My new shortbus | Squat the Planet

My new shortbus

Mongo

Reaction score
Me and Addie just bought this bus yeseterday

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1&acctid=7239

So far we just have a basic plan of bed in back sink and cooking area at center and a small area up front for a composting toilet. We're also going to be putting on solar panels and deepcycle batteries in. If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.
I'm going to be heading up to Paradise to pick it up and working on it in Chico. I'm going to try and keep this thread updated with pics as the work comes along.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool. Have a friend in another forum who has plans to convert a bus as well. I pointed him over to this section to see some of the stuff you guys have done. :)

Reactions: ByronMc

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Looks pretty cool, and the price is good. What about the engine tho? 300k is generally the upper limit for gas engines.

Mongo

Reaction score
K

Kim Chee

Looks pretty cool, and the price is good. What about the engine tho? 300k is generally the upper limit for gas engines.

That piqued my interest as well. It is diesel.

Mongo, those cold starts can be tough on an engine. Hopefully it was used for longer trips (usually advertised as "freeway miles" for cars). The pics look good and it had gov't maint done. Hopefully it will serve you well.

Mongo

Reaction score
Reactions: Tude
D

Deleted member 2626

Awesome man. Saw one the other day when I was in ky and saw a guy traveling in one busking near it at a Walmart. Wood stove? That's what I'd do. Can usually pick up wood anywhere your at or passing

Mongo

Reaction score
Awesome man. Saw one the other day when I was in ky and saw a guy traveling in one busking near it at a Walmart. Wood stove? That's what I'd do. Can usually pick up wood anywhere your at or passing

I'm probably going with propane. I'm mostly going to be using it to live in Oakland until either A: I save up for a down payment for a house or B: I have a mental breakdown and run off to teach english in Vietnam. Actually i think B is happening eventually no matter what happens.

Last edited:
K

Kim Chee

B: I have a mental breakdown and run off to teach english in Vietnam. Actually i think B is happening eventually no matter what happens.

I'm surprised there isn't more information here about teaching English as a foreign language.

Bus livin'......always gotta house:)

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dude.... that bus has the 7.3 non turbo navistar diesel?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navistar_T444E_engine

Those are suppose to be freaking kick ass brother from another mother hells bells awesome blossom freaking indestructible my bullet proof bride!

Definitely update us on how that powerhouse performs.
(would be good info to know if it lives up to it's reputation at 300k)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
It's diesel

ah. i obviously missed that.

I have a mental breakdown and run off to teach english in Vietnam.

my little brother did that in south korea. supposedly that country pays the highest rates in the world for that job.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Hylyx

Reaction score
Fuck yeah! I'm back in Oakland, would be great to meet up. I love wrenching on stuff, too. :)
Trying to think of anything super rad you could to with the wheelchair lift that would be worth keeping it functional. Seems like there's gotta be something. Collapsible porch?
Definitely keep us posted on how it goes!

Reactions: dprogram

Mongo

Reaction score
The bus runs great they even had a full history on everything that has been done to it. apparently the transmission was rebuilt in 08. Gonna put laminate in a couple weeks from now when I have the funds.

Attachments

• interior bus.jpg
    interior bus.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 290
  • exterior.jpg
    exterior.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: Ready4theWorld

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
awesome man, good pics, keep us updated! what color are you painting it?

Mongo

Reaction score
awesome man, good pics, keep us updated! what color are you painting it?

Just primer white for now, had to make it street legal school bus yellow is illegal here. In Berkeley/Oakland and I'm guessing someone might take liberty to add color to it.

• Haha
Reactions: dprogram

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads