New Here FINALLY Leaving WA >> CA & Seeking Travel Partner | Squat the Planet

New Here FINALLY Leaving WA >> CA & Seeking Travel Partner

D

Deleted member 28121

Hi, I’m Angel. I’ve never felt fulfilled living the “normal” way of life. It just doesn’t feel right to me. There’s so much wrong I don’t want to get into it. There is no one set way we should be living our lives and I would much rather toil for survival on the streets and travel rather than live a shit unfulfilled 9-5 life like everyone else. I want something with texture and meaning.
This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid(I’m 18 now so ig I still am). A travel partner would be really cool because they would be able to show me the ropes. I do have some hitchhiking experience, but would also like to learn to hop freight at some point too.
I guess this concludes my intro. I’m all packed up and am just waiting for my ID to arrive which should be about another 4 days. Anyone interested in traveling with me please send a DM :)

D

Deleted member 125

I would much rather toil for survival on the streets

This comes off in a very particular way, it could be the way its written, but I have a feeling you might be romanticizing things a bit.

Theres a ton if info on the site, including tips on how to vet someone before potentially traveling with them. It's worth a read and could go a long way towards you not getting taken advantage of based on you being young and green.

Welcome to stp.

D

Deleted member 28121

I sure hope I wasn’t, I know shits dangerous out there. Thanks for the tip I’ll read up on as much as I can

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome to StP!!!

Hey, you're18, just go! You can free yourself now! Just go where your heart and mind wants to take you! And, don't look back!!!

Plenty of resources on this site.

Again, Welcome Aboard!!! CHJ

jeejthecat

Reaction score
To be honest you may do well to look in Portland for a road dog. If you need a CCG or any tips let me know. I've done roseville>portland>tacoma>chicago a bunch of times, the rail lines are pretty easy. Don't forget to stop by Black Butte in CA.

And remember- don't blow up the spot, pick up your shit and don't be obnoxious about it. Don't ride loaded cargo. Figure out what airbreaks sound like in their different stages. And have fucking fun ya goof.

Reactions: PukingPelican

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Definitely check out The Anarchist guide to travel as well as the many resources on the site! Personally I now feel a moral obligation to at least contribute a couple bucks to the site! Welcome Home Homie!
Good Book!!! Matt has great advice!!!!

Reactions: PukingPelican

Thewalkindude

Reaction score
To be honest you may do well to look in Portland for a road dog. If you need a CCG or any tips let me know. I've done roseville>portland>tacoma>chicago a bunch of times, the rail lines are pretty easy. Don't forget to stop by Black Butte in CA.

And remember- don't blow up the spot, pick up your shit and don't be obnoxious about it. Don't ride loaded cargo. Figure out what airbreaks sound like in their different stages. And have fucking fun ya goof.

Hope you're not actually gonna send this person a ccg who has admittedly never hopped before, and new to traveling in general. THAT'S how you blow up the spot.

OP, it won't be hard at all to find a mentor around where you're at and summer is coming.

D

Deleted member 28121

Thanks for the tips and book suggestions! Ill take a read for sure. This seems like a really helpful community and I appreciate that!

I ended up hitchhiking down to Portland but arrived at night, took the MAX train/transit right through the city(wish I could have looked around, never been) then bussed further south to an area that still felt a lot like city. It was dark and I had a hard time finding a spot. I did come across two other secluded sleepers and one wrapped up in a tarp in a fenced off field though haha

Pulled an all nighter and it was cold out, I was fine though coz I had on all my layers. I turned around in the morning. I regret coming back. I've been wanting to go out again but the nights are freezing or below at night around here. Should I wait for the temps to warm up?

I have a 50 degree sleeping bag and 10 degree liner and a good number of clothing layers. Would that be suitable for some pretty low temps? I don't want to freeze. Either way it's getting warmer around here so I'll be able to head out within the next month I'm sure.

Thanks again everyone for the help

jeejthecat

Reaction score
Hope you're not actually gonna send this person a ccg who has admittedly never hopped before, and new to traveling in general. THAT'S how you blow up the spot.

OP, it won't be hard at all to find a mentor around where you're at and summer is coming.
I wanted to at least give him the rundown on the area he's gonna hop out from. If I didn't get help from randoms when I asked them for advice I would have had no idea what the fuck to do on the rails. Nobody held my hand to show me shit, but they at least told me where to go.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads