past time, but it doesn't mean theres not room for some modern day "real hobos" to make there mark and hang out, I think I will probably go next year.

FYI as far as I know "Tramp Fest" spawned from peoples frustration with Hobo Days....

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
@Brodiesel710 Ah the good ol "big Bruce's center for rent collection" haha.

Tramp fesfes may very well be folks response to britts festival being a joke for suit I dunno at the very least 10 years. I'm not sure though I'm admittedly a bit outta the loop these days.

OP
bozotexino

bozotexino

Lurker
How come you’re not riding there? Stuff a tuxedo for the wedding inside you bindle stick or backpack.
The original plan was to ride there but I just didn't have enough time to make it happen. Next year!

OP
bozotexino

bozotexino

Lurker
Yeah I have never been I but your right! My buddy Bruce (of BBCRC) just stopped at my place on his way to Britt, think he's going to do a little table to rep BBCRC or something. I was really actually planning on going this year, as you can technically still ride trains there. CP owns those tracks, I figured out my route but ran out of time. Still going to Iowa soon but not Britt, heading to SE Iowa instead.

It seems the Hobo Days thing is just celebrating an American past time, but it doesn't mean theres not room for some modern day "real hobos" to make there mark and hang out, I think I will probably go next year.

FYI as far as I know "Tramp Fest" spawned from peoples frustration with Hobo Days....
So I ended up only being there for like a day but it was pretty sweet! And there we're a bunch of kids who actually hop freight trains there and all the older people actually hopped trains back in the day. Everyone in the town was super nice and welcoming.

If you wanna hop trains there the closest yard is Mason City although they said it get's a little hot around the time of the convention bc they're on the look out for train hoppers. Apparently they've made a bunch of arrests in the past.

Trains still go through Britt daily but I don't think they ever slow down enough for you to hop off of.

Also a funny side note, South Dakota State University has a Hobo Day's parade every year. Their mascot is a friggin hobo. Hobo Day: October 5th, 2019 - https://www.sdstate.edu/hobo-day-october-5th-2019

Yeah, I wanna go to BBCRC as well. When is Rail Days this year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $15.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $15.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $15.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $15.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Roof vent is installed, fixed the side mirror, mounted the solar panels and ran the wires into the van. Currently working on putting in the floor. It's a lot but I'm making steady progress.
Anyone is Portland wanna kick it for a night and get motey'd up?!
Wowzers I'm glad I was off the site for the duration of The Pronoun Thread, as it's been titled. Holy shit. I know for a fact I would have gotten sucked into it and I'm not sure if that would've been a good thing lol
48 hours from HELL, lost thirteen hundred dollars, thats a fuckload on a pension! lost two ducks to the heat, the key for teh vespa is goign to cost an unbelievable amount says the cheerful vespa mechanic,and i need two new tyres, a new belt and rollersaswell! the generator died, wake up, the dogs cold and dead besides me and for the icing on the cake, lost my fucking bankcard and the bank tellers was a twat to me!!!ANYONE nearby bring booze and cigs and cheer!!!!FARRRKKKKKKK
On the side of the road 8 miles from Paint Rock, TX
Anyone have tips for cool chill spots dwntwn jacksonville,
Heading up to NYC soon. Gotta start from scratch again and been getting the itch to go somewhere anyways.
Almost to Jax anyone about?
Cinderella castle would make a damn good apocalypse house
A Simple Step Van wrote on snailormoon's profile.
Welcome to the site. Whattaya mean when you say you work with native Californian wildlife? Like, do you get paid for it or is it sarcasm? Curious am I. ~ peace

Members online