1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Video My Minimalist Travel Gear Set Up

Discussion in 'General Gear Discussion' started by HippieGangster, Apr 17, 2017.

1. HippieGangster

HippieGangster Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Adrenaline Junkie
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +246 / -0
    My tried-and-true minimalist backpacking travel gear, essentials to bring when traveling, back-country hiking, and hitchhiking the World.
    This gear has taken me over 23,000 Miles hitchhiking, and countless miles through the back-country. I hope this helps.
    Check out my channel @https://www.youtube.com/c/traveltoinspire for more travel videos & advice

• Like Like x 17
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY Celebrated Poster
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Aged, Sage-like Enginerd
    City:
    Elmira
    State:
    NY
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +81 / -0
    Very cool and well thought out. Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 2
  3. OutsideYourWorld

OutsideYourWorld Celebrated Poster

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Forestry (tree planting mostly), other hobo stuff
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +240 / -0
    Nice video. i do the hammock/tarp thing as well, as it's a lot more versatile. It DOES start to suck a little if you're in an area without trees or objects you can strip your tarp from. Especially when it's windy/rainy. You're the first i've seen that carries an axe for hitchhiking/hiking trips. I just carry a heavy duty army knife instead as it's easier to pack and does the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Shwhiskey Gumimaci Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Traveler
    City:
    San Diego
    State:
    CA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +369 / -1
    I like your selection. Although I don't have enough technology to need the solar panels personally. I'm the type of person where I could never have too many knives or socks. What do you do about pack food? Do you get it as you go, or do you stock up before you go?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OutsideYourWorld

OutsideYourWorld Celebrated Poster

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Forestry (tree planting mostly), other hobo stuff
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +240 / -0
    Knives and socks :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. zim

zim Reality Perception Device
    Staff Member Admin

Achievements:
    City:
    College Park
    State:
    MD
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +536 / -0
    Great video and very well made.

I wish I didn't have back problems and could consider this minimalist :p If I have more than my sleep system and less than 5lbs in extra stuff my back is killing me within 20 miles of walking.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HippieGangster

Achievements:
    Adrenaline Junkie
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +246 / -0
    As a photographer/filmer I never have enough power, ha. I used to bring a large bowie knife but switched it for the axe, chopping wood is my favorite thing at camp. But I'm also more the hitcher that goes straight to National Parks, so I use it often.
    Food I stock as I go, or right before a back-country hike I get everything I need for however long I'm in the woods. I might do videos on my favorite pack recipes in the future

• Like Like x 1
  8. DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY Celebrated Poster
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Aged, Sage-like Enginerd
    City:
    Elmira
    State:
    NY
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +81 / -0
    I have started carrying a folding saw when wandering. I can cut things to size, although you have to deal with not being able to split bigger pieces. For more permanent camps, I have been considering doing the Siberian log fire or some variation of that.
    A good knife will help make kindling, but I would think carefully before batoning anything over an inch or two. I like the small hatchet/axe though, that would be light enough to carry along with a decent saw, even if you made the buck frame on site so you only carry the blade with you.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Shwhiskey Gumimaci Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Traveler
    City:
    San Diego
    State:
    CA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +369 / -1
    While I'm hitching pack food is important to me. Although I have a small pack (I'm short with back problems so it's the best fit for me) so I don't usually have room for very much especially because I gotta carry cat food around for my furr babe. I like potted meat/tuna, beans and crackers. The only issue with tuna is my cat likes it too haha. Got to fight him for it sometimes. What do you normally carry for food?

• Like Like x 1
  10. crow

crow Celebrated Poster

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    honest methods, spange, art
    Ratings:
    +101 / -0
    Love it! i tend to carry more socks than anything because..boots. But I found a jungle hammock for 20$ and it does beat a tent in weight and efficiency. Tents cause moisture buildup in hot climates and will mildew. I agree about cooking.. unless you're in urban areas, constant fuel upkeep is a pain. I fashioned an old Folgers can and stovetop burner into a nifty, lightweight cooker.
    I use the same size tarp in camo.
    Your setup is perfect. thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dragononn

Dragononn Celebrated Poster
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Not having a job
    City:
    Cornville
    State:
    AZ
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +192 / -9
    What kinda container you haul for water? I don't believe I saw anything featured regarding h20

12. HippieGangster

Achievements:
    Adrenaline Junkie
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +246 / -0
    Shwhiskey Gumimaci I usually pack a TON of sardines, oatmeal, peanut butter. Also fresh veggies too I love munching on raw beets, peppers, cucumbers with a bit of salt. The usual. If I'm in the backcountry its going to be typical ramen/other dry foods. One of my favorite things to make are fish tacos. Flour tortillas, spread some hummus, chop up sweet peppers (yum!!), avocado if i got it, and throw sardines on it...or summer sausage if i have it. Its delic!

Dragononn I always reuse smart water bottles. I love how slender they are, they pack real well on the side pockets of my pack. Depending the climate I also carry a gallon jug in my hand. It reminds me to stay hydrated. Definately came in handy (no pun intended) on the lonely hwy in Nevada

• Like Like x 4