Not quite anything. (Religion and spirituality)

Cosmic Rob

Professional straight-edge
Reaction score
My motivation for travel has always been about finding a sense of community in the world. feeling good about the work i'm doing, who i'm working for, being a clean person, staying away from drugs, helping others when i can and being proud the life that i am always choosing to live. it hasn't always manifested itself that way to me, though it always seemed to at the time. i guess what i'm trying to say is that i'm over-the-rainbow scene in what feels like a dry culture. i've never considered myself anything besides 'Human" and i'm either disappointed or excluded by what i've found in the world. every kind of society demands that you be a certain way one way or another, while the way i feel i want to be is blocked off with red tape, or maybe just circumstance... i grew up christian, but i've also read into some history and i don't consider myself a fool when it comes to what might be 'the truth'- Buddhism has always been something i've respected for confessing the existence of free will. i also think it's stupid to say that everything we are has roots that are disconnected from the world, that someone should spend so long trying to somehow discern what that might be when you can just live your life, or to say that ones salivation is dependent on the opinions of a rebel, turned flying-zombie from "2,016" years ago.. My grandfather is dead and his words still shape my world today. i mourned his passing deeply, and it's not a joke to me; i can count my family on one hand and we will all be old one day. while a part of me calls myself Wiccan, or " i believe in god, just hold the bullshit." i perhaps understand how male and female energies are prevalent throughout nature and should be respected, but i don't think that reality whole is shaped very deeply by what is "his" and "hers", or what i've come to understand as magic. there isn't much of a community either, not unless you pay money or get involved with dramatic posturing with people who may not deserve it. after much thought, scientific process has *magically* become a real thing and medicine is a good thing- so is a genuine sense of transcendence, guidance and atonement. cause and effect! i've also seen some "unexplained" things in my time, both on my own and with others. some of these things i would easily consider magical, or perhaps alien, maybe even super dream like experiences, but nothing that would make me feel crazy or broken- just astonished beyond words. so why does psychology say these things make me so? that is to paradoxically say, i'm brought to my knees by living life. i am not here to just die. that climbing some infinite ladder of understanding seems silly to me. that an Amish man might enjoy flying in an airplane, should he ever find himself the occasion to so... which brings me to this- where can i go and live without electricity and use horse and buggy? care for animals, grow food and medicinal plants? or ritualistically celebrate nature without someone trying to shame me? I can scientifically prove that the sun is the dominant power on this planet and that fungus is a common link between all life. what community can i seek that isn't steeped into bad politics, buried in concrete, or subjugated by someone/something they can't see or visit in person? things break and life will always be exactly what it is, why would i pretend like it wont be?

Does anyone else have this kind of craving or feeling? been down the same sort of path? or have you been there and done that? are you a nomad? whats happened to you?

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
something like that feeling, yes. I think you answered your own question at the start. no matter where you go or who you go around its the same old song and dance. it's this age old thing that really doesn't get acknowledged too much about the desire between being a social creature and independent in ones thoughts. This love hate relationship with the world, humanity itself. And ironically its universal...even if unrealized.

as freud called it, the tension between the id and superego. Or the limbic system and the frontal lobes.

Cosmic Rob

Reaction score
The last part of what you said reaches too far out there i think, but yes, that's essentially what i'm saying.. so what pulls on your compass? is community something that you look for? even an independent thinker is bound by the human condition.

Cosmic Rob

Reaction score
I think so. like you said though, there's an edge. i wouldn't consider myself a Christian, a Wiccan or a Buddhist, or whatever specifically; i'm all of these things in the face of death. i wouldn't want to choose just one path, just to be shunned for embracing something i respect from the other.

Renegade

Reaction score
What i gathered from reading that is that perhaps you have an inner conflict going on.. i could be wrong but it sounds like it .. just keep searching for yourself.. someday you will find what you're looking for and as for living free from society .. there is many communes And farms that you may like to live at..

Cosmic Rob

Reaction score
lately i've been thinking that people with inner conflicts are the only ones who say that.

Reactions: Renegade

Renegade

Reaction score
I definitely do to some degree i think everyone does more or less..

Renegade

Reaction score
there's two kinds, ones who dont realize it and ones who do.

The awake people tend to realize it a lot wouldn't you say so?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads