Nederland, CO | Squat the Planet

Nederland, CO

Pixie Walden

Reaction score
By far my favorite place to go when traveling, its about 20min up a mountain from bolder, not far from the hop out in denver. This town is a small very kind mountain town with lots of dank weed and the easiest hitchhiking ive ever experienced. NO SPANGING! (there are alot of travelers coming through hear so plz go down the mountain to bolder to fly a sign!) free camping always someone to meet in the woods. lots of cute shops and cafe's a diner inside an old parked boxcar. Cops are super chill and high all the time plus 1000s of acres of woodland to explore and hike.

K

Kim Chee

Hey guys, "you can come to this cool place I found but you aren't allowed to spange."
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsRI5AKOABZJd1b3b_rN5hnyoFM-XQFaA5FYrvNiL5ugfWEb2xoA.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Unslap

Reaction score
Awesome, just checked it out on google maps. Really considering going there next time I pass through Denver

bryanpaul

Reaction score
mental note taken................. agree with yer "no spangin" sentiment.... people are people everywhere...but i hate being in towns where the people are super cool and nice and having to panhandle 'em.... i like panhandling people i dont think i'd particularly like...or people with shittons of money....sux bein in a little, freindly, everyone-knows-everyone kinda place and tryin to pry the few bux they own outta their hands...........but yeah...thanx for the heads-up

K

Kim Chee

mental note taken................. agree with yer "no spangin" sentiment.... people are people everywhere...but i hate being in towns where the people are super cool and nice and having to panhandle 'em.... i like panhandling people i dont think i'd particularly like...or people with shittons of money....sux bein in a little, freindly, everyone-knows-everyone kinda place and tryin to pry the few bux they own outta their hands...........but yeah...thanx for the heads-up
I'm not sure how broke ass this town is. I just hate hearing about rules before I even get there (I'll be sure to have some cash in pocket before I arrive though, thanks).
I looked at it on Google Earth and it appears there is a residence with three entire tennis courts directly north of the elementary school.

On the brighter side, there is what appears to be a skinny dipping friendly swimming hole a little ways off and a large reservoir close to downtown.:cool:

bryanpaul

Reaction score
On the brighter side, there is what appears to be a skinny dipping friendly swimming hole a little ways off :cool:
snoopin on naked people on google satelite?...shameful!

Pixie Walden

Reaction score
I dont mean to make it sound like a place with a lot of rules cuz it certainly is not and it seemed to me that all the wealthy ppl live more up the mountain. This is deff a place you could be naked most of the time if u so choose lol. The first time I went there one of the local kids who has been camping in the woods there for almost a year came up to me introduced himself and told me about the spanging thing, i told him to fuck off at first cuz we still needed to get food just to get through the night, he asked if i had anything to trade so i gave him some of my craft supplies and he gave me 15$ for dinner and a big bag of weed (my craft supplies were not worth that at all) later that night I got lost trying to find the camping , it got dark so i just started walking towards the only fire i could see when i got to the sight i was greeted by a large group of hippies and a few train riders and lots of dogs. I stayed there for about 2 weeks and one of the women at my site cooked breakfast and dinner every night and normally bought booze (sugar mama!) it was really cool, i ended up taking some of the kids from the site on there first train ride out of grandjunction.

T

tumbleweave

I felt terribly unwelcome in nederland. the locals can smell the "yer not from around here" from a mile away. but, on the flip side, it is a really nice town. I also think, i may have just had bad luck while there. who knows.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Dude I just totally was on a train that sided in Rollinsville, I walked down to the store and got some coffee, a local told me one direction the road went to Ned, I didnt realize til now I was only 5 miles away. Oh well. I knew a chick that grew up there for what that's worth.
In Boulder check out the Celestial Seasonings free factory tour. They have a "menthol room" that will clear out your sinuses great. They gotta keep the mint and spearmint in isolation so as not to 'pollute' the other tea ingredients with the mint flavor.

Reactions: Pixie Walden

Lucius

Reaction score
Website
wanderinglu.tumblr.com
Never been to Nederland but sounds a lot like Crested Butte. Very welcoming remote mountain village in the heart of the Rockies. Don't spange. You can busk but the sheriff wants you to buy a permit and is pretty strict on this, only $15 though and at peak summer season you can make around $50/hour if you put on a nice show. Free food in the summer if you help out in the community garden that me and my traveler friends started. Check out Mountain Oven Bakery and meet my family the Bread Mafia, they will take good care of you if you treat them with love and compassion. I came into town with a pack and they gave me organic fresh out of the oven bread for putting a bit of time in with the dough. I spent many many hours in this bakery. Tell them Sweet Lu sent you. This is a highly spiritually-aware town, and how could you not be with the mountains towering over you. A bit pricey but you can make due. Town has open arms to travelers, the town itself is made up of almost all transients of some form. Free camping in the summer as close as 1/2 mile outside of town, lots of people living in the woods. Good camping up Kebler Pass and Slate River. Great music, awesome venues - check out Eldo and Talk of the Town. Everyone grows their own bud and it's easy to find and kickdowns are common and happen everywhere you go. Sit on the sidewalk with your pack and you'll be taken care of soon enough. This place is rugged, be prepared if you're sleeping outside. Don't take your dog through the ranch on the east side of town that leads to the trails up the mountain, they have the right to shoot and have been known to do so if they catch your dog chasing their cows.

Treat this place right, it's Colorado's best kept secret. Contact me if you head out that way and I'll hook you up as much as I can.

Reactions: Mankini

Pixie Walden

Reaction score
Im heading to neder
Never been to Nederland but sounds a lot like Crested Butte. Very welcoming remote mountain village in the heart of the Rockies. Don't spange. You can busk but the sheriff wants you to buy a permit and is pretty strict on this, only $15 though and at peak summer season you can make around $50/hour if you put on a nice show. Free food in the summer if you help out in the community garden that me and my traveler friends started. Check out Mountain Oven Bakery and meet my family the Bread Mafia, they will take good care of you if you treat them with love and compassion. I came into town with a pack and they gave me organic fresh out of the oven bread for putting a bit of time in with the dough. I spent many many hours in this bakery. Tell them Sweet Lu sent you. This is a highly spiritually-aware town, and how could you not be with the mountains towering over you. A bit pricey but you can make due. Town has open arms to travelers, the town itself is made up of almost all transients of some form. Free camping in the summer as close as 1/2 mile outside of town, lots of people living in the woods. Good camping up Kebler Pass and Slate River. Great music, awesome venues - check out Eldo and Talk of the Town. Everyone grows their own bud and it's easy to find and kickdowns are common and happen everywhere you go. Sit on the sidewalk with your pack and you'll be taken care of soon enough. This place is rugged, be prepared if you're sleeping outside. Don't take your dog through the ranch on the east side of town that leads to the trails up the mountain, they have the right to shoot and have been known to do so if they catch your dog chasing their cows.

Treat this place right, it's Colorado's best kept secret. Contact me if you head out that way and I'll hook you up as much as I can.
im heading that way in a few day, im excited to go, im going just me and the mutt so i hope i run into some cool kids up there

40 Hands

Reaction score
Im in boulder right now thinkin bout goin to ned or fort collins. Havent been to Ft Collins yet so i cant decide.. Where are you? Do i kno you? lol.

Auto

Reaction score
yeah, nederland sounds nice, I've been reading a lot of stuff that says the police are really cracking down on people living in the woods, as well as locals coming and shooting guns/running atvs over their tents to scare them off? Thinking of heading there for the next month or two, but don't want to deal with that, please let us know if this is true when you get there. I'm in fort collins now.

Auto

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm on my way to Nederland, I'm a bit bored here in Fort Collins, I've been living in a park here since mid April, will probably stay there for a month or two then try to head back to Slab City.

40 Hands

Reaction score
Idk i saw a bunch of train kids go and got ran out by the cops for panhandeling, but they were told not to. Other than that camping is great out there, i havent had a problem with any of the locals but it wasnt as easy as i heard to hitch out there. Atleast not the Ned to Ward way we went. Heard Ward is locals only tho. Maybe thats what people were talking about. Rumored theres a bunch of pot gardens in ward so thats why, could be true could be a scam either or thats my 10 cents.

I just got to FoCo lol thats a long time to be in a park here. Ill be around for 8 days. Watch out for boulder its packed with kids. There was like 150 of em in front of the library when i left. Had to fight hard to make a dime. And since thats where i pan handle to have shit for ned i called off my second trip up the mountain.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads