not wearing socks?

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Over the summer my boots took a shit and I downgraded to a pair of cheap walmart hikers. and for the month that they were worth, I had a chance at some nice steel toe red wings but took the black nikes instead.

Now that I've been traveling the bigger cities for awhile it hasn't made much sense to wear socks because of the lightweight footwear I have. Its too hot and I'm not wandering through the thick brush of the south I once was.

Its even been keeping fungus at bay because small bits of dirt and gravel get inbetween my toes and the absence of the socks moisture absorbing qualities.

My feet get dirty and I just wash them off whenever I find an applicable water source. And its nice not to have to worry about taking off the socks!

bystander

Reaction score
Never been a fan of the sockless feel.

I find my feet sloshing around in their own sweat- allowing the shoe to absorb the stench themselves.

when I was a kid I had some stank ass feet one summer- & friends / family all added their own two cents... the embarrassment was spectacular

To this day: I only wear my socks once before washing, and never wear shoes w/out them- situation permitting.

clean socks are only an issue when I'm lazy and don't to laundry though.

angerisagift

Reaction score
Never arrow-10x10.png been a fan of the sockless feel.

I find my feet sloshing around in their own sweat- allowing the shoe to absorb the stench themselves.

when I was a kid I had some stank ass feet one summer- & friends / family all added their own two cents... the embarrassment was spectacular

To this day: I only wear my socks once before washing, and never wear shoes w/out them- situation permitting.

clean socks are only an issue when I'm lazy and don't to laundry though.
PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wearsocks

Art101

Reaction score
Big fan o the socks.I will admit I dont generally wear them with the TOMS or my running shoes but if im in boots oh hells yeah.As for undergarments...free ballin since 95 lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Rhubarb Dwyer

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I like my Merrill hiking sandals, have owned other brands of hiking sandals too - And I do a ton of walking/hiking in them. Hehe - haven't had a pair of shoes on since the weather turned decent in the Spring (not counting bicycle shoes anyway).

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
You can get Darn Tough Socks, they have a lifetime warranty. They're expensive ($20/pair) but made really really well, I've never needed to replace them under warranty except for one pair that got a hole and it was my own fault. Shipped them back and got a new pair 4 days later. I've been using them for 4 years. That's a lot better than the extra pairs of merino wool blend I've picked up, those are usually destroyed within a few months.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Would you mind expanding on this?

Out west i use sage brush up north and rabbit brush down south. In the midwest and east, eastern red cedar seems to inhibit the growth of almost everything but eventually can grow mildew so you want to alternate with other plants

Last edited:

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
I'm having flashbacks of swamp ass and now visions of swamp foot.

Tell me @TheWindAndRain that this works for people who walk for many miles and can work up a sweat.

Of course thats what were talking about here isnt it? Ive walked more miles backwards like this than most have forward

Last edited:

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
This is a quote on rabbit brush from wikipedia that has me severely regretting using it while hiking all around los alamos last year

Specimens growing in Bayo Canyon, near Los Alamos, New Mexico, exhibit a concentration of radioactive strontium-90 300,000 times higher than a normal plant. Their roots reach into a closed nuclear waste treatment area, mistaking strontium for calcium due to its similar chemical properties. The radioactive shrubs are "indistinguishable from other shrubs without a Geiger counter."

::yuck::​

• Useful
Reactions: Kuchi Kopi

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I like my Merrill hiking sandals, have owned other brands of hiking sandals too - And I do a ton of walking/hiking in them. Hehe - haven't had a pair of shoes on since the weather turned decent in the Spring (not counting bicycle shoes anyway).

My Merrell water shoes are awesome! I've practically lived in them during the summer.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads