In Progress Suggestion New Avatar titles based on message counts versus "getting to know the place"

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
Here's how the pyramid goes: Come now we can get creative with this :D One thing I would like to stay though is "I'm a dirt bag and I got banned" hehe. I love the dirt bag. These are based on message points btw. Pretty sure this is an automatic setting but will check with Matt

Have fun!!

Current:
Just signed up = 0
is getting to know the place = 5
Hungry for Knowledge = 25
Appreciated Participator = 45
One of the Regulars = 75
Celebrated Poster = 100
Sir Posts a Lot = 250
STP Homebum = 500
Can't get enough of the site = 750
Completely Addicted = 1000

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
yeah, it's automatic. the number represents the amount of posts you have to make to earn that title under your name. also, keep in mind that donators get to put whatever they want as a title under their name.

OP
OP
Tude

Tude

Staff member
Threads
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
Here's how the pyramid goes: Come now we can get creative with this :D One thing I would like to stay though is "I'm a dirt bag and I got banned" hehe. I love the dirt bag. These are based on message points btw. Pretty sure this is an automatic setting but will check with Matt

Have fun!!

Current:
Just signed up = 0
is getting to know the place = 5
Hungry for Knowledge = 25
Appreciated Participator = 45
One of the Regulars = 75
Celebrated Poster = 100
Sir Posts a Lot = 250
STP Homebum = 500
Can't get enough of the site = 750
Completely Addicted = 1000
yeah, it's automatic. the number represents the amount of posts you have to make to earn that title under your name. also, keep in mind that donators get to put whatever they want as a title under their name.
cool - I'm learning my way around thanks! I think this could be fun btw

Threads
Current Location
outside omaha
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
hmmm I have 583 posts and am still a celebrated poster.

OP
OP
Tude

Tude

Staff member
Threads
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
hmmm I have 583 posts and am still a celebrated poster.
Oh noes you should be an STP Homebum!! :D Actually I like that title - this should stay. But we need new ones (other then Homebum hehe)

sucuri

Wanderer
Threads
Current Location
Brazil
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Maybe you should stretch the numbers out a little....I've been on here a month or two and have like 75 posts. Does that really make me one of the regualrs? Or just a blabbermouth :D

OP
OP
Tude

Tude

Staff member
Threads
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
LOL an STP Blabbermouth? LOL I like it! hehe much better than a pottymouth. Hey How are you doing with more pics - dude you are in an awesome spot!

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Threads
Current Location
silver city, new mexico
Reactions
86% 0% 13%
Ive never seen anyone above celebrated poster

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
There might be a bug in the software somewhere. I'm looking into it.

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Im mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Maybe you should stretch the numbers out a little....I've been on here a month or two and have like 75 posts. Does that really make me one of the regualrs? Or just a blabbermouth :D
I definitely see many of the new STP users thinking our site is somehow like faceborg or other social networking websites that measure klout using a rating system. I think anyone who is responding with single word or few word responses in agreement or disagreement just to enhance there rating is fake. I value quality over quantity & think most in this community feels the same. I assume that its just an option with all forums. I think time is just as valued as content but mere post count don't mean shit to me. What STP & the whole world doesn't need is wet behind the ears newbs that still has a room at mommy & daddys spreading fake wisdom to achieve online klout. I have seen many come & go that start off posting a ton & then drift away to their next hobby. I am living a lifestyle, it may not be exact as others but feel there is a common bond shared with most. Id like to think what we have here is a community with real peole that meet up with each other & share advice, stories & pics. I realize that I have been around awhile under this username but would urge everyone including myself to spend more time doing & less time planning & dreaming. Would it be wrong to limit the ability to post in certain sections until being around a few months? Anyway my advice to those new that may read this is "slow your roll"! Read & use the search engine prior to creating threads that have covered these new novel topics that may have been already posted a decade before by other members. There is no way to fake experience online or in person with another who has been around the block before.

Last edited:

kaichulita

soul rebel
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I definitely see many of the new STP users thinking our site is somehow like faceborg or other social networking websites that measure klout using a rating system. I think anyone who is responding with single word or few word responses in agreement or disagreement just to enhance there rating is fake. I value quality over quantity & think most in this community feels the same. I assume that its just an option with all forums. I think time is just as valued as content but mere post count don't mean shit to me. What STP & the whole world doesn't need is wet behind the ears newbs that still has a room at mommy & daddys spreading fake wisdom to achieve online klout. I have seen many come & go that start off posting a ton & then drift away to their next hobby. I am living a lifestyle, it may not be exact as others but feel there is a common bond shared with most. Id like to think what we have here is a community with real peole that meet up with each other & share advice, stories & pics. I realize that I have been around awhile under this username but would urge everyone including myself to spend more time doing & less time planning & dreaming. Would it be wrong to limit the ability to post in certain sections until being around a few months? Anyway my advice to those new that may read this is "slow your roll"! Read & use the search engine prior to creating threads that have covered these new novel topics that may have been already posted a decade before by other members. There is no way to fake experience online or in person with another who has been around the block before.
While I can see where you are coming from, I don't believe these ratings mean anything really in terms of traveling. I see these ratings as how active a person is on this website. As you can see, "celebrated poster" means someone who participates a lot on StP, not someone who travels a lot. I am, as you put it, a person who "still has a room at mommy & daddys" and is still "planning & dreaming". And so what? Is there a competition for who travels more and lives the "real" lifestyle? I sure as hell wasn't aware of this competition and if that's what traveling is about, then I don't want a part of it. I joined this website because none of my friends are really interested in traveling the way people on StP do and I am looking to meet supportive people who are willing to share the experience of traveling with me. If I am unable to post to communicate with others just because I am new, it would prevent me from meeting these people. Plus, what about new users who have just found out about the website, but have been travelers for a while?

Unfortunately, my situation doesn't let me up and go whenever I want, because I have a lot of ties to responsibilities that I don't see as beneficial for me to let go of completely. That is the reason why I am planning. And yeah, I haven't traveled as much as I would have liked to, but I don't pretend that I have and I don't pretend to be someone that I'm not. I try to participate on this website because I am gaining a lot of knowledge as well as support from StP and want to show my appreciation and gratitude by actively contributing to the site with whatever information or resources I have to offer to others.

However, this may not be the case for any of the other inexperienced travelers on StP and you may be right; but I would just like to enlighten you to the fact that not all the new users are here for a high status rating.

Last edited:

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Im mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I don't think that I was accusing all newcomers are here to boost the online rating attached to their account. I think my response post only applies to some. When @sucuri posted how many posts he had in 1 month It definitely reminded me of a pattern with most newcomers. Not that OI have any idea what all of @sucuri s posts are about. People who have traveled before will most likely be more humble on their approach since they actually have met, will meet others in this community. It is often easier to embellish your exploits or create them online instead of in person with others who know better. There are others who are active on this website & have been off the road for decades. I wish I still had a place at my parents. My situation of raising a 10 year old with my son already being age 18 & trying to balance traveling and working; but I do it.

My only problem is when the new users post road dawg requests & introductions on day 1 of their STP life saying they don't know shit; & then fast forward a few months & they are now "King of the Road".

If I had to pick either online "Competition" or "Actual" Competition I would pick neither since I don't compete with anyone I just exist.

sucuri

Wanderer
Threads
Current Location
Brazil
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I don't think that I was accusing all newcomers are here to boost the online rating attached to their account. I think my response post only applies to some. When @sucuri posted how many posts he had in 1 month It definitely reminded me of a pattern with most newcomers. Not that OI have any idea what all of @sucuri s posts are about. People who have traveled before will most likely be more humble on their approach since they actually have met, will meet others in this community. It is often easier to embellish your exploits or create them online instead of in person with others who know better. There are others who are active on this website & have been off the road for decades. I wish I still had a place at my parents. My situation of raising a 10 year old with my son already being age 18 & trying to balance traveling and working; but I do it.

My only problem is when the new users post road dawg requests & introductions on day 1 of their STP life saying they don't know shit; & then fast forward a few months & they are now "King of the Road".

If I had to pick either online "Competition" or "Actual" Competition I would pick neither since I don't compete with anyone I just exist.
Fair enough, but like kaichulita said, just because you are new to the site dosen't mean you are new to travelling. I've been living this as a lifestyle for five years and most of what I have posted has either been information about my area (Brazil, which I noticed there is basically no info about Brazil on here), my two cents about how to get down here, stories about my travels in South America, and a few words of encouragement to new travelers. So far no one has reprimanded me for posting nonsense. I've been resting for a month and have had regular internet access, and I found plenty of things that interested me here, so that may explain my seventy something post count.

I joined StP because I like forums about travelling and I know I will have to go home someday, so I want to learn some about how it is to travel in the United States. Like for example, will what I do down here to get by work there. So long as you're not posting, like you said, one word answers or simple agreement, I don't see anything wrong with having used StP regularly enough to rack up that many posts in a month.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Reactions
99% 0% 1%

You're right that your response only applies to some. And maybe there is a pattern with the newcomers on here, but I just don't agree with your idea that new users shouldn't be allowed to post anything until after they've been on here for a few months. It's unfair and unwelcoming to newcomers in general, and your logic behind it comes from a sense of superiority/seniority which I think is a superficial reason to implement such a rule. Just because some of them use StP to flaunt their traveling experiences/embellish their exploits, doesn't mean the rest of the new users should be limited. Plus, who cares if they say they're "King of the Road"? Nobody is going to take someone who claims that title seriously because the road and act of traveling belongs to everyone. More importantly, they're not hurting/disrespecting anybody by claiming such a title. Besides that, who is anyone on here to judge when someone should have the right to speak their mind on a public forum? Of course there are going to be those who pretend to be someone they're not online, but you have people who do that in person as well. Should they no longer speak until they stop being fake? Sure, they're annoying, but you can't get rid of people like that and it doesn't help to be bothered by things that shouldn't affect you. I'm not trying to be rude to you, but I just want you to understand where I'm coming from.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said already besides that I'd like to point out the point of 'user titles' is simply for a reference on how many posts someone has, which (ideally) should be representative of their level of interaction and contributions to the website. and really, it's not something to be taken seriously, it's really just for fun.

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Threads
Current Location
171 Market St, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
Reactions
89% 1% 10%
seems convoluted / redundant to have both a title based on post count and the count itself listed. just my opinion.

on the topic though, I don't understand why anybody would want to raise their post count unnecessarily.. I regard mine as a direct indicator of how much time I've spent talking the talk and not walking at all. and generally I tend to want to keep mine as low as possible. don't wanna noise up the signal, know what I mean? but in any case, it's not a big deal.

Threads
Current Location
Delaware
Reactions
92% 0% 8%
I think anyone who is responding with single word or few word responses in agreement or disagreement just to enhance there rating is fake.
I agree.