Newbie traveller

krakatoa

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm Alex. I'm 18 and about to graduate high school. I've never hitchhiked before but plan on doing so this summer. My planned route is Bay Area -> LA -> Houston to visit some friends/family.

I just want to get out of my house, travel on the cheap, meet people, and have an adventure over the summer. I'm terrified but thrilled with the idea of hitchhiking.

Came to STP to learn stuff and make connections, so say hi!

A

Adnil

Welcome aboard, Alex :)
Don't listen to the kid up there, traveling is not all homebums and bridges. Plan wisely and use your spare change for a hotie (my favorite are the ones that come with breakfast), anywho- safe travels !

• Useful
Reactions: OstrichJockey

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
hehe -- I was hitching in HS, sleeping wherever - yeah under bridges - had some decent nights in some pretty cool ass tree forts some family made for their kids ... My bff wild girlfriend and I had a great time flying around NY.

Even better. :D My family had a phone, they did not. So. My staying over at Terry's was <cough> unknown and there was no way the parents could connect. OMG we had a great time. Truckers in NYS rocked at that time. hehe. Good times. but anyway --- do what you want, plan on stuff and just be safe and do not trust your stuff out there to anyone. But have a plan B in your pocket. .... What would you do if your stuff was stolen. I never had that happen, but then I didn't travel with much anyway.

K

Kim Chee

Sounds good ahah

I'm down to sleep under bridges with homeless people as long as I get some space.

Be sure to surn a light on before you get too comfortable.

You don't want to lie on any poo or needles.

Hitchhiking can suck at times especially if you don't really "have" to do it.

Or...maybe you'll get nice long rides and do it in record time.

One thing is certain...you'll probably never forget the experience and it is likely you're going to give rides to people when you have transportation.

@Tude is spot on with the plan B advice.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
'm down to sleep under bridges with homeless people as long as I get some space.
Sleeping in spots where there are tons of other people you don't know is a good way to get your stuff stolen or worse.

I'm not saying you shouldn't trust anyone but I personally would try to avoid the known traveler sleeping spots and try to find somewhere out of sight to camp for the night on your own.

Leocalifornya

Reaction score
Well, you're here, and that is a great first step. This site is relatively new to me as well, but I have learned a shit ton from perusing it. So I highly suggest doing that, if you haven't already. Especially go in and just read a bunch of stories from fellow travelers. Lots to learn from other people's experiences, even if they don't directly relate to you.

There is also a great section in this site where people offer rides. That might be a good place for you to find your first ride! 'sup to you though bro. Hopping in a car with a complete stranger can be nerve wrecking as FUCK, especially if it's your first time. Even your tenth, or one hundredth time can be stressful. Just be on alert, make very good decisions, let trusted friends and family know where you are regularly, and have a great ass time!

Feel free to ask just about anyone here, just about any question too. Everyone on this site is pretty awesome.

Peace and love bro, and have fun.

PAN AM HOBO

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Sleeping in spots where there are tons of other people you don't know is a good way to get your stuff stolen or worse.

I'm not saying you shouldn't trust anyone but I personally would try to avoid the known traveler sleeping spots and try to find somewhere out of sight to camp for the night on your own.

that's what I do I invested in a snug pak ionosphere took one year and set up in wood lines, bushes etc... make a little stealthy tarp tent or get something like I got

Last edited:

PAN AM HOBO

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
research your route pick out spots that look secure enough for you to spend the night
use google earth or satellite image maps to your advantage also atlas or maps driving maps are a big help make a list of camp spots along your route
cut out the pages you need for your route throw out the rest to save on weight. I like to have one state ahead of where I was going just in case I end up one state away from my target location. keep in something waterproof if you can't afford to buy or have access to internet you can steal maps or atlases at libraries and you can pick them up at visitor centers in different states

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: krakatoa

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads