Nya:weh' Sgeno'

Naomi Leigh

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
"I am thankful you are well."

This is how we greet one another in my native tongue, Seneca or Onondawaga.

I grew up on the Allegheny Indian reservation in western New York about an hour south of Buffalo my whole life. My tribe has more amenities and opportunities than others but it is at the same time still a P.O.W. camp. The poverty, hopelessness, drug and alcohol abuse, sexual and physical violence, etc. that is the Native community has been a part of my life ever since I could realize what was going on around me.

Ever since I was eight years old I dreamed of travel and made plans with my Native and non-Native friends to get out of there and see the country. When I was fourteen and consumed by my alcoholism and self destructive behaviors coupled with my parent's crippling heroin addiction I became ensnared in the youth judicial system. I was on and off probation from the ages fourteen to sixteen but one incident in general is what I recall about this period of time.

I had gotten arrested, violated probation, and was told I would be sent to a juvenile detention facility the next morning and they released me to my parents. My mom is Seneca and my dad is non-Native and were both Dead Heads and travelers and I remember telling them that night that I was going to pack up and jump on the on ramp of the 86 that runs straight through our rez. They said two things: "Okay." "Do it." They knew it would be better than being locked up. All I can remember is that this was the first time I saw "the line" or "the wall" that was my reservation. As if the world was cut off past that line. It wasn't so much that I was afraid of what was on the other side, we would go into the non-Native towns nearby all the time to shop and whatnot, but this was the first time I really realized that I was meant to be kept inside of those lines for a reason. I didn't know if I was a threat to society or society was a threat to me. Either way it was enough for me to hopelessly give up and surrender to the court system and my addictions.

Fast forwarding a bit: I was in and out of rehabs and detention centers for two years. I finally got tired of being part of the system and succumbed and tried to be as "normal" as I could. I totally let them beat any sense of rebelliousness out of me.

My senior year of high school I was off probation and all that and I started dating a Dead Head and taking and selling psychedelics and going to shows and festivals. Kind of stereotypical but everybody has to start somewhere and this subculture led me to believe that there was a space in American society where a Native girl could (relatively) fit in and be accepted. I did this for four years but began to see the consumerism and competition in this "scene" and became really disenchanted with it. I was looking for more than they could offer me.

I had been attending university on a scholarship based on my ethnicity since 2011 and was studying Sociology, Philosophy, and Native American Studies and although I am incredibly passionate about these subjects, they are really heavy and made me cynical as fuck. I also began training to be a yoga teacher and studying the Tibetan Buddhist tradition and meditating daily for hours at a time. I mistakenly coupled this state of mind with L.S.D. and lost it. Completely lost any sense of self and really felt like I was dying. I wasn't ready for that. I began to have bad anxiety attacks and couldn't really integrate with people the way I used to. I quit everything cold turkey then and there for the next year or so.

I broke up with the Head in the fall of 2014 and began doing my own thing. I was hanging out with this guy and at a Phil Lesh show in N.Y.C. he offered me *a* hit of L and I was thinking I was in such a good place mentally that I was ready to do this. This was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. He dropped the liquid on the star tattoo on my hand and after I ate it his friend told me "That shit was microdotted so high that you could have taken anywhere from 35 to 100 hits of acid. We'll never know." Even longer story short: there are no words to express what I went through that night. The whole situation was equal parts terrifying and beautiful. I hope to never have to undergo a wash again but it really helped me lose any sense of fear or ego that I was holding onto.

I was really disenchanted with school at this point, newly gained my driver's license and had my own Chevy Tracker, and just decided to take a break from school and left with my student refund in late January and to head to Ocala, Florida in the sun and to meet up with some road dogs. This was the best decision of my life.

I met my partner there, and although he is a chronic alcoholic, we have a beautiful relationship and have traveled coast to coast four times with one another since February. He rode freight and hitched before he met me and I picked him up hitch hiking and we have been rubber tramping it ever since. We have an apartment for the semester in Syracuse, New York so we can save up money to pay off our "new" set of wheels and then it is back to Ocala in January and then to Europe after that.

Even through all of the lonely nights, the jail time, the hunger, the lack of spange, the empty sky, unforgiving weather and people, etc. it still has been the most beautiful ride of my life and I wouldn't trade this lifestyle for the world.

I read this cool book of poetry called "American Gypsy" and it talked about how Natives are displaced and we have been wandering this continent looking for a home that we will never get back. It is our curse/blessing to continue searching for something we may never find. But the beauty in it is that we find ourselves, and each other. This is true for all American Gypsies. I am thankful I have found you.

Thanks for reading,
-Naomi

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow - now that's an intro! And it sounds like you've been through a lot in your young life, but am glad you found us and your freedom. I've been through that reservation several times, it always seemed the busiest around the gas stations, aka place to buy cheap cigarettes. :( But I'm glad you are in a happier spot. You back in school now? (imagine SU?)

Reactions: Naomi Leigh

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Very well written introduction. Should be in the story section as well yet it is your intro...

Sociology, Philosophy, and Native American Studies and although I am incredibly passionate about these subjects, they are really heavy and made me cynical as fuck.

Yea Philosophy can be a catalyst for cynicism... specially if your deep into Nietzsche IMHO or read a history of Heidegger.

I read this cool book of poetry called "American Gypsy" and it talked about how Natives are displaced and we have been wandering this continent looking for a home that we will never get back.

Home is in the proverbial heart and those you have the courage to let in.

Chakotay: 2372 My people taught me, a man does not own land. He doesn't own anything but the courage and loyalty in his heart. That's where *my* power comes from.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
damn, that's a crazy story. if you wouldn't mind clarifying something for me though... i know reservations essentially run on their own governments, but does that apply to the legal system too? like, is the reason your parents said to go was because you wouldn't face prosecution outside the reservation? i'm just curious.

That shit was microdotted so high that you could have taken anywhere from 35 to 100 hits of acid

holy balls, i'd probably think i was in hell and jumped off something. i had a bad ten strip once and tripped for 2 1/2 days and was almost convinced i was permafried... i can't imagine what you went through in the dose you had.

Naomi Leigh

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Wow - now that's an intro! And it sounds like you've been through a lot in your young life, but am glad you found us and your freedom. I've been through that reservation several times, it always seemed the busiest around the gas stations, aka place to buy cheap cigarettes. :( But I'm glad you are in a happier spot. You back in school now? (imagine SU?)

Thank you so much!

Yep, I'm back at S.U. until December. After this I will only have one semester left and then 'll have my Bachelor's Degree. I am thinking of maybe finishing at Evergreen in Washington state but I'm not sure yet.

And yep, we are famous for the "Seneca" cigarettes haha people travel from a 60+ mile radius just to buy the cigarettes and fuel up on cheap gas while they're at it. What a small world :)

Reactions: Mankini

Naomi Leigh

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Very well written introduction. Should be in the story section as well yet it is your intro...

Yea Philosophy can be a catalyst for cynicism... specially if your deep into Nietzsche IMHO or read a history of Heidegger.

Home is in the proverbial heart and those you have the courage to let in.

Chakotay: 2372 My people taught me, a man does not own land. He doesn't own anything but the courage and loyalty in his heart. That's where *my* power comes from.

I loved Nietzsche and Heidegger! Maybe that was part of my "problem" haha I really dug the whole Existentialism perspective and was dabbling with Nihilism too. Not from the "fuck everything, nothing matters, we're all gonna die anyway" type of a perspective, but when you are studying society and philosophy and things that are so culturally relevant and subjective you learn that there is pretty much no absolute truths or moral codes. In philosophy courses you just go around and around and learn how to ask questions and what kind of questions to ask but don't really ever end up with answers. So it all boils down to subjectivity and perspective to me.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I am thinking of maybe finishing at Evergreen in Washington state but I'm not sure yet.

i have a BA in liberal arts from that college. it's pretty good depending on what you're trying to go for.

Reactions: Naomi Leigh

Naomi Leigh

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
damn, that's a crazy story. if you wouldn't mind clarifying something for me though... i know reservations essentially run on their own governments, but does that apply to the legal system too? like, is the reason your parents said to go was because you wouldn't face prosecution outside the reservation? i'm just curious.

holy balls, i'd probably think i was in hell and jumped off something. i had a bad ten strip once and tripped for 2 1/2 days and was almost convinced i was permafried... i can't imagine what you went through in the dose you had.

Permafried sounds about right! I was so convinced I was dying and I felt so sick and stayed up spun for two days but during the peak of the trip I just thought to myself: "Dying isn't supposed to be this scary. It isn't supposed to hurt like this, it is a release. I am afraid of dying and therefore hurting myself and causing unnecessary pain for myself. Right now I'm alive and I am here and when I am not I'll just move on to the next scene." And I felt a lot better. But I wouldn't wish such a heavy trip on anybody, not even my worst enemy. I'm glad you made it through that!

But I am from a town called Salamanca, New York and the interesting thing about my rez is that in the 1920s there was a "99 year lease" signed that leased out the "unused" Seneca land to non-Natives. So essentially we have a town of 1,100 people and a little less than half are Native and all of the non-Natives basically rent the land from the tribe. So they take out mortgages and pay rent and all that so they can "own" their homes but they will never really "own" it. So I have no idea why they stay. Technically, the tribe could "evict" the non-Natives but from a business perspective it would take even more resources away from the already small town and county.

So in Salamanca we have an integrated school, non-Native businesses, etc. but the trickiest part of the whole situation is that there is a "city" police department where none of the cops are Native. The tribe has its own Marshall department but it is kind of a joke and they don't have much authority and basically no authority over the non-Natives. So here you have all of these non-Native cops in a town full of "drunk Indians" and the racism is unbelievable. They have a whole different methodology of dealing with Natives than non-Natives and they turn the whole rez into police states. I mean, there are no rights for the townspeople. All of those posts you see online about asking why you are being detained or identified, search warrants, etc. go out the window. They cultivate this state of fear and no one there trusts the police because the majority of them are crooked and violent. I really don't think they have any cultural sensitivity training at all. But because the land is leased to non-Natives then those people need their own police force to keep things in order but it definitely clashes negatively with the Native population. So when I was in trouble with the law it was with the New York state judicial system, not a Seneca Nation law violation.

I remember the worst run in I had with one of these cops took place when I was 14 and I violated house arrest, was black out drunk, came to and I was covered in bruises from head to toe. I was being dragged into the police station and didn't know why I was hurt so bad and just started swinging and clipped this officer on the side of his face. He then proceeded to smash the back of my skull against the cement wall of the jail six times right in front of my mom and my 65 year old grandma. Can you imagine? A 14 year old girl. I remember waking up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning and being treated for my injuries and two female nurses standing above me talking about how the police did that to me and actually CRYING. I was a little freaked out but that was just the way life was, there was no real way I could fight it.

On a lighter note: somehow I was left unattended in the jail for a minute and was able to scrawl the lyrics from Leftover Crack's "Gang Control" in the New York State Penal Law book :D

Naomi Leigh

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i have a BA in liberal arts from that college. it's pretty good depending on what you're trying to go for.

Sociology would be my major and Native American Studies as my minor. I would like to try to attend grad school at U.W. in Seattle so it might be easier to transfer everything over from Evergreen than from Syracuse University in New York.

Reactions: Mankini

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Thank you so much!

Yep, I'm back at S.U. until December. After this I will only have one semester left and then 'll have my Bachelor's Degree. I am thinking of maybe finishing at Evergreen in Washington state but I'm not sure yet.

And yep, we are famous for the "Seneca" cigarettes haha people travel from a 60+ mile radius just to buy the cigarettes and fuel up on cheap gas while they're at it. What a small world :)

First off, my heart goes off to you at the suffering you endured - and again I repeat at your age or any age this should not happen <I edited this to include all ages btw>. And you have survived and are moving on. I applaud you! Get that degree and more knowledge. Eff the ones that oppressed you!

Keep it going!

But Ha - in the bars I worked at there people who made all aware that they were making the trip to the "Rez" so put your cigarette wants in here hehe. At all my bus stops in Rochester I have people constantly walking around me chanting "Senacas, Senacas, Senacas and a loosy pack of Newports". :D Ahh city life :D

And hey if ya ever get to Rochester I can crust/couch surf you and a friend. Don't know if the bf and I will be heading that way for a while. But I can also TRY (it's called herding rabbits) and gather a couple other stp here if you do get here. :)

Last edited:
D

deleted user

Thats an excellent life you lead, got me wanting to know what's next for you. Glad you shared and are here.

Also as a new yorker myself,... Fuck NY

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Reservations are an eye opening experience. I lived on one near Bridgeport with a pop. of 400 and it looked like the surface of the moon. You could drive 90 miles directly west to Yosemite and maybe see 30 houses. Nothing to do there except Baja style 'racing' in the desert, and shooting guns at the dump, so that's what I did. I had a Honda 250, an SKS, a winch. 30, a 10/22, and a huge portable stereo: combine those and the dump and that's about the extent of social life at that rez. I didn't discover 'culture' and literature until much later. We didn't have drugs: just cheap fireworks. Lol

PotBellyFatGuy

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
what exactly do you plan to do with these fields you are majoring in? anything ending in studies...native american, gender, african american, middle ages history, etc....these are not hard skills like that of stem fields. i went into liberal arts and by very good fortune was able to make good money but that's just real good luck. knowing what i know, i would have either learned a trade or completed a science-backed degree. what is your plan? don't pump money and time into something useless that won't lead to a job...you should also be doing an internship as a social worker (if you're going into that) now before you are removed from academia and have to compete with experienced and qualified adults...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads