my first wilderness shelter (1 Viewer)

D

deleted17310

I deleted myself
Hey so I threw this up on night when the temp was gonna be about 20 degrees. I slept comfy and had fun making it also had a full sheet bark door not pictured
20180408_153447-jpg.42360
20180408_153409-jpg.42361
20180408_153523-jpg.42362

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Website
www.youtube.com
Awesome... looks like something I built once at a week long outdoor wilderness trip as a you'th. :)

You know, just a question that crossed my mind, if a person is camping in an enclosed earth/based shelter like the one shown or otherwise... are you less likely to be bothered by large predators like bears or wolves?

I mean does dirt leaves and mud conceal you better... maybe by scent??

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
don't conceal.
warn.

1) the scent of burning, without food.
2) gasoline.
3) gunpowder (or ground up fireworks)
4) habenero or other cheap capsicum intense dispersates around your site.
5) burnt heavy mechanical (not food or hdpe food plastic!!!) petroleum based products.

gunpowder may be best.
my 0.02

ordered as per common sense & availability.

OP
D

deleted17310

I deleted myself
Awesome... looks like something I built once at a week long outdoor wilderness trip as a you'th. :)

You know, just a question that crossed my mind, if a person is camping in an enclosed earth/based shelter like the one shown or otherwise... are you less likely to be bothered by large predators like bears or wolves?

I mean does dirt leaves and mud conceal you better... maybe by scent??
I don't think I was in danger of large predators this was on Penn state land so I think the woods are frequently walked but not a place where animals would find campers with food to raid

Drengor

Pilgrim
Great job! What's the thought process behind doing something like this over bringing a lightweight tarp and some rope to get a quick solid shelter that you can later bolster with those same natural materials? I'm keen on making multiple shelters around

OP
D

deleted17310

I deleted myself
What did you use to keep warm at night? Did you have a blanket or just the clothes on your back?
sleeping bag I had my sleeping bag and bivy Sack but I just got tired of waiting up with fucking frost on me and having to dry all that shit out so I put up the shelter and I'd like to make a note that it got down to 25 degrees overnight and a water bottle I had outside iced up a little bit but The Jug I had in the shelter with me did not

OP
D

deleted17310

I deleted myself
Great job! What's the thought process behind doing something like this over bringing a lightweight tarp and some rope to get a quick solid shelter that you can later bolster with those same natural materials? I'm keen on making multiple shelters around
I had lost my I had lost my trusty tarp in Columbus Ohio so I didn't have one to throw the leaves over my guess would be that using a tarp with the added insulation of the leaves would be the way to go and probably help keep the bugs down although it might hold in the moisture from your breath and body more with just the leaves I was not a bit damp in there

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Childgoddess What is the easiest wilderness bush shelter or shelter to make outside? Wilderness Living 18
Childgoddess Is it possible to survive in a winter wilderness shelter in -21 weather? Wilderness Living 19
Matt Derrick Resources for Wilderness Survival Wilderness Living 0
beginnavagabond Living alone in wilderness but nearby civilisation Wilderness Living 7
Hillbilly Castro Building a Stealth Squat on Wilderness Land Wilderness Living 21
black questions about surviving in the Puget Sound wilderness (food availibility, weather, community) Wilderness Living 11
Gregory Leaving for the Wilderness, living off of nature Introductions 3
HippieGangster Gun or no gun in Alaskan Wilderness? Weapons & Tools 16
salxtina Wilderness Responder/Search and Rescue experience? Wilderness Living 4
Tomahawk Survival/ wilderness skills Book Wilderness Living 0
RobHASboots Photos Share your wilderness camp pics, won't you? Wilderness Living 38
Matt Derrick News & Blogs This man built a tiny home in the pacific-northwest wilderness for under $500 Alternative Housing 13
Mikael Runefoot Couch Surfing to Wilderness Squatting Introductions 1
D Wilderness Gardening Wilderness Living 12
D Wilderness Extended Wilderness Living 22
N Anyone down to go into the deep wilderness? Wilderness Living 5
DoctorApocalypse Library Bushcraft: The Ultimate Guide to Survival in the Wilderness Wilderness Living 4
Billy The Kid Wilderness squatter Introductions 10
C Wilderness Nomads Wilderness Living 19
Prometheus Cascadian tribal nomads/wilderness squatters moving back to Ashland, OR Wilderness Living 2
ProletarianGuerilla Anarcho Primitivist Wilderness Commune Wilderness Living 72
X Wilderness squatting, Olympia WA Wilderness Living 9
Jeromy Knight Heading into the S. OR/N. Cal wilderness for 12 months looking for a couple ppl to join me Wilderness Living 6
D Putting together a wilderness survival tribe Wilderness Living 16
bryanpaul Good youtube channel for wilderness surv. skills Wilderness Living 8
Matt Derrick [Jul 6, 2011] 2011 Earth First Rendezvous, July 5th-12th Mon(Ida)tana(ho) Wilderness (Lolo, Montana) Events / Gatherings / Festivals 4
thapoet Looking for small wilderness group.... Wilderness Living 41
Nelco Survival Wisdom & Know How: Everything You Need to Know to Thrive in the Wilderness Wilderness Living 5
SDBoojum wilderness packing supplies, what do you think? Wilderness Living 15
gregk new wilderness squatter? Introductions 3
CdCase123 Eastern USA wilderness General Banter 1
finn Featured Wilderness Squatting 101 Wilderness Living 5
L wilderness squatting NSW AUSTRALIA Squatting 7
Windwalker Craigslist, Homeless Shelters and below freezing temps Travel Stories 9
anynameyouwish cheap and light temporary shelter Alternative Housing 12
Pdog Downtown seattle food banks/homeless shelters Money, Work & Food 6
NapalmBreath Ever been forced into a shelter? General Banter 4
Meleoron Wake Up Music Warming Shelter General Banter 3
D Photos Seeking Sheltered Parking During Rainstorm Introductions 3
A Good Winter Shelters Alternative Housing 10
CoNiGMa Video Shelter building with natural materials Wilderness Living 0
Fungus These miniature storm shelters are legit Alternative Housing 9
todd Library Tarp Shelters - An Introduction Alternative Housing 2
nivoldoog My favorite shelter material. Alternative Housing 5
Guy Chouinard Shelter Options Slab City? Squatting 27
Matt Derrick Video DIY Tarp Shelter | Desert Camping Portable Shelters 3
PAN AM HOBO Shelters found along rail lines Train Hopping 23
PAN AM HOBO Photos shelter found while hoboin Train Hopping 3
creature News & Blogs once in a while something really good happens... kids reading to shelter dogs General Banter 2
MrSirLanceAlot Bushcraft Shelter? Alternative Housing 0