Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
So one of the many hurdles I'm looking for help with is rebuilding the help section of StP:

https://squattheplanet.com/help

Most of the content has already been written but is missing pictures to illustrate what is being said. In addition, some of the text needs to be updated to accurately describe how to do that task, since a few minor things have changed since we upgraded from Xenforo 1 to Xenforo 2.

You can see what needs to be done by visiting the help area via the link above. There are currently three main sections that need attention:
Requirements for this job are some kind of computer, the Nimbus Screenshot browser extension, decent communication skills and a general attention to detail. Must be okay with some small revisions. Successful completion of this project will lead to more work as I will need more help pages created for our file library and other sections of the website as those features get released to the public.

I am willing to pay $25 per section to have this done. If you finish all sections I will pay you an extra $25, making the total payment $100. Payment will not be available until Sept 28th (my next paycheck) so you can start now or wait until I have the cash in hand, your choice.

Completed help guides can be posted in this thread and I will transfer them to the help section of the website. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Threads
Current Location
Bisbee, Arizona
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
Changing Thread Titles:

If you'd like to change the title of a thread you've created, at the top of the thread (opposite the Thread Title) are the button links that compose the Thread Options menu.

thrdoptnsloca-gif.45885_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_2:49 AM

Click on More Options (the three dots), rightmost on the Thread Options menu. A drop down menu with the options to Create Poll and Edit Thread. Poll creation will be covered later, so click on Edit Thread.

mroptnsclk-gif.45886_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_2:49 AM

The following overlay window will appear, allowing you to change the Prefix and Title of your thread. Make sure to click on the SAVE button after making whatever changes you like.

edtthrdwin-gif.45887_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_2:49 AM

Editing Posts:

To edit a post, click the Edit link below the post you'd like to edit. If the Edit link isn't available, seven (7) days have passed since the original post. Donators don't have this limitation.

pstedt-gif.45888_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_2:49 AM

Deleting Posts:

Next to the Edit link at the bottom of a post will be the Delete link if that section of the Forums allows users to do so. An overlay window will appear, asking for a reason to delete the post. A reason is NOT required to delete the post. Once ready to delete, click the DELETE button to delete your post.

delpst-gif.45889_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_2:49 AM

Deleting Threads:

To delete a thread you've created, use the Delete link (as stated above) of the FIRST post in the thread. This deletes the entire thread.

The same limitation with editing posts/threads applies to deleting them as well. Unless you're a Donator, neither is an option after from the original posting of that post/thread.

Last edited:
Threads
Current Location
Bisbee, Arizona
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
Using Thread Tabs

To keep things organized, we ask that when posting certain kinds of content that you add a Prefix to the thread you're creating. Clicking on the Prefix box opens a drop down menu giving you a number of thread tabs to choose from, depending on the content you're posting. You will see the tab next to your thread title once it's posted. Create the thread using the Post Thread button.

prefixshow-gif.46054_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_4:20 PM

You can use Prefixes to filter different types of content. You can see there are several located along the top of the Train Hopping forum. Clicking on any of these in a forum section will filter out any threads that do not have that prefix. These active Prefix filters are shown above the thread titles but below the forum title. Clicking the "x" on any of these will remove that Prefix filter, while clicking on the "Filters" menu to the right of them displays the Prefix Filter Menu. There you can go further into detail to locate the thread you need, or remove all the filters. Click on the Filter button for your changes to take effect.

threadfilters-gif.46055_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_4:20 PM

Prefix Categories
Some Prefixes you could see. They're pretty self-explanatory.
prefixes-png.46056_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_4:20 PM

Threads
Current Location
Bisbee, Arizona
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
I felt like I wasn't doing anything, so I posted this. I don't see why a "tagging" section is even necessary, though. Yet here it is.

Tagging Users
Tagging another User, whether to bring attention to something for them or to simply let them in on a conversation you're having on the Board, is very simple.
Type the "
@" symbol, then type the first few letters of the username (no space between the @ and the username) to see a small window listing users matching what you've typed. Either continue typing until you have their Username selected out of the window/fully typed, or search the list on the window for the User you intend to tag.
[Example Tag: @PeacefulSoul]
tagging-png.46057_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_4:34 PM

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
it looks okay so far, but you gotta watch for the widths when making those gifs. a lot of them are so wide that when viewed on a mobile device (i.e. shrunk down) it's very difficult to see what you are demonstrating. the thread filters gif is nearly 5mb which is way too large for low bandwith connections and and mobile devices.

i know filiming gifs and writing some text is the easy way to go here, but some of this stuff needs to be demonstrated one screen shot at a time.

also, the only text colors that should be necessary are orange to point out important things and green for links to other website pages.

Threads
Current Location
Bisbee, Arizona
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
Thanks, trying to emulate some of what was there and ended up complicating my task. I'll fix all that.
I can make them smaller, didn't think to optimize for shit phones/service (I have both!). Got a little fucked up and got carried away.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
@EphemeralStick hey would you be interested in picking this project up? the payment remains the same. pm me and i'll give you more details.

also, @Geraldo is interested, so if you're not they can take it, or maybe you can split it up, whatever...

Last edited:

EphemeralStick

HoMoBo HoBoMo
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
San Jose
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I'm pretty effing busy today and tomorrow so I'd pass it off to @Geraldo first and foremost!

QueerCoyote

granola punk
Threads
Current Location
Olean, NY
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I'd be down. Are there specific ones you want done currently, or just in general for the links posted in the OP?

Also as a heads up some of the pages aren't successful in displaying images with bbcode right now. Is the page for these still using bbcode or has it changed to another format?
https://squattheplanet.com/help/thread-prefixes/
https://squattheplanet.com/help/forgot-password/
https://squattheplanet.com/help/message-viewed/
There's likely more, these are just a few I clicked and c&p'ed.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Also as a heads up some of the pages aren't successful in displaying images with bbcode right now. Is the page for these still using bbcode or has it changed to another format?
so (unfortunately) the help pages are coded in straight html. the non-working bbcode is leftover from when the help area was a part of another addon that supported bbcode and attachments. my thought on this was that you could just post the updated pages here (and attach the images to the post) and I'll convert it all to html and upload the images to the appropriate locations.

pretty much anything with old bbcode or missing attachments needs to be re-done. the tutorials posted above need to be redone, i'll post a complete page list below. ideally any screen shots should be zoomed in enough they can be viewed on mobile devices. gifs are okay if they're under 1mb in size (it's fine if they are slightly over that limit).

list of pages that need to be done:
so, it looks like there's 17 total pages that need to be done. this help page is probably the best example of how this should all be formatted:

https://squattheplanet.com/help/search/

I generally use orange to highlight text that needs to be clicked on (i.e. click the post reply button) and green text is for links (links will automatically turn green when properly linked).

feel free to use whatever tools you like, although i highly recommend nimbus screenshot since it makes it quite easy to annotate and edit screen shots. for gifs you can use any kind of gif recorder.

you might run into problems where the text mentions things that aren't there, etc... if you come across something like that and don't know how to proceed, let me know and i'll see what i can do, since it's likely a feature that hasn't been activated yet or perhaps a bug (i've ran into two since writing this post).

if you're still interested, have at it and let me know if you have any questions!

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
so, i didn't realize until today that in the conversation view sidebar blocks are in a hidden side menu on mobile devices:

screenshot-squattheplanet-com-2018-10-11-09-43-34-png.46177_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_9:52 AM

screenshot-squattheplanet-com-2018-10-11-09-50-40-png.46176_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_9:52 AM

screenshot-squattheplanet-com-2018-10-11-09-51-08-png.46175_Need help writing guides for our help section! This is a paid gig!_Website Projects_Squat the Planet_9:52 AM

so feel free to use those last two screens for this help page:

https://squattheplanet.com/help/message-viewed/

or any others that might need it.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
@QueerCoyote if you're interested in this job let me know what your ETA is. it's not a rush by any means, but i just want to set a deadline so i know when to be ready to pay you.