New to this

Richard174391

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Richard. Im very interested in travelling but dont know where to start (well i have ideas). I am currently only 17 years old but have graduated high school and really dont have anything to do except take a couple college courses. College however is not exactly what im looking for at this point in life. I am unsure if someone as young as me is welcome on this forum please let me know if that is the case because I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable. I have a few questions. First off before anything else ... am I allowed to leave home at this age? I know for sure I am with parent consent which should not be a huge issue, but if it is can someone who is 17 but graduated school allowed to go and travel? PLEASE NOTE I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION TO BREAK ANY LAW REGARDING THAT AND WILL NOT "RUN AWAY". Second off, could anyone give me a run down on gear? Even if i cannot go out in the next few months I would love to prepare. Ive heard Alice bags are pretty good and light. I am on a budget but can make due with what I will have to purchase but the cheaper the better. And also, starting out I would like to hitch hike... where would that be the most conveniant/ easiest...(eventually want to hop trains but really not gonna go there before at least talking to someone on that subject . Do not want to get maimed from not knowing what i am doing). Any information anyone has regarding these questions will help very much! I am open to any opinion even if all you have to tell me is to not. Tips that i did not inquire about would also be appreciated. Thank you

K

Kim Chee

Graduating high school gives you zero legal rights.

Becoming 18 does.

Becoming an emancipated minor also does.

If you commit a crime as a minor, you will either go directly to a detention facility or be brought to your guardian in almost every case.

There's a lot of information on gear here already which you can go look up.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hello! My name is Richard. Im very interested in travelling but dont know where to start (well i have ideas). I am currently only 17 years old but have graduated high school and really dont have anything to do except take a couple college courses. College however is not exactly what im looking for at this point in life. I am unsure if someone as young as me is welcome on this forum please let me know if that is the case because I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable. I have a few questions. First off before anything else ... am I allowed to leave home at this age? I know for sure I am with parent consent which should not be a huge issue, but if it is can someone who is 17 but graduated school allowed to go and travel? PLEASE NOTE I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION TO BREAK ANY LAW REGARDING THAT AND WILL NOT "RUN AWAY". Second off, could anyone give me a run down on gear? Even if i cannot go out in the next few months I would love to prepare. Ive heard Alice bags are pretty good and light. I am on a budget but can make due with what I will have to purchase but the cheaper the better. And also, starting out I would like to hitch hike... where would that be the most conveniant/ easiest...(eventually want to hop trains but really not gonna go there before at least talking to someone on that subject . Do not want to get maimed from not knowing what i am doing). Any information anyone has regarding these questions will help very much! I am open to any opinion even if all you have to tell me is to not. Tips that i did not inquire about would also be appreciated. Thank you

well, you sound like you got a good head on your shoulders, so prepare to do a lot of reading kiddo.

first, check out everything under the 'resources' menu. we also have a lot of useful articles in the 'best of' area. after those, take a look in the sections you're specifically interested in and read up on all the threads you can find. also, use the search before posting anything :)

next, don't be/become an oogle or scumfuck, have fun on your travels when you do them. be good to other people and try to put others before yourself, and the traveler karma will come back to you ten fold.

Zaphod

Reaction score
Side note, I'm not a huge fan of ALICE packs. They are pretty durable, but, for me, the good points end there. Give me an internal frame pack any day of the week.

Some people like them, but if you end up walking any kind of distance, your back probably won't. There are some mods that make them better (upgraded belt and straps, custom pack frame)

• Useful
Reactions: Richard174391

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads