Newbie all purpose pack?? | Squat the Planet

Newbie all purpose pack??

Sierra

Reaction score
I've been hunting around on threads for information on packs but Im not sure all of it is applicable to me. Being female I feel like I'll need a pack thats a little more geared towards that. I think I want an internal frame. And I need it to be useable for most situations.. I don't know if that's a lot to ask. What brands do you prefer/swear by? what are some necessary features you found you can't live without? is waterproof necessary or is there an alternative to keeping your goods warm? Whats a pack thats easy to pack up in a pinch? Any and all information would be appreciated :)

Sierra

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
In my humble experience a stuff pack with plenty of straps for attaching things to the outside is the best. Stuff pack meaning...one giant pocket in the middle in which you stuff everything. The straps you use to attach your tent, tarp, whatever you can't fit in the stuff. Internal frame...meh. Why the extra weight? I had an internal frame for all of 15 minutes before I just removed the frame and made it a floppy bag.

My current bag I got in Chile about 4 years ago and it comprises of 3 pockets: the big stuff pocket and two big side pockets, one on either side. I had an ALICE pack once but there were so many damn pockets I lost things. No kidding. The fact that you're female dosen't make much of a differance. At least I don't think so. The girls I've met on the road all have the same pack any man would have.

Sierra

Reaction score
In my humble experience a stuff pack with plenty of straps for attaching things to the outside is the best. Stuff pack meaning...one giant pocket in the middle in which you stuff everything. The straps you use to attach your tent, tarp, whatever you can't fit in the stuff. Internal frame...meh. Why the extra weight? I had an internal frame for all of 15 minutes before I just removed the frame and made it a floppy bag.

My current bag I got in Chile about 4 years ago and it comprises of 3 pockets: the big stuff pocket and two big side pockets, one on either side. I had an ALICE pack once but there were so many damn pockets I lost things. No kidding. The fact that you're female dosen't make much of a differance. At least I don't think so. The girls I've met on the road all have the same pack any man would have.
Thanks for the reply!
You wouldn't happen to have any links to a similar pack for an idea? I thought frames were necessary but whatever works :) The only reason I brought up being female is because I thought maybe the shoulder straps might be uncomfortable because they were geared towards broader shoulders or other size differences, but not a big deal

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
OK so this is the only pic of my pack that I can find...not too clear sorry. But basically, the middle is one giant pocket, two big pockets on either side, and that's about it. Straps on the outside for strappin' stuff. There's nothing in the straps because camp is set up when I took the pic.

img0066a.jpg

Anyway, so long as you can fit your crap in there you'll be fine. Reflectors.....well I guess if you plan on walking along the side of the road at night. You can prob buy some reflecting tape and sew it on there. But personally, I am generally sleeping at night -- or else trying very hard not to be seen. So reflectors would be a bit counter productive.

Ok ok found a better pic. Uploaded it here

Attachments

• 10808338_10205576525083417_2007259346_n.jpg
    10808338_10205576525083417_2007259346_n.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 371

Sierra

Reaction score
OK so this is the only pic of my pack that I can find...not too clear sorry. But basically, the middle is one giant pocket, two big pockets on either side, and that's about it. Straps on the outside for strappin' stuff. There's nothing in the straps because camp is set up when I took the pic.

img0066a.jpg

Anyway, so long as you can fit your crap in there you'll be fine. Reflectors.....well I guess if you plan on walking along the side of the road at night. You can prob buy some reflecting tape and sew it on there. But personally, I am generally sleeping at night -- or else trying very hard not to be seen. So reflectors would be a bit counter productive.

Ok ok found a better pic. Uploaded it here
looks pretty straightforward. How much does it hold? and what all do you usually put in it?

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
Dunno how much in weight. maybe....30 or 40 lbs? It can hold my clothes, my hammock, sleeping bag, tarp, tent (if I got it), and misc shit like rope and toothbrush and medicines and harmonica and wine. Never had a problem with lack of space. Of course I don't go to freezing cold places a lot so a North America "winter" pack would maybe have to be bigger for all those jackets.

D

Deleted member 20

I think since @Sierra is cute i will spare her my rant. But seriously the pack question has been asked/answered a billion times. Since the nature of most of the travel methods used and discussed here are of a diy/ self sufficent nature, the burden to learn, adapt, survive is on the individual traveler. We have many posts on many things here. Try searching first.

Secondly: what type of traveling you doing? What climate/region? How cold, hot, wet dictates what to pack and what size pack, temperature rating sleeping bag, etc, etc. I would say start with what you can afford, shop military surplus, craigslist, thrift stores and just try it out. I personally hop trains, hitch and have a medium sized 3 day assault pack that holds clothes, shower gear, gloves, flashlight, atlases. I wear a carhart insulated suit( since its winter and its cold) but my pack, gear load changes as the seasons do, my method of travel etc. I have a few packs, boots, sleeping bags. Flashlights, gloves that all change as season do. Some kids just carry whatever free pack they get kicked down and just use it to stuff an equally dirty sleeping bag in. No clothes or much of anything. Its often part of the dirty traveler kid uniform. I met a kid last week who was housed up in his hometown wearing an empty alice pack that looked to be filled with styrofoam packing peanuts. Just trial and era and alice packs come in small, med And large are fairly cheap, repairable, rugged and avail everywhere. Yuppie packs are good if you can find 1 used on cl, ebay or at a used gear store say in the $20-40 range

Last edited:

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
So you're looking for a pack aimed at female stature? Well most civilian packs these days are adjustable or come in varying sizes.. That's basically the only difference between male and female packs, back size! Military packs are generally not adjustable and for a long time they had only one size. These days they're made in small, medium, large (generally).

If you're looking for a smaller pack, look for around 40-50L I would say. Big enough for essentials and maybe a bit extra, small enough for little day hikes and walking around town (while you perhaps leave the heavier things elsewhere?)

I love Berghaus, and spent a good two years with one of their 100L packs hitching around Europe. No complaints. I only use military packs, though. Generally a lot more durable, color schemes help blending in, and while they are generally heavier they use better materials for the rough way I am traveling about. Can't say i'm so knowledgeable with brand names, though. Google is great for many differing opinions.

I dislike too many zippers (they break = you're fucked, especially if they run down the length of the pack!), and too many pockets. Mine has a massive central bag with two side pouches that detach, as well as a couple lid pockets. I just divide my gear up into seperate bags and pull 'em out when needed. If I have/want to, I can take stuff out to carry wood/stones/whatever if needed.

Some packs are waterproof, but many come with built in rain covers or you can buy one for cheap (and they are light as hell). Not such an issue.

The simpler the better, really. But don't skimp on the webbing (straps, hip pads, etc), because if that is uncomfortable you're going to be hurrrrrtin'

Reactions: Anagor

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I like my old German army backpack I bought used for 15 € ...
Sturdy, no zippers, no heave frame, just basic ...
hitchhiking-1-png.17891

Keep it simple ...
Another photo:
gear1-jpg.17892

There I had the sleeping bag below and the pad above but I changed that. Sleeping pad below the bag and sleeping bag above (under the flap) proved to be more useful.
Just simply throw off your bag somewhere and sit upon the rolled up pad ... quite good insulation, better than sitting on the ground without ... :)

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
go to surplus store, get duffel bag for 20
Why do that when you could get a way better pack for around the same price or just about $15 more?
I would never pay that much for a pickle bag which I'm assuming that's what your talking about. High end surplus stores jack the prices up. On the west coast (dunno where y'all are at) I would go to the supply sergeant which has killer deals. But there are a lot of others with good prices. Gotta look for the hole in the wall places.

Last edited:
J

Johnny P

I have always liked my Kelty Redwing...i can strap some stuff outside of it if needed, like my tarp and coat, and there has always been plenty of room for all I need to carry. I got my first one for $80 at REI, the second one I had to boost

squatch

Reaction score
i just went to a local sporting goods store that had an army surplus section and picked up a used alice pack, its got an external frame. one big pouch and 3 side puches and tons of straps for extra shit. the external frame helps straighten out my back as i tend to slouch so it is a win/win

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I spent a little more than I guess most would on a backpack because I saved up; but in my defense, I think it's worth investing in a good quality backpack because you don't want to fuck up your back in the long run. I got an awesome Gregory backpack on craigslist that was way cheaper than its usual price. It's what @sucuri described-- a stuff pack with straps on it except it also has an internal frame with a waist belt. I personally like an internal frame just because I hate carrying a backpack with all the stuff in it protruding into my back and the waist belt helps you support the weight (making it feel lighter). My backpack came with a rain cover for it, which I think will be useful because getting your stuff wet is something you would want to avoid. Of course, you may not be lucky enough to find an expensive backpack for cheap on craigslist, but it's worth a try! I suggest you go to a store to try out some backpacks and see what features you think will be useful. Maybe the internal frame and waist belt is not for you, but I definitely encourage getting something that is waterproof (or has a rain cover) and will allow you to strap on a sleeping bag at the very least.

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
To me nothing says "come jack my shit" like a brand new $300 pack. If it's used and beat up that might be different but I still wouldn't let it out of my sight. As for an all around newbie pack go for an alice pack. Cheap an reliable. A lot of the old timers as well as the punks use 'em.

yoder

Reaction score
Eagle industries

They make some of the toughest stuff cordura

The stuff is extremely water repellant and the stitching is with out a doubt is the toughest on the market

Search FILBE ASSAULT PACK

been using this pack for nearly 3 years and it has traveled many miles zippers still work great

I made some mods to it:
Thicker piece of lexan for my internal frame

I put 2large Molle canteen pouches on the side

And sewed a 5000denier cordura pack flap to it that covers the whole pack.

Pack size 35L + 10L if you attach those canteen bags

Total weight with my gear and 3days of food is 25 pounds not including water

And is slightly larger than a school back pack

Toughest rail riding pack
Durability 8/10
Comfortability 6/10
And you blend in when you get into town

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417661185.310333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads