NATO/G8/G20. Chicago. | Squat the Planet

NATO/G8/G20. Chicago.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
Ahhhh, so who's going? Should be some critical fucking action. G8 is also doubling as the kickoff to being houseless until I can't take it anymore.

This is also my sneaky way of seeing if I can hitch a ride with anyone, either from here or part of the way from somewheres else. I'm done with classes on the 12th of May and I'm planning on leaving the same day or very shortly thereafter. I'm hailing from CT and several people I know have expressed fervent interest in going...except almost all of them don't have an open seat or a car at all. I dunno. If anyone can help me/us out, let me know please.

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
i may/may not go. depends on how quickly i move on the road (it'll be my first time traveling alone), but since i'm hitting the road in late march/early april, i should have plenty of time.

anybody have tips on stashing packs during actual protest time? all the new rules chicago has been making for protest in anticipation of nato/g20 means there's a good chance that there will be mass arrests. i don't want my pack to get lost in the shuffle.

Agni Riniari

<(-.-<) ^(-.-)^ (>-.-)> ^(-.-)^ <(-.-<)
Reaction score
Wow. I was a whole two months off of the schedule for when this was all going down. So, now, it is a lot more likely that I will be able to go.

anybody have tips on stashing packs during actual protest time? all the new rules chicago has been making for protest in anticipation of nato/g20 means there's a good chance that there will be mass arrests. i don't want my pack to get lost in the shuffle.

I second this, as well. I have been wondering what the situation and area was going to be like since I heard about it.

- Agni

DavidMD

Reaction score
I believe that the G8 Summit is May 18-20 but Chicago will probably have a bunch of things going on from May Day leading up to the summit. I'll be there.

Basically everyone east of the Mississippi wanting to go should look into Megabus.com. A bus from Nashville to Chicago is $1...$2 roundtrip. Not all cities are direct to Chicago but tickets are cheap either way.

soapybum

Reaction score
I'd say try to find a decent squat there before everyone else starts showing up and stash your stuff there. Or you can try couchsurfing and leave your stuff at your hosts place. All the rad cats from indy are definitely goin.

Zonkers

Reaction score
StP affinity group, anybody?

On the gear issue, me and my pals are arranging storage space near downtown for anyone's pack/bike/canine friend. Anyone needs a space let me know in the run up to may.

I have a feeling about this summit... Definitely wont have the same outcome of DNC '68, to say the least.

Zonkers

Reaction score
And may day begins today.

We all gotta get out there doing outreach networking wheatpasting whatever it takes. If each of us definitely going brought a few more people who wouldn't have come, well numbers are everything in these sorts of things so yeah. Convergence away

soapybum

Reaction score
Idk how early my crew from indy will be there/leave indy but if anyone needs a ride to there from indy hit me up and i'll see what I can do. Ha, we should definitely have a StP convergence there at some point.

dylann

Reaction score
im comming from california so im no help but you could always hop on a train or hitch. craigslist rideshare? im really excited for it though

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
I'm down to meet up with people.

I think I'll be lucky enough to be able to stash my pack at my second cousin's apartment, hopefully. She'll probably insist on a huge family reunion, so shit tons of free italian food ftw.. I'm planning on living on the absolute bare minimum for the duration of my time there. There may or may not be Occupations set up though, I've no clue. I think the Chicago camp lasted like two days or something ridiculous.

And yeh, I'm looking at Mega Bus. It seems like my best shot.

Alaska

Reaction score
Pretty pumped for it. Going to be in Washington in early to mid April, then gonna start heading east. Anticipation is high, I may wee myself.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Squats tend to become too hot for stashing in my experience with these protests, it's better to leave the pack with some low key hosts. Come in early, before the police really start itching for something to do, like scouring the bus/train stations. This will be interesting to see what an obama-style police state will be like and if it'll be worse then his predecessor. Learn street medicking if you have to chance, even if you're not planning on being one, since we have a historically high turnover, and I'm retired after doing it for over ten years.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads