My name's Dustin I'm new! Need traveling ideas and advice!

Reaction score
I'm 17 living in Idaho, I've got all the gear and some money saved up, I want to hop freight trains and hitchhike, I just don't know the ropes and I can't decide on a destination.
HELP PLEASE

Dmac

Reaction score
go someplace warm for the winter. maybe check out California?

Reactions: Mustbenice

Applelatchun

Reaction score
Hey Dustin and welcome to the world of travel! Because of your age and experience level, I'd recommend you try finding a buddy (road dog) that can join in your adventures for awhile. Ideally, someone that has a few miles behind the belt. Finding someone can be tricky and sometimes, more often than not, it just doesn't last long. But it's cool to have someone around to talk to and dream up the dreams with ... not to mention, someone that can have your back. There's a section here for road dogs seeking road dogs that I'd suggest you having a look at. Maybe you'll find someone, maybe not. And if it's just not for you, cool. Understandable. As far as having a destination, ... why not try as far away from the Pacific Northwest as possible at first? The southeastern portion of the US has warmer weather this time of year and there are a lot of states to look at during your itinerary to get there. When I first starting hitchhiking, I had a destination but never made it. A childhood friend that I grew up with moved off from Kentucky. Went to Reno Nevada with a girl he met here at a local festival. I fancied the idea of going out to see him a few days and just keep moving on thereafter, however, I ended up bypassing Nevada via Salt Lake City where I met a woman that turned me on to a gig in Seattle. To this day, I have been all over the country and still haven't seen my old friend. That may change this new year coming. Anyhow, it's good in a couple ways to have a specific destination. It's a way to get rides and also a tune to sing when the cops ever ask you "Where Ya Headed?" At that point, saying "I don't know" ... or "Wherever the wind blows" could solicit a quick pat down. Try following the gatherings and festivals as best you can. I think maybe there is one in Florida coming up in February, I'm not sure, heard a guy earlier in the chat room mention it. These events can always provide you with a "destination" even if you never make it. The wind could have blown you somewhere else, right? In all my experience as a traveler by thumb, I've been sidetracked somewhere else 90% of the time. That, to me, was always the adventure anyway. Meeting people along the way that somehow changed my plans/destination. Lastly, I myself have never hopped a train. Always wanted to, but never have. It is something I look forward to but know it is risky. There is some info here on this site about train scheduling (downloads, I believe) that I'd suggest you make a short resource out of. This in my opinion is something that I would seek a road dog for or another Hobo to go along with the first time to test the waters. Just be careful out there bro and come back here often to read and fellowship with. This is an excellent site for people like us! Cheers!

Reactions: Tude
Reaction score
It's funny how plans seem to dissolve and we just go with the flow huh? There's someone I trust who is traveling right now but sadly he is on the other side of the country. I still have plenty of time I'll check out the road dog thread thanks for the help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 8978

So far, the warmest appears to be Tampa and Miami down in FL, but it's a long way. Check around Wenatchee, WA and you might find a train that may either stop there and sideline or stop there for a swift CC.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads