Resolved new website layout or old website layout? (poll) (1 Viewer)

New or old website design?

• New! I like the images as backgrounds.

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Old! I like the images as icons.

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, just wanted to get some public opinion on the new website design that uses images on the backgrounds of forum sections. Do you like this new design or is it a little to 'busy'? Do you like the old design better? I won't be offended either way, I just want things to be clear, easy to navigate, and look good as well. So YOU decide, by voting in this poll, new design (image backgrounds) or old design (image icons next to text)?

if you need help remembering the old design, take a look at the screen shots attached to this thread.

Attachments

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
Hometown
Boulder Creek Ca
Well, the day I open the forum and don't see a picture of @Faceplant's belly will be a great day!!!

View attachment 54326
”Don’t Look At Me, I’m Hideous!”

Maybe Matt could add my belly to the Den of the Banned?

This late in the winter . . . You should see it now. Almost time to come out of winter hibernation/get off StP.Gotta get out working in the garden and on vehicles. Actually, I’ve got a Q or 2 to ask you . . .

Barf

Pilgrim
Hometown
NW Montana
I was a little hesitant when @Matt Derrick updated the format.

But once I got used to it and figured out where the "what's new" button was... well it's grown on me.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Staff member
Hometown
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
Matt, I like the picture background, but I also really appreciated the description of the specific threads. I believe it helps new users know what to post where.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Matt, I like the picture background, but I also really appreciated the description of the specific threads. I believe it helps new users know what to post where.
yeah i liked that too but putting the description on the photos makes the layout all wonky, which is one reason i am considering the old layout (icons instead of images), just for the front page. i'd be keeping any other layout changes i've made over the past two months.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
So, for the first time that I am aware of, the poll ended up in a tie. Since I generally prefer changes like this to be decided by a majority, and since there was some technical advantages to the old layout, I've returned us to that design.

not all is lost though, i did like the header images that were being added to the top of thread lists though, so i've kept that element of the design.

i know there are two or three missing icons due to the new forum sections that were added a while ago so i will work on fixing those over the next few days.

OTTERWOLF

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Hometown
East Derby, CT
Matt, Just for the record had I voted... it would have been to go back to the old site, which I am glad to hear from a technical standpoint had some advantages.

Cheers !!

Big George + Loki the Dog

jimi

Hometown
Eugene
Just noticed this poll, and that the website was switched back. Gotta say the images as backgrounds were a bit distracting and made shit a little harder to read at a glance. This is much easier to navigate when browsing super stoned heh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$150.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $150.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Loaded 4 kids, 2 dogs, and a rat onto a Cadillac grainer outta Kirby yesterday. Yeeehaw! NOLA bound. Anyone with info outta Englewood Yd. In Houston would be much appreciated*
Eastbound from San Antonio! See ya soon nola.
Looking for someone or a group to travel with and show me the ropes. Total newbie
Free punk show HAAM benefit at BuzzSaw tonight 7pm in Austin!
Much nicer riding weather today! Howdy, Austin! I'll be around a few days I think, trying to get new tires on the motorbike before I move on.
Im in the bay headed to reno tonight, had a good week with good people and good miles. The tehachapi loop gets prettier every time.
Best part of unexpected kindness - (drum roll)
IT'S UNEXPECTED
Got to Beaumont. Fucking brrr, man. Someone remind me again what just what the hell am I doing in Texas?
leptospirosis--- possum piss in the water! feel awful! this is what killed lincons mum!! be careful of yoru water playmates!!!
Omg this shit happened again :( my love is back behide bars :( what can I do 2 make the most of the time I have now???

Members online