1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, this notice is just to let you know that we periodically remove threads in the Road Dogs area that have had no responses in the past year. This way you can be assured the listings here are (relatively) fresh!

Nelson, BC to Mpls (company / advice

Discussion in 'Road Dogs & Meet Up' started by Tadaa, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Tadaa

Tadaa Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Address:
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    In Nelson, BC now visiting friends and heading to Minneapolis.

Most likely trainhopping. Either hitching a ride to Revelstoke and ride an IM to Winnipeg and then hitch south to Mpls.
    Or head south from here to Spokane and ride the high/low line to minneapolis.

If somebody wants to join hopping.. or if somebody is driving this way or parts of it i can pay for gas money.

Any advice on the highline is appreciated too ( hopped across canada few weeks ago without problems, but i see the highline has a lot more security then Canada. Still doing my resear h on it atm but besides havre it shouldnt be too bad ??

2. Popsicle

Popsicle One of the Regulars

Achievements:
    Drifter
    Address:
    Columbia, MO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +68 / -8
    Just got off the high ! Wrap up at night jackets are needed now getting a little cool .

Enjoy the ride !!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. sd40chef

sd40chef One of the Regulars

Achievements:
    Address:
    Smithers, British Columbia, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +122 / -1
    revelstoke to winnipeg should be no problem.if your rolling on an IM daytime thru moose jaw i'd be careful as the bull likes to look down into wells sporadically and will not hesitate to put you in jail. just a heads up, done it many times without problems though. some US bound trains will take a jct about 3/4~ miles east of moose jaw as well and head south towards portal. helps to have a scanner or ID american units??

• Like Like x 1
  4. sd40chef

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +122 / -1
    you could ride cranbrook to calgary aswell although i think some/most trains might term in lethbridge.

5. OP
    OP
    Tadaa

Achievements:
    Address:
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    Rolled into minneapolis 3 hours ago.. happy my friend lives in north east so didnt have to walk to much to grab a shower..

Ended up hitchhiking to Whitefish , Montana. Got there at 7 pm, (6 hour trip from nelson) Stocked up on water and food. Got a few beers in town and decided to camp near the tracks. When i was about to pitch my tent at 1 am a train rolled by and decided to just go for it and sleep on the train..
    Missed the most scenic part of the whole journey. But thats a reason to do another trip out west.
    Had no problems with security.. just bailed off the train iñ havre before it rolled into the yard and got back on in the yard after inspection.. (Black pick up truck 'hiding' at the far start of the yard checking train so bail the moment you come around the corner and see the yard.. easy enough to get back on later.

7000 miles into my summer trip.. ( boston-chicago- minneapolis- ohio-toronto- vancouver- minneapolis) gonna try and put some pictures up soon and write some things down..
    But for now.. Chill in minneapolis a bit and then the last part. Back to boston..

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Tadaa

Achievements:
    Address:
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    @sd40chef i see you live in Smithers, BC. Are you from there ? I lived there 7 years ago for like10 months.. ( my ex boyfriend was from there)

7. sd40chef

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +122 / -1
    sweet! nah I was just joyriding the cn line in northern bc and exploring...spent about a week in smithers...pretty nice scenery up there.

8. OP
    OP
    Tadaa

Achievements:
    Address:
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    I know.. its amazing up there. If you re still in town, check out the Babine mountains. There is a sweet cabin up there. ( Joe L' orsa Cabin)
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/babine_mtn/

But i wasnt ready to live in northern Canada yet back then.. and not sure if i ever would be tho haha
    I was always looking at the trains coming through town.. dreaming of hopping them . Didnt hop yet back then. 8 years ago it was nothing but grainers and coal?

But now they run IM through there? Just read there is a train from Prince Rupert all the way to Minneapolis.. Maybe i should go visit town again one day.. Seems some of the people i still know there are working for the railroad nowadays..

Have a safe and fun journey out there man !

9. sd40chef

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +122 / -1
    im down in the whistler/squamish area right now, gonna ride east soon, waiting for a good friend/road dog to meet me in Vancouver first. will be back in the future though fosho!

Yeah, now there is a big container terminal in Prince Rupert. Atleast 1 daily to Chicago with others to Toronto, montreal, Minneapolis perhaps, less than daily. Unit grain and coal depart from ridley island. super laid back riding up there. prince Rupert is a big swamp though! ruined my laptop and passport in the storm up there while riding a 48 well. wettest part of Canada! one of the fish canneries in prince Rupert has 2 trailers for showers and laundry and many locals use the facilities free of cost without hassle, a heads up to anyone heading that way! I forget which cannery it is as I didn't use it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Tadaa

Achievements:
    Address:
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    Still dreaming of riding north out of vancouver to squamish, whistler, pemberton and lillooet. Hitched that so many times but never hopped..
    You ended up hitching there or hopping ?

11. sd40chef

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +122 / -1
    I rode PR to PG then I ended up getting a ride to Williams lake and catching the daily sbd to squamish. CCG in Lillooet and should work a bit. west of Lillooet is a very scenic ride along Seton and Anderson lakes. HIGHLY recommended. lots of Cadillac grainers on the bcr line, don't know what to call em.

#11 sd40chef, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  12. OP
    OP
    Tadaa

Achievements:
    Address:
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    If only i could stay another 3 months riding this continent..

13. Clay Ladouceur

Clay Ladouceur Just signed up

Achievements:
    Address:
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    im catching a bus to Edmonton tomorrow and will be posted there for a bit. Going to get some gear and a passport and make my way south too