Not my first.

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
Allo, This isn't my first introduction, but I lurk so much I kinda feel like popping up and saying hello again.

I'm 20, female and currently living in Bristol Uk. I love the city but as of last September I got pressured into a two year unviersity course and I was too much of a fucking idiot to back out of it. I spent most of my savings on that shit so i'm trying my best but I wish i'd had the balls to do what I wanted - get a flight over to New York and start travelling. I've been saving up to visit NY all my life but I guess i'll have to start over, or at least mostly. I have a little money stashed away that I managed to save from university and over priced city living.

I have noone to come with me, and have never really travelled before. I guess i'm looking to make some friends who can give me some info and good advice for when I hopefully start my trip 1.5 years down the line when I get out of study (unless I get kicked out and to be honest I won't be too gutted) . Whatever anyone says, flying across the atlantic alone and possibly permanently is fucking daunting.

Other than travelling my main interest is photography. I want to document the rest of my life -and hopefully my upcoming amazing adventures - on film.

Well. Hello again. Hopefully I can get talking to some interesting folk. Cheers!

dprogram

Reaction score
Welcome. :) Tons of cool people on the site and lots of info as you already know since you've been lurking. Oooh. You should post some cool UK pics... Good luck with your studies and adventures!

Reactions: Stinkyyy
D

Deleted member 125

for somebody who has never travelled before i wouldnt say new york is the best place to take a flight to. sounds like a recipe for you to get tangled up with junkie north east coast "squatter" or "traveler" kids, imo people who spend to much time in nyc either get strung out or just end up being bums. young bums, who make fun of the old bums for being old bums. you might have a little more luck on the west coast to start yer trip off on a more positive note. not that youd have a hard time finding people like that on the west coast if you wanted to.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
for somebody who has never travelled before i wouldnt say new york is the best place to take a flight to. sounds like a recipe for you to get tangled up with junkie north east coast "squatter" or "traveler" kids, imo people who spend to much time in nyc either get strung out or just end up being bums. young bums, who make fun of the old bums for being old bums. you might have a little more luck on the west coast to start yer trip off on a more positive note. not that youd have a hard time finding people like that on the west coast if you wanted to.

agreed, nyc can be a rough place to start out. im sure your reason for going to nyc is because that's where the flights go, but i would take a bus from there to somewhere easier to start out... hmm... now that i think about it, if possible, id start out on the west coast. but if you know people on the east coast, philadelphia is pretty cool, and baltimore is cool if you know folks there, but sucks if you don't.

new orleans and austin are easy places to start out as well.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
oh yeah, but keep in contact, and let me know when you get here and we should totally hang out. also, if you're interested, id like to maybe interview you at some point on the stp podcast im working on about what it's like to travel / live in the UK...

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think if you've been in school,doing something you not really into,that shows me that you have a lot of character ! With that said,you can walk thru anything,and survive, so take a good look at NYC,you be the judge !

Stinkyyy

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice guys - I've been told this by a lot of people, but i'm afraid I might have to be stubborn, unless something really swings my mind on starting out somewhere else ... While its a cool bonus that the flights go direct to NY, it's actually somewhere that i've wanted and been desperate to visit since I was a kid so its kinda of a 'must do' thing. Definately want to check out the west coat though, so maybe could go weat to east and back over to europe.

I have a long ass time in my shit course to decide I guess :p

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I say go to NYC,cause that is what you want to do,see for yourself !

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think we all can send you in the right direction,in NYC !

VitaminDe

Reaction score
I've been around NYC my whole life, and have spent way too long wanting to head west. Oh by the way, I just joined this site about five minutes ago, but instead of starting my own forum to introduce myself, I figured I'd bogart the limelight from someone else's, PHHH.

Seriously though, if you always wanted to see NY, you might as well go, especially since it's a direct flight. Then, like I think someone else said, you could meet up with some people from there and head west. By the way, I'm also looking for people to meet with. That aren't total junkies.

Reactions: ByronMc

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
I've been around NYC my whole life, and have spent way too long wanting to head west. Oh by the way, I just joined this site about five minutes ago, but instead of starting my own forum to introduce myself, I figured I'd bogart the limelight from someone else's, PHHH.

Seriously though, if you always wanted to see NY, you might as well go, especially since it's a direct flight. Then, like I think someone else said, you could meet up with some people from there and head west. By the way, I'm also looking for people to meet with. That aren't total junkies.

Awesome!
Yeah man, I mean while I need to take all the advice I can get and by no means know anything about the best places to go while travelling, one thing i do know is that if you've wanted to visit one place for most of your life, you have to go and do it. Get it outta your system.

I'll definitely hit you up if I get over there sooner than expected! You can show me round NY before heading out someplace else :p

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
one thing i do know is that if you've wanted to visit one place for most of your life, you have to go and do it. Get it outta your system....................................agreed !

VitaminDe

Reaction score
Awesome!
Yeah man, I mean while I need to take all the advice I can get and by no means know anything about the best places to go while travelling, one thing i do know is that if you've wanted to visit one place for most of your life, you have to go and do it. Get it outta your system.

I'll definitely hit you up if I get over there sooner than expected! You can show me round NY before heading out someplace else :p

I know, I've been meaning to do that for a lot of places/things. I think I'm finally ready to just do it, but it's been demotivating to plan on doing it alone. So yeah, keep in touch, I can definitely show you around NY!

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
oh yeah, but keep in contact, and let me know when you get here and we should totally hang out. also, if you're interested, id like to maybe interview you at some point on the stp podcast im working on about what it's like to travel / live in the UK...
Looking back on my old posts , bored to fuck, I'm still up for this BTW now I know what I'm doing too haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads