Need some advice : // | Squat the Planet

Need some advice : //

ibbyhippy

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to this whole vagabond thing but it's something i've been romanticizing in my head since like middle school. I'm in a dilemma. I wanna hit the road, but if i do so, i will be burning any sort of bridge i have with my dad. Meaning that if i hit the road, i will never be allowed back home again.

My dad is an old school iraqi man and he's the type to disown me for leaving. He almost disowned me and kicked me out after he caught me smoking weed so i have no doubt that if i leave i will never be allowed home again.

Meaning if i leave, and i end up not liking the life style, i will have no where to go. That's my biggest fear. I'm still unsure as to whether or not i should throw away this relationship, because as scummy as it sounds, my relationship with my paps is whats giving me free rent lol and that's not something i'm taking for granted.

Right now i only work 30 hours a week which gives me enough money to get high and buy myself things and also gives me free time to make music and be creative. If i hit the road and end up regretting it, i won't be able to live like this again.

I don't know what i'm even asking because at the end of the day only i can decide if it's worth it or not, but i guess i'm looking for some perspective. I've been overthinking this so much i don't even know what to think anymore.

Thanks in advance <3

wonder

Reaction score
if you hit the road now do you have any skills you can use to make money ? like me in summer i can go to any apt complex or resort in the usa and work as there a/c guy free apt plus pay and off weekend

ibbyhippy

Reaction score
if you hit the road now do you have any skills you can use to make money ? like me in summer i can go to any apt complex or resort in the usa and work as there a/c guy free apt plus pay and off weekend

No real skills. I was planning on singing for busking, that's something that i'm passionate about and feel confident that i'm at a level where i can busk but i don't know a lot about busking but yea, no actual skills that can earn me hard money if that's what you're asking.

Reactions: Testicool

wonder

Reaction score
there some that can busk well you can find someone to show you the ropes or try it on your for don't seem like you can eat from nature so don't do it if you can't feed yourself

almostvicious

Reaction score
Website
almostvicious.tumblr.com
My parents kicked me out two years ago while I was still in high school with no skills no job whatsoever and nowhere to go. It was very scary in the beginning. But here I am, I found a job, and moved in a freaking cool house a few weeks ago. Don't worry, theres always a solution to your problems and an answer to your questions. Especially with this website as a source of information and advice I think you'll do just fine. And even if you end up not liking this lifestyle, I'm sure you'll find a way to get back on your feet :)
Best of luck to you!

S

spectacular

You could say you're going on a camping trip with friends or to a school program that requires travel and then just leave, do your thing, come back. If this applies but if he's thorough it won't.

G

Grubblin

I didn't mean that the way it sounded. Just be happy with whatever you do. There are no guarantees for anything you'll ever do, or anyone you'll ever be in life. Sometimes you find out that the hard way whether you choose it or not. All you can do is make the best out of whatever you have, wherever you are.

G

Grubblin

About courage, everyone on this site has been afraid, as has everyone you've ever known, or ever will know. Courage comes from living, freaking the fuck out when you fear a situation, then living through it to realize that it wasn't such a big deal. I bet you have more courage than you think, you just haven't lived enough to know it yet. But again, do what makes you happy, I don't want to be the one who sways the undecided.

swellard

Reaction score
heya guy!! welcome to the site!!

As far as your situation goes, that is a dilemma. I think most of these people who hit the road right outta high school end up being fine, but the thing with your pops is definitely a big factor. 'Course, you don't want to ruin your guys' relationship. That's a given.

The thing that comes to mind would be to just wait. Get a house, establish yourself as an adult, and then hit the road when you're all set.

But it might not be so easy for you.
Wanderlust is a powerful thing, and if you really couldn't fight the urge to get out there and live a little, then, well, you could just leave.

I don't know how things are with you and your father, but just about every parent loves their kid & wants the best for them. If you did end up wanting to return to society, I'd think there's a chance your dad would let you into his home again. Even if he didn't, you could probably build up a good relationship with him over time if you were able to demonstrate responsibility and self-sufficiency.

Another thing I'd like to note is that you can't live for other people. By leaving home, I wouldn't say you're doing your father wrong by any means. You're just doing you. You have to be happy. There's no point in living if you can't be happy. So live for yourself. Within reason. Just be a good person, and try to have a good time while you can. You don't want to regret missing out on your dreams.

I hope that made sense.
Really, I wish you the best of luck. It'll all be good in the end. :^)

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
Meaning that if i hit the road, i will never be allowed back home again.

“There was nowhere to go but everywhere, keep rolling under the stars.” - Kerouac

My family disowned me for several years because I finally just up and left one day, after suffering through a life I wasn't living for me but rather for them. I was miserable. People who really love you do sometimes make mistakes out of fear and confusion that cost you your peace of mind if you let it. You don't want to hurt them, they want what they think is best for you—nobody wins at that game in the end. Eventually, my family did start talking to me again and even asked me about my adventures and a lot of them were envious.

It all started with me deciding what I needed to do for myself and doing it.

Leo Cristo

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to this whole vagabond thing but it's something i've been romanticizing in my head since like middle school. I'm in a dilemma. I wanna hit the road, but if i do so, i will be burning any sort of bridge i have with my dad. Meaning that if i hit the road, i will never be allowed back home again.

My dad is an old school iraqi man and he's the type to disown me for leaving. He almost disowned me and kicked me out after he caught me smoking weed so i have no doubt that if i leave i will never be allowed home again.

Meaning if i leave, and i end up not liking the life style, i will have no where to go. That's my biggest fear. I'm still unsure as to whether or not i should throw away this relationship, because as scummy as it sounds, my relationship with my paps is whats giving me free rent lol and that's not something i'm taking for granted.

Right now i only work 30 hours a week which gives me enough money to get high and buy myself things and also gives me free time to make music and be creative. If i hit the road and end up regretting it, i won't be able to live like this again.

I don't know what i'm even asking because at the end of the day only i can decide if it's worth it or not, but i guess i'm looking for some perspective. I've been overthinking this so much i don't even know what to think anymore.

Thanks in advance <3
totally go for it. There are ways to live cheap and still work enough to stay satisfied. Ive been on the road since I was 14 nd sometimes yeah I wanna be lazy and just chill and not worry where I'm going so I do, just not always at a house haha but youll meet ppl that will be really welcoming and youll be able to just chill out and not always on the go. I usually stay 2-6 months in one spot making money and resources. ive lived in nice houses during my travels too. started with no skills then ended up working for famous rappers in LA like anything can happen yo! please go experience it. you may not get the at home luxury but youll definitely get to fulfil that sweet wanderlust and also add to it a ton. I'm stoked for you I think youll def head out soon. I hope so anyway. best of luck <3

ibbyhippy

Reaction score
totally go for it. There are ways to live cheap and still work enough to stay satisfied. Ive been on the road since I was 14 nd sometimes yeah I wanna be lazy and just chill and not worry where I'm going so I do, just not always at a house haha but youll meet ppl that will be really welcoming and youll be able to just chill out and not always on the go. I usually stay 2-6 months in one spot making money and resources. ive lived in nice houses during my travels too. started with no skills then ended up working for famous rappers in LA like anything can happen yo! please go experience it. you may not get the at home luxury but youll definitely get to fulfil that sweet wanderlust and also add to it a ton. I'm stoked for you I think youll def head out soon. I hope so anyway. best of luck <3

Thank you brother. That was really encouraging. I was having a lot of doubts that really just stemmed from the fear of the unknown. I will def hit the road tho. I can't keep putting it in the back of my mind because it always resurfaces. Again thanks for the kind words.

ibbyhippy

Reaction score
“There was nowhere to go but everywhere, keep rolling under the stars.” - Kerouac

My family disowned me for several years because I finally just up and left one day, after suffering through a life I wasn't living for me but rather for them. I was miserable. People who really love you do sometimes make mistakes out of fear and confusion that cost you your peace of mind if you let it. You don't want to hurt them, they want what they think is best for you—nobody wins at that game in the end. Eventually, my family did start talking to me again and even asked me about my adventures and a lot of them were envious.

It all started with me deciding what I needed to do for myself and doing it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope that my fam accepts me one day, but you're right, you can't live for other people. That's something that i find myself doing too much. Thanks again : )

Leo Cristo

Reaction score
Thank you brother. That was really encouraging. I was having a lot of doubts that really just stemmed from the fear of the unknown. I will def hit the road tho. I can't keep putting it in the back of my mind because it always resurfaces. Again thanks for the kind words.
no problem even experienced travelers second guess themselves sometimes if they should settle down now or explore more. for some people that's always going to be in the back of your mind, but its way better to be more secure later in life after you at least take the plunge and get out there at least for one good adventure.

almostvicious

Reaction score
Website
almostvicious.tumblr.com
the first steps on the road are always the scariest, but try not to overthink too much because thats what will get you in trouble hahah. I know it seems impossible, but try to trust the unknown because if it goes well you'll be thankful, and in case you stumble upon people that are not so good, it will bring you knowledge. Also, don't hesitate to ask for help in any situation.
(plus if you have any specific questions about what leaving home is like, feel free to hit me up ^^)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads