New to the site...

Tripthetramp

Reaction score
...but definitely not the lifestyle ;)
Hi, I'm Trip!
I gave up well, pretty much my entire life 6mos ago to live a life on the road. I was married, had a house, a dog, a very good paying job. But as my marriage began to crumble, and that alarm clock kept buzzing at the same goddamn time EVERY morning, I started to realize I was doing something very, very wrong. I suppose you could say its half hereditary and half personal idealism that has made me the nomad I am. My heritage is full of circus performers, carnival folk, and gypsies. Then throw in the fact that both my parents were Army officers and we moved around a LOT, not to mention it caused me to rebel against the "structured" lifestyle they lived to a T. And my own personal beliefs on freedom, love, peace, and individualism and well, let's just say none of my friends or family were too surprised when I told them my plans before the first time I struck out and tossed my thumb to the sky!
I joined this site because I have always been drawn to freights. Just the idea of hopping on a train and going wherever it takes you.... that is romantic. But it is something I think should be done the first time with someone who has done it before. Its definitely a very dangerous undertaking and rookie mistakes could prove fatal. Or I could wind up getting caught and arrested, and well, that's pretty much the polar opposite of what I am trying to do by living FREE. I am currently hitching the country. I have a very laid out plan right now and am flyin solo only because I have a lot of friends I want to visit, who are allowing me to crash with them for a couple weeks at a time, re-build the bonds between us, then I am heading out to Cali and Oregon.
Once I get to Oregon tho, I want to just go back to dropping all sense of plans, and hopefully hook up with someone, or a group of someones who have experience with the rails, and get my hands dirty ;)
I am also really thinking of trying to make the rainbow gathering, so that may be the time frame I plan to be in the NW.
Hope to see some of you out there. Safe travels!

~Trip the tramp

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads