New Puppy | Squat the Planet

New Puppy

hustin

Reaction score
About to head about to Cali in September, but I'm getting a 5 week old puppy tomorrow. Just wondering if it'd be alright to even get a puppy that young?

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
Don't forget to burn it with cigarettes!

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
IIRC it's usually at least 8 weeks before puppies have been fully weened. But if he takes to eating dry food right away you should be fine. If he absolutely wont eat any dry dog food you might need to buy some esbilac powder (puppy formula) and give that to him for a week or two while he gets used to eating the dry stuff.

AmandaLynn

Reaction score
Someone dumped a puppy on me last year on my way out of rainbow. He was only 5 weeks and a chihuahua/terrier mix so he weighed like barely a pound, super cute. He was actually the greatest traveling dog, he only got to like 10 pounds and was perfect for hitching because he sat on my lap and was all little dog super protective. But yeah it was tough the first few weeks because he couldn't walk all day so I carried him a lot, actually taught him to sit on my pack while we walked, also great for hitching.

LarZ

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same, though my puppy is almost 9 weeks. She's very well behaved and already eating dry food but she is still very sleepy and I worry about having to carry her.

AmandaLynn

Reaction score
If yer doing a lot of walking every day carrying him/her is probably going to happen. If you can stay somewhere for an extra week or two its totally worth it. Around 11 weeks Buckley was keeping up all day, just had to carry him if we went anywhere at night. Little puppies are the greatest for busking, hitching and stuff, they easily earn their keep. Also, we would go to fancy independent pet shops and the people working there would fall in love with Buckley and give us grocery bags full of dog food samples.

D

Deleted member 1505

5 weeks is a little early, honestly. 8 weeks is the preferred minimum, 10 weeks being best. Even though the pup is weaned and eating dry food, they haven’t yet made this their established diet and will often still nurse. Also, being taken away from their mother and from their sibling pups can cause behavioral issues later in life, such as inappropriate biting. This is a crucial time when puppies learn the consequences of biting, and other sorts of behavior are acceptable and what will not be tolerated in the "pack". If you already got the puppy, then just do the best you can. Usually with proper care and attention, puppies that are separated and this young age can still be really good dogs. Good luck. Also, don’t forget to vaccinate!

christa

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
BE CAREFUL of parvo! the puppy will be way to young for shots meaning he needs to be kept away from other dogs. Also try to pull off as much fleas as possible since eating infected fleas is what causes worms and you can't use any kind of flea medication. My puppy was 5 1/2 weeks when i got her and shes doing fine.but you have to be around all the time making sure they don't drink standing water, crap on the ground, and are away from other dogs until their first round of shots which is 8 weeks. Even with their first round of shots they are not completely immune until their third booster. Really great puppy food to try is science diet which guarentees to build a healthy immune system if used in 90 days, and is dry dog food and easy to digest. only 11 dollars for really bourgeois food. have to get it at petco though.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads