Need a little push

drinkwindexx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My friend and I are looking to get to Pittsburgh. We're catching out in Albany, NY. I have read a lot about hoboing, but still have zero experience. If someone could help me figure out how to get to where I'm going, that'd be rad. Thanks!

bryanpaul

Reaction score
....figure out what company you need to be on......play around on google.... try googling things like "albany ny railfan" albany new york CSX" "albany southbound CN".....watch railfan videos on youtube to get an idea of what certain train's manifests(the order and kinds of cars theyre made up with) are like.....there's a thread on here called "figure it out yourself asshole, becoming independent on the road" that has some tips......
so i googled ny state railmap and here's this https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/op...ssenger-rail-repository/2012 NYS Rail Map.pdf
not very good but it's a start\
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/MAPS/Statewide/parail.pdf
pdf of a pretty good railmap of PA.
i've never ridden north of harrisburgh PA but i can tell you from having talked to others and lookin at my maps that your best bet would be CP (canadian pacific)south to binghampton and then south from there to harrisburgh pa then it's straight west to pitts........... go hang out at the trainyard once a day for a while and just get a feel for shit.....if you play around on google enough youll get all kinds of info....blahh

bryanpaul

Reaction score
put some stuff about you on your "profile"......cuz i aint tryin to encourage no 16 y/o girl to ride trains......

Reactions: ayyyjayyy

drinkwindexx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks, bryanpaul! This is exactly the start I was hoping for. And I was totally expecting that reaction. I am twenty-four, well read, and have a head on my shoulders. I will probably update my profile when I have more time. If anyone else has a solid opinion on this id love to hear it. I'd like all the input I can get.

nameless

Reaction score
go to selkirk! catch a DS train eastbound you'll end up in either NYC or most likely, North Bergen, NJ, from north bergen right behind lowe's is this hill that you walk to the top and you can see for miles out in the horizon, and just below you is 2 tracks, a junk train will take you to philly from there, and from philly you go to FDR(roosevelt) park, kind of across town, and the tracks are right there past the bridges, with a pretty cool waiting spot, you can catch a west bound/southbound to cumberland, MD and from there you can catch another west bound IM to new castle, PA which you can then take a local bus to pittsburgh, that sounds complicated but it will take you no more than a few days if you dont homebum it anywhere

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads