Need advice.

MirrorLamp

Reaction score
I've been gathering supplies for my upcoming journey and everything seems to be coming together. I hope to leave within the next few weeks but I have one problem, where to?

Bear in mind that I'm currently in northern Delaware.

My original plan was to head south for the Winter. I tentatively decided on the Florida keys, but it then occurred to me that if I'm going south, I'll have to make my way through the south. I don't have much experience down there. All I really have to go on are stereotypes, and they don't paint a flattering picture. I'd prefer to stay somewhat closer to my comfort zone (initially, while I adjust to life on the road) so I thought maybe I should stay in Delaware for the winter. I've lived here my whole life and am used to the area so it seems significantly less daunting, but staying too close would kind of defeat the purpose. Plus, I'm afraid we'll have a repeat of last Winter.

I've started considering heading up to the Amish part of PA, because what's the worst that could happen there? But that would take me farther North, and even farther from the equator.

Finally, I've thought about saying "fuck it" and making my way to Alaska. Getting there would suck, but I feel like it would be relatively safe, and I could probably get a decent job up there.

What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance!

Stella Lum

Reaction score
Ultimately it is up to you whether you wanna freeze your ass off or not, but Alaska and getting there sounds like a pretty good journey.

biometreker

Reaction score
I've been gathering supplies for my upcoming journey and everything seems to be coming together. I hope to leave within the next few weeks but I have one problem, where to?

Bear in mind that I'm currently in northern Delaware.

My original plan was to head south for the Winter. I tentatively decided on the Florida keys, but it then occurred to me that if I'm going south, I'll have to make my way through the south. I don't have much experience down there. All I really have to go on are stereotypes, and they don't paint a flattering picture. I'd prefer to stay somewhat closer to my comfort zone (initially, while I adjust to life on the road) so I thought maybe I should stay in Delaware for the winter. I've lived here my whole life and am used to the area so it seems significantly less daunting, but staying too close would kind of defeat the purpose. Plus, I'm afraid we'll have a repeat of last Winter.

I've started considering heading up to the Amish part of PA, because what's the worst that could happen there? But that would take me farther North, and even farther from the equator.

Finally, I've thought about saying "fuck it" and making my way to Alaska. Getting there would suck, but I feel like it would be relatively safe, and I could probably get a decent job up there.

What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance!

South for winter is your best plan. Thats what i do. I am in Va. and based on how the weather is now, only head north if being cold is the goal for the next 5-7 months. besides that, it sucks to hitchhike in the plain states during fall and winter. the wind and icy cool air will get you quick. .I spend it in the southern states and then head to new england for summer. in about a month i am heading south southwest to Arizona, new mexico. maybe even mexico on the Baja. not all of mexico is bad. just need a passport and a friend to watch each others backs. Alaska is definitely an awesome place to go to. but not for this next 5 months. start your trip there in the spring.

lone wolf

Reaction score
i came down to Florida during the winter 9 years ago when i was living out of my car. drove to the Keys but immediately turned around. it's way too crowded for me. plenty of land between Miami and West Palm Beach if you're looking for a warm climate for the winter.

Art101

Reaction score
Go south sir go south. I lived down there for awhile and remember stereotypes are just that.There are the freak shows but generally everyone was pretty mellow and helpful.Besides it is warmer down there.Which is a plus.

Cirno9

Reaction score
Hmm I guess it would be fair to tell you before I left my hometown of seattle, I was scared of everything actually I was practically a NEET and a hikki (never left the house for years) until I was forced out onto the street and had to just deal with life outside. I mostly stick to myself still even when traveling and I stay hidden while sleeping, most people wont fuck with you even in the ghetto or deep south or what have you but my point is I understand the fear and the only cure is FORCING yourself out of your own comfort zone. Its a big step but remember, there is no courage without fear. Use it, its not a bad thing just dont let it stop you. Other than that Good luck with whatever you decide to do, you can get good jobs in fisheries in alaska and if you make it to seattle you can get a "free" boat ride up there if you become a fisherman lol

Art101

Reaction score
I enjoyed living in the south.I am a military history buff so there was alot to see. The people I met were very pleasant and laided back. The police I dealt with werent exactly bad but more very businesslike and dont appreciate smartasses. I had a job where I interacted often with them and that once you were around them a few times and they recognized you, it was a lot different relationship and yes I got out of a few speeding tickets.All in all everyone I met was pleasant helpful and friendly.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads