NATO summit (CS-fest 2012) meetup | Squat the Planet

NATO summit (CS-fest 2012) meetup

NM Black Cross Medic

Reaction score
I've seen a shit-ton of posts saying we should have a squat the planet meetup for the NATO party in may. Seeing as no-one else has taken initiative on the matter, I propose the following:

Earlybird meetup (prior to days of action): May 10, 2012 (all fucking day) at the Haymarket memorial (163 N Desplaines St, Chicago, IL) It's a short walk from the greyhound station and an easy bus-ride from downtown. It would also be a great time to "de-bourgeify" it by having a shit-ton of leftists scare off the tourists.

Lazyperson meetup (during days of action, prior to summit): Thursday, the 17th (same fucking time) at Daley Plaza. Daley Plaza is the convergence point for the massive march on the 20th, so It would be a good time to do recon.

If anyone has any better Ideas, please share them.

NM Black Cross Medic

Reaction score
Housing is Available, but Scarce so far. Occupy Chicago doesn't have a whole lot of money, but they are going around to churches and community centers to try to find places for people. Fearless Leader Rahm has made it clear that he won't let us camp. If 100,000 people show up and all want to camp, we'll camp, but the general feeling here is that it would be a waste of our time.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
I'll be in chicago sometime around April 20th, I'll look around and see if i can procure us a decent squat. No promises though.
The reason for it being so early is because there is a week of action starting on the 12th.
Well if that's the case then the 10th would be an excellent idea.

NM Black Cross Medic

Reaction score
Yeah, squats are a good Idea, especially if they're temporary (less time to order an eviction). Just don't publish the one for the summit online. The pigs will evict you really quick if they find out you're protesters.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
If I do find one I'll just PM you guys it. I wouldn't broadcast the location of a squat anyways, (protest or no protest) thats just asking for trouble.

soapybum

Reaction score
Couchsurfing.org might work well for a place to crash. Also if anyone could find any big (commercial, not residential) vacant buildings those would be great for squats...

ericafuckyea

Reaction score
hopefully i can find someone to watch my dog so i can come. alot of shit is happening all at once but im sure i can swing a week. if you find out more about temp. housing keep me in the loop.

skitter

Reaction score
I've been in Chicago since the end of April and the cops are on HIGH alert for anyone that looks remotely undesireable or "punk" or whatever; just got out of jail the other day for trying to sleep in an abandoned building so beeee careful!! A screwdriver that wasn't mine; and a simple multi-tool also are apparently burglary tools, as well. PD here are fucking evil assholes.
i'm trying to GTFO, personally.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
My buddy and I signed up for a bus departing from Boston. All of the NYC buses were full, and it worked out cus we were gonna go up there to see some people anyway. My last day of work is today and we weren't planning on deucing until sometime next week. they want you to agree to go to some march on the 18th, but you could totally bail on that shit. I'm lucky cus my cousin lives out there and she's always down to hang out, so I've at least got a place to stash my shit. I'm just hoping I don't get searched right off the bus. They did that on this one N17 trip I went on to visit OWS. I dunno if Chicago has the same stop-and-frisk laws as NYC, but they'll probably do that shit anyway.

soapybum

Reaction score
Not neccesarily saying I'll be taking part, but thought y'all might find this interesting. http://anarchistnews.org/content/black-hurricane-collective-crash-party-call-action
Also the catholic workers in Chicago might be worth getting ahold of if you need a place to stay. There is also a church (
Trinity Episcopal Church is at 125 E. 26th St) that is letting people camp on thier lawn, its right downtown so its a convienent location. They ask people not to drink and be uber loud while camping there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads