Photos New zealand's most notorious gang ... and facial tats!!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Holy cow!! I had to do something with this :)

New Zealand’s Most Notorious Gang Pose For Photos That Will Make You Quiver

New Zealand is known more for its breathtaking scenery, as shown in Lord of The Rings, than for its gang activity, a dark side unknown to most.

In this compelling photo series, NYC-based photographerJono Rotman gives us a glimpse of the infamous Mighty Mongrel Mob, the most notorious gang in New Zealand.

556ecc7176c75.jpg

Jono Rotman

The Wellington-born artist managed to convince the hardened members of the Mighty Mongrel Mob, most of whom have been to prison, to sit for portraits.

556ecc71e5c54.jpg

Jono Rotman

When asked how he talked them into this, Rotman explained: “I told them I wanted to take martial portraits… Then once there was go-ahead from the top, the guys down the bottom were happy to cooperate.”

556ecc725d5f1.jpg

Jono Rotman

Established in the 1960’s, the Mighty Mongrel Mob started out as a gang of variously disaffected youth.

556ecc72c4932.jpg

Jono Rotman

They didn’t ride bikes, but they quickly fell into all the trappings of an outlaw motorcycle club: patches, club colors, and a fiercely violent process of initiation.

556ecc733490d.jpg

Jono Rotman

The Mighty Mongrel Mob grew to become the largest gang in New Zealand, with around 30 chapters across both islands.

556ecc739887a.jpg

Jono Rotman

Rotman’s photo series is an extremely big deal — the Mighty Mongrel Mob is reclusive, secretive, and rarely allows media access.

556ecc7406621.jpg

Jono Rotman

Did Rotman ever feel intimidated? “Of course,” he said. “There was always a tacit understanding that they could kill me if I f***ed with them.”

556ecc746c7fb.jpg

Jono Rotman

“And you know, regardless of where the Mob are viewed in the social hierarchy, these men have committed to a creed and fought battles, sometimes to the death.”

556ecc74d969a.jpg

http://pulptastic.com/new-zealands-notorious-gang-pose-photos-will-make-quiver/

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Moved to people and cultures... nice find!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Gangs and people like this are SCUM

i don't think anyone here is glorifying the horrible things these people do, but i do find it fascinating from an anthropological point of view.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
i don't think anyone here is glorifying the horrible things these people do, but i do find it fascinating from an anthropological point of view.

@Wanderingfkit I thought this fascinating not from a gang club point of view but more of a people interest. I used to ride with a few clubs - ex husband and old boyfriend were membersof different clubs and HA was always present - hell I hung with the HA prez daughter, so I was there and knew what was going on - if I wanted to write about that I could, but choose not too ... however - I thought this was more interesting in the almost tribal facial tats that were going on as well as the lovely photos that were taken that were of most interest. This is not about gang info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, Tude!

The husband and I used to ride with a biker's rights groups. We're still members, though we haven't ridden with them, for years.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for sharing I also found the facial tats interesting. I wonder if it hurt probbaly not looked liked a tough bunch.

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Kal

Reaction score
Cool. Same here but I still think there neat. What kind of tats do you have?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads