Nothing to lose~

Out of Step

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm 19, male, high school graduate, typically atypical thought provoker, free thinking, and at the moment unfortunately very cynical.

Over the past six months, after having been kicked out of my house by a narrow-mindedly oppressive step father, I've been rejected student loans for a school I was finally accepted to, slept in my car throughout the entire winter season, lost my shitty retail job, and eventually(just a month ago) lost my car.

Now I'm living on my best friends bedroom floor for a few weeks, after being kicked out of my cousin's apartment because I couldn't find another job soon enough for her... if i still cant find a job by soon, I'm back on the street again.

I'm fed up with searching for a shitty under-paid, corporate slave job and getting nowhere with my efforts for finding one, even if it's something temporary.

I want to travel. I bought a bike with the little savings I have left. I have ambition. I have common sense, and a brain hungry for knowledge and experience.

I'm sick of trying to fit into this disgusting, terrifyingly inhumane and thoughtless American culture that I so obviously can not see myself lasting another month in, so I want to leave my area, and see if there's anything worth living for in any other part of this country, or maybe in some other country.

I just wish I could find something to make my life worth living, as I've stated in the title of this thread, I'm young, and I'm poor, so I've got nothing to lose... So I'd like to start looking as soon as possible.

I came across this site, and registered in the hopes of maybe finding some useful travel/sqauting tips/advice/general knowledge, and perhaps, people I could join who are already doing it, or people who would want to join me.

I will be completely ready to leave soon, I just changed the tires on my road bike and sold everything I had except for this computer and the things I can carry on my back.

Let me know if there's anything you think I should know before I do this, or if you're interested in joining me or having me join you.

I'm pretty serious about this, despite how noobish or juvenile this post may look to some of you who are experienced with living on the road or off of the earth, because I'm running out of options I'm comfortable with.

Also, I play music (various instruments) and have above average drawing skills(nothing I could make money off of as far I know).

Looking forward to any response, negative or positive in nature, although I'm much more hopeful for the latter...

Peace.

Dmac

Reaction score
you came to the right place! there is a lot of usful info on this site. what part of the country are you in?

Out of Step

Reaction score
Right now I'm about an hour northwest of Philadelphia, PA. I have never been any further than NYC, so I'm pretty eager to get the fuck out of here.

Jimmy James

Reaction score
I'm sick of trying to fit into this disgusting, terrifyingly inhumane and thoughtless American culture

I can relate. It's easier just to not fit into the proscribed bullshit, and do it your way. I'm still trying to figure it all out. It's like a maze sometimes.

I find that the less I have to deal w/ the system, the better I feel about things. In order to leave the culture, it helps to leave society itself...

Out of Step

Reaction score
I can relate. It's easier just to not fit into the proscribed bullshit, and do it your way. I'm still trying to figure it all out. It's like a maze sometimes.

I find that the less I have to deal w/ the system, the better I feel about things. In order to leave the culture, it helps to leave society itself...

which I hope to be doing very shortly, just don't know where I want to head to first...

Shark

Reaction score
Hey man where exactly are you in PA? You don't sound far from me and also wanna get out of this shit hole. I wanna try and leave this summer though. They whether has been extremely shitty lately.

EvaKS

Reaction score
Hey. Fuck sounds like times have been harsh for you. By bike to you mean motor or pedle? Im heading to the usa in july/august...we should hook up.

Out of Step

Reaction score
Shark: I'm in reading, PA. and yeah i want to leave by august or september, before the weather gets too extreme, maybe head south, or west, dunno yet.

EvakS: by bike i mean peddle. I have acquired an old fairly used road bike, converted to single speed ive been working on, tinkering around with it and trying to improve its performance/increase its lifespan, unfortunately i dont think itll last a 1000 mile tour without daily heavy maintenance, so im looking into hopping freight with it. idk for sure though, still trying to figure everything out and seeing if i can find a better road bike. lemme know what you think.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads