Neighbor is a dickface

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
So we are parked on the side of my moms house for a couple months. The other day the city called her to tell her that a neighbor has complained about us living in our van. Making insane accusations, like we're smoking pot, using the bathroom outside, and that we have a tent set up in the back yard.

This douche actually called the city, the mayor, the police, and the health department.. in which all of them told him we aren't doing anything wrong. Yesterday someone from the health department came out with someone from the city, and both couldn't understand why anyone would complain. They couldn't find one thing wrong.

Why the fuck can't people mind their own business!?? ugh.

Oh well 3 more months left in ohio, and we will be on the road. We really hope to run into other people on the road, and give people rides. As a couple who hitched across the country, we just wanna be able to pay it forward. So hopefully we will see you all soon!

K

Kim Chee

I'm not defending your neighbors actions.

Has anybody (your parents) made an effort to befriend them over the years?

Before you began camping on your Mom's property, did anybody (your parents) explain to the neighbors what would be happening and for how long?

Of course they can't mind their own business, they are probably a little sensitive and concerned about falling property values. But they're probably mostly concerned about the dope they think you are going to be selling to "get back on your feet".

There are all kinds of people in the world, some have tons of ink and funky piercings, others can't seem to mind their own damn business.

Also, much is going to depend on the neighborhood. Are we talking Ozzy and Harriet or 1313 Mockingbird lane?

Pretty cool of you to offer rides. You might consider posting on the rideboard before you head out.

Happy travels:)

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
My mom is well liked and friends with everyone, has lived in the neighborhood for probably 40 years. This guy married the woman who lives in the house about 2 years ago.

Our van is a 2000, and it great condition, it just looks like a van parked on the side of a house. There's no mess, and we don't cause ruckus. He has a neighbor right beside him that has an old 22ft travel trailer, and the people on the other side of him do smoke week, often. We are about 70-80 yards away diagonally away from him. So I cannot imagine what his deal is.
van.PNG
van2.PNG

• Haha
Reactions: TheWindAndRain
K

Kim Chee

He's just scared what "his" neighborhood has become.

I'm sure everything you have going on is legit, no doubt.

Some people are uptight, that is what you have next door.

Might have been able to defuse the situation before it became anything had your folks told them what was going on.

On the brighter side, sounds like the city is taking it well.

Durp

Reaction score
I think the issue might just lay in the state you are residing. I grew up in Oh, and it seems the state past time is to try and make those around you just as miserable as your self. Sorry about the bad neighbor. Did you try going over there with a pack of beer to try and work things out? Who does not like it when a neighbor shows up with a case of beer?

D

Deleted member 16034

This douche actually called the city, the mayor, the police, and the health department.. in which all of them told him we aren't doing anything wrong. Yesterday someone from the health department came out with someone from the city, and both couldn't understand why anyone would complain. They couldn't find one thing wrong.

Why the fuck can't people mind their own business!?? ugh.

Yiiiikes. That sounds like Portland, it seems like every day I read something new about these "Van dwelling hobos that are ruining ______." Even though the people bitching usually have their house in fucking shambles and are living in the poorest neighbourhoods to begin with. It's only three more months, as long as you keep doing you and you aren't breaking any rules than this guy can go love himself and you can be off doing you.

Where are y'all planning to go?

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
Yiiiikes. That sounds like Portland, it seems like every day I read something new about these "Van dwelling hobos that are ruining ______." Even though the people bitching usually have their house in fucking shambles and are living in the poorest neighbourhoods to begin with. It's only three more months, as long as you keep doing you and you aren't breaking any rules than this guy can go love himself and you can be off doing you.

Where are y'all planning to go?

EVERYWHERE! We leave september 29th, and have to go to a wedding in missouri, then I have to be in a friends wedding back here in ohio Oct 14th, Then its a little bit of the north east coast, and down to florida for the winter, well at least till december, then we will be heading west. We plan to spend most of our time out west.

roguetrader

Reaction score
guy sounds like he got a dose of Brit in his genetic make up - over here complaining bout the neighbours is the national pastime - even if you doing nothing wrong they'll find SOMETHING to moan about.... my buddy had a little living trailer parked on land he owned tucked away in the corner of a field, even painted it green to blend in - next door neighbour complains to the council over and over til he got it moved - 'an eyesore' he said - but wait what has he got on his land ? a trailer PARK with about 50 fucking trailers parked year round ! the irony.....

Reactions: Mankini

Crazy Squirrel

Reaction score
It's been my personal experience that a lot of people just fucking suck, and trying to appease those people is an exercise in futility, because they'll just start in on you about something else. It seems a lot of people don't mature past junior high school.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i actually saw @wanderlovejosh 's video on their channel before i read this thread. digging the channel by the way, keep it up!

the sad fact that i think some people are just very close minded and can't wrap their heads around people living differently than them. i had a very similar incident happen when i was living in a school bus, someone called the cops on us just because we were in the neighborhood. we were completely legal though, so they didn't do anything to us.

another time we had a horrible neighbor that kept harassing us and doing strange things like walking by and punching the bus in the middle of the night. even though we were legally parked on our friend's property we finally moved after he called the cops several times and just wouldn't leave us alone. we definitely let him know how we felt about him afterwards though.

roguetrader

Reaction score
having lived in large off beat vehicles for years I know this issue well ! some of the crazy ideas people get about our lives defy logic and lead to all kinds of strange reactions / behaviour..... the media don't help by labeling us all as thieving drug addicts - but then people are almost disappointed to find out we're relatively normal and go to work, the kids are in school, we got light, heat, hot water etc.....

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
Thats awesome @Matt Derrick Thanks a lot for watching!

I can't understand 90% of societies logic... I pay taxes like the rest of the suckers.. but since I sleep in a van its just crazy.... Oh well... hopefully we will be gone before he comes up with some insane plan to rid us.

Zaphod

Reaction score
I think the issue might just lay in the state you are residing. I grew up in Oh, and it seems the state past time is to try and make those around you just as miserable as your self. Sorry about the bad neighbor. Did you try going over there with a pack of beer to try and work things out? Who does not like it when a neighbor shows up with a case of beer?

As another Ohio native, I can say this is 100% true. You must feel the Ohio misery!

wavyhill

Reaction score
My mom is well liked and friends with everyone, has lived in the neighborhood for probably 40 years. This guy married the woman who lives in the house about 2 years ago.

Our van is a 2000, and it great condition, it just looks like a van parked on the side of a house. There's no mess, and we don't cause ruckus. He has a neighbor right beside him that has an old 22ft travel trailer, and the people on the other side of him do smoke week, often. We are about 70-80 yards away diagonally away from him. So I cannot imagine what his deal is. View attachment 31012 View attachment 31013
My guess is that this 2 year relationship is already on the skids. If he has more time to bitch about you than snuggle with his sweetie there is something wrong there. I had a similar dickface neighbor that actually complained that a mole from my yard kept invading his, therefore he had no choice but to plant a hedge 2 feet into my property. I got the property line specs from the city and showed that he needed to move his hedge and laughed at him when he kept blaming "my mole." I told him he was free to kill my "pet mole" if that would make him happy. Come to find out later it wasn't even his house, he was just shacked up with the lady next door, which I found out after she booted his ass. What a Maroon.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

wavyhill

Reaction score
It's been my personal experience that a lot of people just fucking suck, and trying to appease those people is an exercise in futility, because they'll just start in on you about something else. It seems a lot of people don't mature past junior high school.
Agreed. In fact, with some people the less you interact with them the better. As in, the more they get to know you the more fuel they have for future shenanigans. Better to remain a little mysterious so they are not quite sure what is safe to do to you, if you get my meaning.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads