Newbie stealth tips

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
So, we have only been on the road for a couple months, but I think we have leaned a bit of info that can be passed along to others.

We have a pretty basic routine for finding places to park. If we are just traveling to a destination, then rest stops are the first go to, if none are around we search for hotels.. Pretty simple, if you slip in the parking lots after dark they don't really know if you're saying there or a guest, just be smart, don't take advantage and take forever, sleep and move on.
We don't really do wal marts, like some have mentioned they are kinda doing a reverse on overnight parking, too many people have taken advantage and it's ruined things, so we generally don't bother.

Some good staples are lowes and Home Depot, they both have wi do you can get from the parking lot, but the trick is stealth. Don't get super close to the building, be smart, if you stick out and look suspicious then there's a chance someone will notice you.
Also if the wi fi is what you're after, you'll find that it's weird in spots, we have been to some where you can be far away and get the wi fi, and some where you have to be close. Best advice, is to use the wi fi for what you need, then perhaps move to a more inconspicuous spot.

The other big thing is rotation, we rotate where we park if we are staying in an area for a period of time working. So one night may be a Home Depot, the next night lowes, then perhaps a grocery store, then we will go back to Home Depot, but not in the same exact spot we parked before. Yes someone make recognize your vehicle but as long as you aren't close to the building or doing anything that makes you're van look like anything than a parked van, you should be ok. Because a lot of places of work, not everyone knows everyone, so for all they know it could be a new employee.

Also we don't hang out in day time at the place we are gonna sleep at night.. If we do for whatever reason just decide to relax in the van, we might do so in a store parking lot for just a couple hours, not bringing attention to ourselves, the key is to not draw attention to yourself. Yeah we are living a life better than most, but society doesn't see it that way, and they think people in vans are just out to rob their grand mother.

Anyways.. I hope something in all these words have helped.. My laptop broke and I've been typing this all on my phone so it's been a pain in the ass. And I'm out of beer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 651

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I like parking on forest service roads, not so much in towns. But I have noticed that condensation on windows will tip off unsavory characters such as copz that someone is sleeping inside. Not sure how to deal with this problem other than cracking strategic windows...I'm not a scientist so i dont understand thermodynamics or whatever the hell covers condensation.

roguetrader

Reaction score
question for y'all rubber tramping in the States - why the need for stealthy 'secret' park ups ? are you breaking laws likely to be enforced ? does this vary from state to state ? I live in my box truck and have this attitude 'you don't like the fact I'm living hear ? like I give a fuck....' BUT the cops here don't usually get heavy unless you push 'em too it plus the laws are vague....

Sent from my XT1039 using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Reactions: Mankini
T

travmhid

why the need for stealthy 'secret' park ups? !

In many places in the US it's illegal to sleep in your vehicle, or there'll be a law about overnight parking, or non-resident parking, or someone will just plain call the cops on you 'cause they're nosy. Many businesses don't want you parking in their lots, so even if it's not illegal you'll have to leave if asked or they'll trespass you. Plus, transient lifestyles in general just tend to attract increased scrutiny... so the more you stay under the radar, the better.

All of these things are under the umbrella of what's called the "criminalization of homelessness."

If you google that term for some quick stats, you find stuff like this:
According to a NLCHP report last year that surveyed 187 cities between 2011 and 2014, 34 percent had citywide laws banning camping in public. Another 43 percent prohibited sleeping in vehicles, and 53 percent banned sitting or lying down in certain public places. All of these laws criminalize the kind of activities — sitting, resting, sleeping — that are arguably fundamental to human existence.

G

Grubblin

I like parking on forest service roads, not so much in towns. But I have noticed that condensation on windows will tip off unsavory characters such as copz that someone is sleeping inside. Not sure how to deal with this problem other than cracking strategic windows...I'm not a scientist so i dont understand thermodynamics or whatever the hell covers condensation.

Crack your windows as much as you can stand depending on weather. It lets the heat out and reduces or eliminates condensation. Also, and this is my personal opinion that they work, there are containers designed for both rvs and storage lockers that take humidity and odor out of the space they're in. I have two of the bigger containers, one under the seat, one by where I lay my head. They seem to help. I forget the name of the containers but you can find them everywhere. I can tell you the name when I get back to the truck if you have trouble finding them and want to know.

Flambadou

Reaction score
6087-7599 Edgewood Rd SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404,
rainx makes some antifog coating stuff for windows. My mom's used it before on bathroom mirrors and it worked pretty good.

Reaction score
So, we have only been on the road for a couple months, but I think we have leaned a bit of info that can be passed along to others.

We have a pretty basic routine for finding places to park. If we are just traveling to a destination, then rest stops are the first go to, if none are around we search for hotels.. Pretty simple, if you slip in the parking lots after dark they don't really know if you're saying there or a guest, just be smart, don't take advantage and take forever, sleep and move on.
We don't really do wal marts, like some have mentioned they are kinda doing a reverse on overnight parking, too many people have taken advantage and it's ruined things, so we generally don't bother.

Some good staples are lowes and Home Depot, they both have wi do you can get from the parking lot, but the trick is stealth. Don't get super close to the building, be smart, if you stick out and look suspicious then there's a chance someone will notice you.
Also if the wi fi is what you're after, you'll find that it's weird in spots, we have been to some where you can be far away and get the wi fi, and some where you have to be close. Best advice, is to use the wi fi for what you need, then perhaps move to a more inconspicuous spot.

The other big thing is rotation, we rotate where we park if we are staying in an area for a period of time working. So one night may be a Home Depot, the next night lowes, then perhaps a grocery store, then we will go back to Home Depot, but not in the same exact spot we parked before. Yes someone make recognize your vehicle but as long as you aren't close to the building or doing anything that makes you're van look like anything than a parked van, you should be ok. Because a lot of places of work, not everyone knows everyone, so for all they know it could be a new employee.

Also we don't hang out in day time at the place we are gonna sleep at night.. If we do for whatever reason just decide to relax in the van, we might do so in a store parking lot for just a couple hours, not bringing attention to ourselves, the key is to not draw attention to yourself. Yeah we are living a life better than most, but society doesn't see it that way, and they think people in vans are just out to rob their grand mother.

Anyways.. I hope something in all these words have helped.. My laptop broke and I've been typing this all on my phone so it's been a pain in the ass. And I'm out of beer.
Such a worry for me is places to park....these are great suggestions :) right on.

Reactions: todd

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
rainx makes some antifog coating stuff for windows. My mom's used it before on bathroom mirrors and it worked pretty good.

Im guessing its different from the regular RainX? You just apply it on the inside of the windows?

wickedwench

Reaction score
Website
www.fireandsliceproductions.com
We do Walmarts when pressed a fair bit. Allstays.com has a list of most Walmarts in the country with reports on whether they let you sleep there. It takes some guesswork out of it. We mostly stick to boondocking because then we can go weeks without driving.

If you don't look like much, you can sleep in most parking lots without much trouble for a single night, but it's nice to not be woken up in the middle of the night. Our rig is a truck and cargo trailer. Even though we have a kid, we mostly just look like construction crew unless you see us clambering into the trailer.

dprogram

Reaction score
Great info! I also have been living in my van for the past few months and find these two website to be helpful: freecampsites.net and campendium.com

These are also useful for tent/rv camping as well. Also, fuck Walmart I hate sleeping in their lots, Home Depot is so so much better

Thanks!

Will Wood

Reaction score
In Colorado I've noticed several van campers on the road near the YMCA. Also, look for places on the highways where truckers pull over to sleep. Sometimes you can slip in among them. I've stayed a few nights at a Safeway.. 24 Hour Fitness can be a sleeping spot. One place had a sign warning against overnight camping, so I made it a point not to stay all night, but would spend about 1/2 a night there. If questioned, I would mention how I had no intention to stay 'overnight'.. In Sedona they have a law against sleeping in your car. But desert camping is available nearby.

• Haha
Reactions: atlastalias

VanScribed Goat

Reaction score
In Colorado I've noticed several van campers on the road near the YMCA. Also, look for places on the highways where truckers pull over to sleep. Sometimes you can slip in among them. I've stayed a few nights at a Safeway.. 24 Hour Fitness can be a sleeping spot. One place had a sign warning against overnight camping, so I made it a point not to stay all night, but would spend about 1/2 a night there. If questioned, I would mention how I had no intention to stay 'overnight'.. In Sedona they have a law against sleeping in your car. But desert camping is available nearby.

When we had a caravan of 4+ vans/ cars in Austin we parked the YMCA and many camped in the woods next to it. It was a sweet spot between the tracks, a creek, the river, and free showers/ water at the Y! Not to mention the short walk to 6th street for the fun every night. Not sure if they just didn't care because it was SXSW or what but we stayed a whole week and kept the area clean.

Owyhee

Reaction score
I've noticed a camper around town, older Winnebago, they've been moving from shady spot to shady spot I live in a larger town but my neighborhood is the older block style part of town more of the working class area, the camper kind of fits in. I know what they're upto but it doesn't bug me when they park in the shade across from my house, I know the cops are on to them but they stay quiet and in the camper so the cops don't seem to care. My corner is a prime spot for the cops to snag speeders.

G

Grubblin

What do stickers or no stickers have to do with it? Even if you have a residence, RVs are meant to travel. I see $200,000 motor homes covered with travel stickers of where they've been all the time.

G

Grubblin

I've stayed in plenty of pull outs along winding mountain highways that were meant for temporary parking to fish the stream nearby. I've also stayed a couple of times in parking lots with signs that said 'no overnight parking, violators towed'. I had no choice with the parking lots, truck was fucked, couldn't move it.

I think the trick is not to be fucked up so that you can move it when asked or to have a reason you can't move it. I've never been hassled at either type of place.

The only place I have been hassled at is in the desert. There were no trees to hide the truck behind so they could see me from a long way off.

I think if you act like you belong there and don't cause a scene they overlook you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads