New to the forum, looking for advice on train hopping and hitchhiking (1 Viewer)

Current Location
Springfield, MO
Hello, I just made an account and figured I should make an introductory post.

I am going to be in the same place until july-ish and I don't have experience with hitchhiking or train hopping. I was glad I came across this website because there aren't very many sites about these subjects, and ones that do cover them seem to have little content.

I like reading and fishing. I enjoy music but I don't really play any instruments. It does seem like it might be a good idea to pick an instrument up though (if anyone has suggestions or advice on that, let me know).

Sorry for using "I" so much, my writing skills aren't the best.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

otch0z

Current Location
Montreal, Canada
Hi and welcome !! I find it very useful having an instrument on the road. I'd say, pick a small one.
If it's your first time playing music, don't.pick.guitar. It's hard, big, and everyone plays it better anyways (the world doesn't need more guitarists, sorry guitarists).
Having a string instrument to sing with is nice though, and if you go busking, it's nice to offer something "complete" (like playing an instrument + singing). I've been playing the uke for two years and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's rather mainstream, everybody plays it, but it's ridiculously easy to carry around and you can fin cheap ones that aren't so bad.
The mandolin is about the same size but it's slightly harder on the fingers and it was not designed to play chords but melodies, so left hand positions are harder than the uke AND it's even more high pitched.

Another great thing about the uke : strings (almost) never break. Guitar strings do though, and they aren't cheap !

You could also decide to pick a soloist instrument, with which you can play melodies. That could be the saxophone (it's actually pretty easy), the flute (it doesn't look super badass, though), the clarinet (warning : I heard it's way more difficult than the saxophone), the fiddle (but unless you're a really good player it does sound like shit)... The harmonica is a good one though, because it allows you to express emotions more than a lot of other instruments, and it's small and light (you'll need one for every key though) (unless you play chromatic)

(what's written is only what I think about the instruments below, I'm not asserting anything, just trying to be funny, y'know)

MUSIC IS LOVE MUSIC IS LIFE
You should play music !!
Also, practice singing as much as you can, it's the best instrument to carry around you'll ever have

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
What is the musical term for flinging an accordion 50 ft into a dumpster, where it smashes a banjo, a ukulele, and a set of bagpipes? . . . “Perfect Pitch”

Welcome. I am in the same boat as you, you will get lots of good advice here. Me, can’t even play a kazoo.

Current Location
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome Aboard to STP community!

You say you like to read? I Highly recommend Matt Derrick's book: The Anarchist's Guide to Travel which can be purchased right here on the STP store or Amazon and I also Highly recommend: The Hobo Handbook A Field Guide To Living Your Own Rules by Josh Mack available at Amazon.

And don't forget the Hitchhiking and Train Hopping Threads on this site. Good Luck!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Welcome to STP! And a great idea to study up first before traveling - we have several subforums loaded with good traveling information that should be useful. Have fun!

D

deleted17310

I deleted myself
1 eat food
2 drink water
3 sleep
4 don't get dead

That's it
Oh yea Hi and welcome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back

Members online