need help getting out of mobile, AL

soapybum

Reaction score
So I either need to find a good on ramp to hitch north on 65 or I need to hop back to nola. I walked all the way out to an on-ramp in pritchard and the whole area is ghetto as fuck and no rides :(. Please help, any advice is great.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
craigslist ride shares, digihitch.com, if those don't work what i always do is catch a greyhound out of town to the next good hitching spot

Reactions: ayyyjayyy
D

Deleted member 363

I'm sure there are truckers going to NOLA.
Express Truck Wash & Fuel
transparent.png

2600 W I65 Service Rd N, Mobile, AL 36612-2100
Dauphin Center Office Plaza
transparent.png

2864 Dauphin Street, Mobile, AL 36606-2479

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Should be easy enough to hop out of Mobile. The yard is fucking huge, and crawling with security, but trains usually need to stop for clearance for quite a while to get in. Plenty of time to find a nice car to ride on.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
mobile sux..... wish i could help but i've never really had a "good spot" to get outta there....one time the cops told us they'd take us to jail for hitchin...we got out somehow....another time we had to walk right out one of the entances to the yard/port, the bull(i could see his police patch on his sleeve) just rolled past us kind of shaking his head...but yeah..you'l be ahhight...if your on here then you got access to google maps...soooo

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yea alabama in general sucks......but.......where exactly are you trying to get to? if you want to hitch, it looks like Montgomery is the next best hitching town. It looks much easier than Mobile - the 85 coming from the east connects in to the 65 so you'd get more traffic there. the greyhound to montgomery is 40 bucks (ordered online).

soapybum

Reaction score
thats $40 I dont have, and I wanna get a cheap fiddle and thats about $40 also. Anyway, ran into a guy from latvia that has a crew change, should be good.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
uhhh, I just realized your status says you are gonna hop your first train soon?
I hope your Latvian friend is well experienced, because a foreigner and a first timer going through Mobile might not be the best idea...
It is the state port there. It is ships, truck, and trains, fucking HUGE. And it has security out the ass... and in the ass. If you know what I mean ;)
uhhh, anyways, I can't really hold to that prior recommendation, but if you are gonna do it, please just find a caddie, get your ass in that rabbithole, and shut the fuck up till your in Nola...

soapybum

Reaction score
Thats an old status, this wont be my first hop, and the latvia dude has been traveling for 2ish years. I've just been having trouble finding a good hop out spot.

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Im not so good at making these google map links... sorry

left52side

Reaction score
It is the state port there. It is ships, truck, and trains, fucking HUGE. And it has security out the ass... and in the ass. If you know what I mean ;)

Yes mobile sucks ass.
14 days for criminal tresspass.and not timed served,with a court date and a warrant.
Locked down town and state docks eat ass.
just keep riding to gentilly yard.
Hate mobile.

Pixie Walden

Reaction score
So I either need to find a good on ramp to hitch north on 65 or I need to hop back to nola. I walked all the way out to an on-ramp in pritchard and the whole area is ghetto as fuck and no rides :(. Please help, any advice is great.
I had a trouble geting out of there as well, what direction are you heading? If your trying to go south its a pain in the ass, for some reason i had a problem finding the right hop out, if your staying on the loading dock u can see the south bounds go through several times a day and they stop right there from time to time, the north bound hop out is cake. I didnt even try to hitch hear but based off of the type of people I meet I would imagine its damn near impossible , if all else fail crack spange till u can get a bus to the next town over (or to new orleans if u can manage) cuz the bus station is right next to the yard.

Pixie Walden

Reaction score
I had a trouble geting out of there as well, what direction are you heading? If your trying to go south its a pain in the ass, for some reason i had a problem finding the right hop out, if your staying on the loading dock u can see the south bounds go through several times a day and they stop right there from time to time, the north bound hop out is cake. I didnt even try to hitch hear but based off of the type of people I meet I would imagine its damn near impossible , if all else fail crack spange till u can get a bus to the next town over (or to new orleans if u can manage) cuz the bus station is right next to the yard.
my bad i didnt mean south i meant west, sorry i just smoked a bunch of pot and i was thinking south cuz Alabama is south of where i am

Reactions: SmilinSteph

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads