NO passport, no papers but traveling the world! | Squat the Planet

NO passport, no papers but traveling the world!

Reaction score
Yes, you read that correctly. This thread is for those rare folks that are traveling the world with no papers, no id, no nothing. Hopefully in this thread you will be able to give or receive some tips about hopping borders in EUROPE AND AFRICA. This thread should not cover the United States Mexico, Canada, or South America (There are other threads for those regions)

Topics that would be welcome here are anything that is considered "under the table." Have you ever hopped a ship as a stowaway (not a paying traveler), or found a path over a border in Europe of Africa? This thread is for those people. While the EU is border free, there are still borders that are in Europe but not in the EU that require documents etc. Have you ever hopped one of those borders or found a way around official checks?

In the movie Into The Wild, Alexander Supertramp burned his money, I just burned all of my identification and have been on the road for 2.5 years. Because of the legal issues, I only use internet cafes, and at random places as I travel. What do you do? Lets talk. Got questions? Ask them.

**** You are responsible for your own actions and nothing in this thread is a recommendation to try yourself. You must be familiar with international law and take responsibility for your own actions. I'm quite certain the mods do not condone any illegal actions, but don't mind having the discussion :) You are an adult, make your own decisions.

Reaction score
P.s. I have NO ADVICE for getting out of the United States. I'm not an American but can only assume that getting out of that country is nearly impossible without a passport. I assume the same for Canadians given that both of those countries are surrounded by water and with the insanely out of control immigration/emigration measures that the United States has. Sorry.

dprogram

Reaction score
Impressive. I look forward to your (hopefully) upcoming tales of adventure. Welcome!

Reaction score
Thanks......Sometimes it feels more stupid than impressive. But it gives you a feeling of being alive for sure.

I hope we can spur a conversation here on Europe and Africa. Seems like everyone is based in the U.S. pretty much.

I think the biggest thing I'm wondering about is stowing away on ships. Would love to hear stories about those adventures.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
P.s. I have NO ADVICE for getting out of the United States. I'm not an American but can only assume that getting out of that country is nearly impossible without a passport. I assume the same for Canadians given that both of those countries are surrounded by water and with the insanely out of control immigration/emigration measures that the United States has. Sorry.
There is literally NO Control on many of the borders to Mexico (going out). Getting out of America is no problem.
In Europe, there is generally not border controls, and when there is, it is usually on the bigger roads.try searching green borders, and walking. there isnt much chance of being controlled in the forest.
Coming From Africa is a whole different story. Having money will get you a long way. A lot of African immigrants come through Italy, because there is enough corruption to be able to bribe cops. Generally, the south of Europe is a bit easier to pay your way out of tough situations. I have not made this trip, but know that Italy is the main point of entry for African Immigrants. There was a scandal in 2011, when Italy issued Schengen visas to 100's of thousands of african immigrants and refugees (this was during the "Arab Spring"), on the condition that when the visa expired, they would no longer be in Italy (wink wink).
This lead to border controls on the franco italian border, as well as increased security in the "more desirable" countries (namely Denmark and Holland, with easy residency standards, and high standard of living/social services).
I have a passport, but its usually in storage, as having no visa makes it probably more dangerous for me to carry around then to get the 35 euro fine that I would get for not having it.
Where are you currently, Nostinkingpapers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc ebach67

Spooner

Reaction score
I am considering leaving the states also. I have a world service authority passport. but as I have been reading it doesn't really work. and I could get in trouble for using it.
does anyone else have a WSA passport and used it to get into any country?
I eagerly await any information.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
PS:
I would largely encourage people to be very careful what they say in this thread, as beside your own legal status of being an undocumented immigrant, stories of "Have you ever hopped a ship as a stowaway?" have the possibility to incriminate others in international human trafficking. Careful, its funny, but smuggling people is no joke to Law enforcement. Maybe the NSA doesnt give a shit that you rode a train and smoked a joint, but starting a thread about human trafficking could spark some attention.

Dameon

Reaction score
I can't really see stowing away on a freight ship being viable, and if you're caught in international waters you'd be literally at the mercy of the crew. Not to mention the difficulties of then debarking, since wherever that ship docks is going to be a high security, customs controlled area.

Cruise ships are a slim possibility, if you can slip onto one with the customers, but then you still have to go through customs debarking. And in third world countries, I can't see customs being too friendly about Americans with no passport trying to sneak in. Not too friendly at all.

And what happens when officials want to see your passport, you with your American accent? And then discover you have none and no records of you entering the country? Shipped right back to the USA, who is not going to be happy about paying for your flight back.

I hate the passport thing too, but you may have been a little premature burning it. Maybe shoulda figured out how you're gonna get around before doing that, like the Into the Wild idiot should've figured out pure wilderness survival before burning his money and essentially committing suicide?

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
@Dameon-
No American accent if you keep your mouth shut. its a pain in the ass, but usually after 3-4 days of silence the cops will kick you out if they dont have anything else on you other than a random check.
I can imagine that cruise ships are actually harder to stowaway, as they would be more directly tied to customs. Cargo ships would be difficult, but possible and probably easier than cruise, if you could sweet talk your way in with the crew. Best bet by far is private yachts, a lot more traffic than cruise or cargo, and a lot easier to talk one solo captain into smuggling you than one who is under contract.
Every ship has a crew log, which is required to be reported immediately to the port authority upon entering or exiting a port. Cruise ships/cargo ships offering passage would as well have a passenger list. Again, the best bet here is to find a captain You can trust (as, like you said, once you are in international waters, and there is no official record of you being on a boat, you are at the mercy of the crew), get on his boat with no register in the crew log, and leave in the same way. Private ports are notoriously unsecure, even in places like America (with all of the commercial port security).

On second thought, this is only for crossing oceans. Your absolute best bet for crossing borders by boat would be fishing boats. Small fishing vessels working there way along the coast should be an easy in to cross local borders (Like Mexico/US)

Dameon

Reaction score
Fishing boats don't generally have a tender (a smaller boat used to row or motor to shore), so if you caught a ride with one, odds are you'd be swimming to shore. People with their own yachts generally do, but I'd certainly not take anybody anywhere on my boat if I was facing human trafficking laws for doing it. I suspect almost nobody will unless the conversation involves some dead presidents.

It'd be pretty jedi if you managed to talk a freight ship or cruise ship captain into letting you on, especially without lots of said dead presidents. Lose your job, lose your license, and maybe some prison time.

If I were you, I'd consider boats out.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
Well then good luck with that. The passport/ID system can be meh at times, but you're definitely making it much harder and possibly quite expensive for yourself in the future. Dangerous even. One thing about boats, as others have said before, is that they generally don't take kindly to stowaways. I've heard stories of people being dumped overboard (no one knows right?), and most captains these days are VERY conscious of people without proper identification.

Reactions: Marc ebach67

crzdlntk

Reaction score
in the same boat here....looking for ways out without papers
i flew to san diego, took the red line to the blue line, maybe it was the other way around, youll have to buy one of the 5.00 cards for the train metro police get on to check, got off with everyone else, walked right out of the u.s. with just my backpack, scanned by backpack on the way through and that was it.

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
Hmm.. I wonder how that worked out. And here I was worried about being deported WITH a valid passport (just very little money and no return tickets). But I’m sure I’ll be aight. Even if I get deported, that would suck, but at least I won’t be thrown overboard

Any tips for border control? I’ve been hassled hardcore in England, but I’m thinking mainland Europe will be a bit more chill and accepting of “backpackers”.. and if they’re really worried about me not having enough money, I’ll tell ‘em my moms will send me some, etc. I think as long as I look kinda well off, I’ll be OK cuz I’m not from a poor country (less likely to be an illegal immigrant). Anyways, I won’t be outstaying my visas or anything. And I definitely won’t be burning my passport! That’s nutsballs

Just wish there weren’t any borders, just one big Earth party! Woo travel freely. That would rock.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads