How do you get over the fear?

Psylock1045

Reaction score
I finally just started traveling yesterday. I left Dundalk, MD, got off baltimore MTA in Hunt Valley, and have pedaled my way to Shrewsbury, PA. Last night The sheer mass of what I am doing collapsed on me, and I broke down and cried. And again this morning, as I crossed the line into PA. And now I'm sitting in a mcdonalds contemplating where the heck I'm sleeping tonight, and it's starting to get to me again. This is the first time I've ever done this, and it is by far the hardest, scariest thing I've ever done. I keep pushing myself through the pain, the fatigue, and the fear. But I don't know how much longer before I don't have anymore "JUST DO IT" left in me. Does it get any easier?

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
It does get easier, the more you travel and the further you go the more you'll start to feel comfortable with what you're doing. Eventually you'll worry less about things like where you'll sleep and you'll start to feel the thrill of adventure. Remember, there is an order to everything and although you may feel scared now, those feelings won't last.

You're on an adventure! So surrender to the unknown and enjoy yourself!

Psylock1045

Reaction score
And also, is it wise to carry food beyond a few emergency things? Cuz part of my problem is I brought food with me and it's weighing me down. Pedaling hills is nearly impossible. I'm so out of shape :/

Reactions: Mankini

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Yer a pedaling person I take it. I'm sorry but I love the tickle up the back of my spine when I'm out and I know I'm out. I'm not out going from Rochester to Penfield NY -No I'm out for a few days going whereever I want too. And I love those times. Take myself out into the sticks with my compass and state - GET TUDE LOST (and ooohhh boy I've done that!!!!). it's fun. Sometimes scary fun.

Have only done 3-5 days on the bike myself but want more. Get the tingle and love it. - it's awesome. Did not like camping next to water though - thank you mosqoutios and other crawlees.

Reactions: Kal and Mankini

Sip

Reaction score
You only need a few emergency things. If you've got so much fucking food you can't pedal, then that is obviously a problem. A man I respected used to say, "Go for six days before you turn around. You can turn around after that, but give yourself six days." My first time out, I was scared as fuck!! The only reason I even finally went out was because I had lied myself into a corner and had no way out of it. I STILL get terrified right before heading out, but that first step down the highway chases away the fear. It's NORMAL to be scared, but don't let it stop you. Six days. Then you can reconsider. Trust me, it gets better.

Psylock1045

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately I didn't give my self 6 days time. And given that I have way too much stuff, i'm probably turning towards home on monday. But I'm definitely not done. I'll be back on the road after next weekend most likely. Got too many things I want to do still. I'm gonna stash my bicycle and stuff somewhere tomorrow and try to hitch to York and back tomorrow. So far I've had excellent luck with getting food, decent luck with getting money ( haven't worked up the nerve to spange at an intersection yet, but flew a sign on the back of my bike as I was riding and got $30 between 4 people ) and a ride offered up a hill shortly after my journey started. The road is telling me I belong, and my own overplanning and overzealousness is the only reason I'm having so much difficulty. Sure wish i could get a hold of my emotions though. This crying stuff sucks when I want to be happy lol

K

Kim Chee

If you're into stashing gear be sure to read up on "bushbeaters". No, not the people who who hated the former president, they are people who will jack your gear when it is in the bushes while you're taking a break.

It does get easier.

• Useful

CAPSbingy

Reaction score
Having spent 3 years pedaling, I would normally only carry 2-3 meals at any time, so like half a pack of oats and some rice/pasta and then try and dumpster or usually ask at markets later on in the day for fruit and veggies as they are heavy and you dont want to carry them......oats, banana and water all smashed up in a water bottle is insane fuel for the body and cheap....

Life on the road takes time, after a while its life off the road that scares me

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
For me, it worked to do one step at a time. First time traveling I was just backpacking from hostel to hostel. Never really used my sleeping bag. Next time it was similar, but I had many new experiences (like first time in a squat) and spend one night outside. Last trip, I used my sleeping bag quite often. Just as an example.

It's not a shame to have a breakdown. I had one end of my last trip as I realized everything was badly planned and that I made many mistakes during the trip, so that the only feasible thing to do - under current circumstance - was to go back home. I planned to stay much longer than a month and now I had to head home after 3 weeks.

But we all learn from our mistakes. :)

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I don't bike (I'm far too lazy and have no coordination anymore) but I did take an extended trip on my motorcycle once and I felt the same way...and that was on my way back!

I'm a walker. I love to walk and would walk everywhere if I could.

Maybe riding a bike, just isn't for you and you'd be better hitching and walking?

Don't beat yourself up. You'll find your rhythm.

Cheers!

Psylock1045

Reaction score
Well, given the fact that I've been on 2 wheels almost as much as I've been on my feet in my life, i'm pretty positive that cycling is for me, lol. I just way overpacked.

I got through last night pretty easily. Set up camp as a storm rolled in, took cover in the mcD's nearby while the storm raged, then went back and went to sleep. There was a little bit of paranoia and unease as I slept...felt a lot more exposed, being near a highway and behind a busy 24 hour walmart. But I fell asleep pretty fast.

Having some issues with waking up multiple times through the night, but I'm sure that's just cuz i'm not used to the openness of sleeping in a tent.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Having some issues with waking up multiple times through the night, but I'm sure that's just cuz i'm not used to the openness of sleeping in a tent.

LOL, yes, and you will get used to it. A year ago I woke up many times sleeping the first night outside - in my garden. All those strange little noises I was not used to ... ;) And you can bet I woke up about every hour sleeping rough the first time in London. Next time (after getting a little "practice" in Brighton) I crawled into my sleeping bag at 11pm and woke up at 5am. :)

Psylock1045

Reaction score
Okay so after spending the morning in a church ( and making $25 by just sitting there looking homeless, hell yeah for kind church-goers! ) I talked to a member of staff and located a wonderful hidden spot to stash my bike and belongings, so at some point today I'm gonna reorganize my stuff to fit only essentials in my backpack and then ima start hitching my way around. Just gotta figure out how to hitch from I-83.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads