New from Utah

Reaction score
Just joined, been lurking for a bit off and on and decided time to join and maybe get this idea that's been rolling around in my head off the ground.

Anyways, name's Devin I'm divorced dad, libertarian/anarchist, open minded, spiritual non religious person. I have been part of the tea party and occupy movement. I was the solo occupier in front of the federal reserve for 3 and half days when everyone else bailed out on the local park site. I'm outspoken and passionate about the things I care about and would like to leave this mortal realm a better place than what we were given for my child as well as the rest of our kids.

Anyways nice to be here, hope to meet some like minded people and get this idea I have off the ground and not only do some good, but to send a message to greedy elitists and the rest of the world that WE THE PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER.

Favorite speech ever was the great dictator by Charlie Chaplin.

Reactions: Odin and pir8 qu33n

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nice to meet you Devin - you are the second person in my life who I have met named Devin - love the name. Myself, I am wiccan. All sorts of cool people here. Lurking is cool, registering - the best! Welcome and - hopefully you find the resources here that you need for your travels!

Reaction score
Yeah I know, and maybe I'm optimistic but I'm trying to work to build bridges and bring people together and help them see we are all equally being fucked by the system and it's fascist leaders.

I do expect it to get violent, either agent provocateurs or dhs trying to suppress the protest especially after the Bundy Ranch situation. And from what I have heard is a very large group of dhs apc's have been spotted moving into Virginia/ dc area recently.

But, nothing worthwhile will be easy.

Reactions: pir8 qu33n

DuHastMich

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome. I've been hoping someone from Utah would come aboard (unless I've been sleeping and more exist from this area).

Hope you ingest the loads of useful information spread around these forums.

One question I have about Utah: read something about either the governor or SLC mayor (or someone with clout) giving away an apartment and a counselor to curb homelessness around there. They say homelessness in Utah costs $16,600 a person whereas giving an individual an apartment and a counselor costs less; if the individual refuses counseling (not mental health necessarily - more like a 'life coach'), they still keep the apartment.

Sounds like this carries a twofold purpose: crowd control and an excuse to raise state taxes.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Reaction score
Welcome. I've been hoping someone from Utah would come aboard (unless I've been sleeping and more exist from this area).

Hope you ingest the loads of useful information spread around these forums.

One question I have about Utah: read something about either the governor or SLC mayor (or someone with clout) giving away an apartment and a counselor to curb homelessness around there. They say homelessness in Utah costs $16,600 a person whereas giving an individual an apartment and a counselor costs less; if the individual refuses counseling (not mental health necessarily - more like a 'life coach'), they still keep the apartment.

Sounds like this carries a twofold purpose: crowd control and an excuse to raise state taxes.

Anyway, welcome aboard!
I haven't heard that. Interesting idea though and one that's actually more humane and logical than the jailhouse style shelters that are a facade.

Anyone else here from utah want to gather together and start working on a possible mass squat/adverse possesion on abandoned property and turning it into a co op/off grid/ sustainable home/educational spot to help others cut the strings and live more in tune with the earth?

pir8 qu33n

Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
There's still a decent number of homeless in Utah. I was in SLC and Ogden, and many towns between. Many are lost in their own world, or just off the grid. Gorgeous country to do that in. Just stay out of Ogden with camping or squatting, as the first one is illegal and there's a big military base out there that makes it questionable but the hopout is not bad.

.... And yes I did all 3, with near misses on 2. I've also hiked out of there, walked it in the dark to catch the on ramp going east. Nerve wracking when you can be arrested for that, and I have a dog.
If you're not a total ass, there's a Mormon Church organization (Ogden) that will give good and clothing vouchers, in trade for volunteer work. There's a shelter that hands out food and such not far from the commuter.
Also salvation army has clothing and food handouts.
They check tickets on the commuter train, so just watch out. They gave me the stink-eye for my pack, but not my dog, but I've been lucky everywhere I go, so don't count on that...

Money kind of sucked, Sundays are horrible(d-e-d DEAD) and worse if you drink. It's a 3.2 state, doesn't sell it on Sundays, but Mon thru Sat there's a state liquor store, close to the Ogden hopout.

this is all from a year and a half ago so if something's changed drastically, I'm sorry.
Good luck, safe travels!

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads