newbie eager to learn about train hopping in europe (1 Viewer)

brent

Lurker
Reaction score
Homebase
italymammamia
hello everyone, glad to be here. I've been looking for a forum like this for a while. I'm from Rome and I'm planning with two friends of mine to get to northern Europe on freight trains next summer, I did my researches about it: I kinda know what i'ts like to hop on a train and I also know where the yard we're gonna use is. I know nothing more because in Europe unlike US and Canada train hopping is not so popular. I'm here to see if someone knows this topic better than me or can at least give a place to start.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Homebase
Texas
Website
www.youtube.com
Have you watched Shiey's videos on YouTube? I learned a bit about European Hopping off of his channel...not really a how to, more just seeing what its like.

I'm not aware of too many Euro hoppers on here ATM...?

brent

Lurker
Reaction score
Homebase
italymammamia
I did watch his videos before coming here, actually those videos are the thing that made me think train hopping was possible. I got alot of informations on northern italy, the hard part is getting there because there is one single line that goes north. I also saw nobody going from or to Rome (maybe because it's not worth it dunno) so it's unknown territory unless I find someone who already did it.
Anyway I'm stuck. I suppose I'll do better researches when covid ends. Any EU hoppers in here?

Bosse

Reaction score
Homebase
Canada
Eurohopper here, living in canada at the moment tho. Your biggest challenge will be the borderpolice checking trains for refugees, probably on the swiss border... dont know how much info Im allowed to give outside of the trainhopping forum, but feel free to send me a message.

Reaction score
Homebase
NY
Honestly, sometimes your best bet is to do it while overprepared and see what happens because you may be in new territory. That said, Europe doesn't really have a dedicated CC or guide to which cars are rideable (to my knowledge), but I guess same discretion applies to any train - find something safe to sleep on with a solid floor. You likely won't be in the middle of nowhere because Europe is so dense, but it will also be very short distances for slow rides you can just pay a few Euros to go faster for anyway via commuter rail, as most rails share the same space there. IMO, the only reason it'd be worth it is if you're on a freight-only track.

As with anything, be smart, safe, and patient. You will find some Eurohopping videos if you dig around on YouTube.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.