Newbie from Ottawa | Squat the Planet

Newbie from Ottawa

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I've been looking into nomad life for a while and have decided that next summer I'm going to do it. What should I know to pack in my bag? What else should I know, I need some first hand advice. So anything helps!

the short version is that you should basically just pack the same you would for any camping trip. from there you can add some extra stuff, but a good policy is to pile up everything you think you need, then cut that in half, and that's what you should take with you. if you need more detail than that, try the search or make your question more specific :)

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Welcome to S.T.P be safe and have fun.

jeffyDee

Reaction score
All you need to know is stay away from people who make you feel uncomfortable like if you have a gut feeling go with it. I also recommend lots of socks and big zip lock bags to keep shit dry. I prefer to travel alone with my dog but then again I prefer to hitch. My opinion is I hate jail and dealing with cops so don't give them reasons to fuck with you like getting lippy and violent towards them that will make it worse for you. As for material things you don't need much take what you are willing to carry for a thousand miles. Idk just use common sense and you will be all good.

EddHog

Reaction score
All you need to know is stay away from people who make you feel uncomfortable like if you have a gut feeling go with it. I also recommend lots of socks and big zip lock bags to keep shit dry. I prefer to travel alone with my dog but then again I prefer to hitch. My opinion is I hate jail and dealing with cops so don't give them reasons to fuck with you like getting lippy and violent towards them that will make it worse for you. As for material things you don't need much take what you are willing to carry for a thousand miles. Idk just use common sense and you will be all good.
Great info! How would you recommend getting money? I'm willing to work, just need tips on how to find it. I really don't want to just ask for money cause I haven't done anything to earn it.

JamesPrice94

Reaction score
Hey, Nice to see someone else from Ottawa! I'm heading out next summer as well. For packing, i'd say have a look at this and pack somewhat along those lines except for the military items, Cheer.

Reactions: Odin

EddHog

Reaction score
you need socks
That's the message I've been getting
Hey, Nice to see someone else from Ottawa! I'm heading out next summer as well. For packing, i'd say have a look at this and pack somewhat along those lines except for the military items, Cheer.

Awesome guide man! I have a small backpack I'm gonna be bringing, so I'm gonna have to make some straps to hold my mat/sleeping bag and tarp.

JamesPrice94

Reaction score
I was working at a place called farm team cook house. Absolutely disgusting place, don't eat there. Just got this gig at this place that makes pizzas in the farmers market and catering events. Its cool, everything is fresh and made from scratch and we cook the pizzas in a portable wood burning oven that heats up to 700-800F.

Last edited by a moderator:

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I was working at a place called farm team cook house. Absolutely disgusting place, don't eat there. Just got this gig at this place that makes pizzas in the farmers market and catering events. Its cool, everything is fresh and made from scratch and we cook the pizzas in a portable wood burning oven that heats up to 700-800F.

The farmers market by the stadium in the Glebe?..man that places has done a 180 since I was little.

JamesPrice94

Reaction score
The farmers market by the stadium in the Glebe?..man that places has done a 180 since I was little.
I think we moved around the various ones in town. My first day we were in a smaller market in Beachwood village I think the place was called. I've been here for a year, so don't know how it looked by the stadium before, but from what I saw place looked fancy and had a bunch of restaurents.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads