recently homeless | Squat the Planet

recently homeless

W

wolf angel

Cheers, names phil. I've been on the streets for a couple of weeks now in Fresno California. I was with a partner but she had decides to do her own thing sort of with out any warning so now I'm not really sure what I'm going to do so I thought I could meet some people on here who are passing through the area or looking for road dogs.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@wolf angel - hey no abuse is good from anyone. Good luck on finding where you are going and hopefully you can connect to someone here who has logged on and seen someone (you) in the area and then your journey gets going! Welcome aboard.

Reactions: eske silver

chriscarter

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you tude!
here's what i would do?
1. call any family or friends you still have and see if they'll let you stay with them for a little while until you get things back together.
2. put in an online application for ebt immediately. tell them that you're homeless and have no money. they'll give you a ebt/ food card for like $150 per month.
https://www.mybenefitscalwin.org/mbp/create/county.htm?lang=en_US
if you need food, find out where the food banks are near you or find out where the nearest calfresh office is and they might give you an ebt card the same day.
3. if you have any credit, apply online for some credit cards right away. you're going to need them.
4. look for a weekly motel room like $100 or $150 per week. Some motels will let you stay for free if you say you clean rooms.
Or find a roommate on craigslist.org that you can share a place with.
5. take a job right away anywhere will help you keep yourself together. it's a little easier when you're working with other people and you don't feel like you're always alone. apply for any work part time or full time will help keep you together like a warehouse or a cleaning job or a fast food restaurant job. most fast food places will let you eat all that want. or, maybe try a manpower or labor ready temporary work agency.
6. fill out the student loan application on the fafsa.gov website. then, sign up for some classes at one of the less expensive state colleges or community colleges. you will have to apply to a school and register for classes. you tell them that you want the maximum loan and they will send you a rebate check to live off of while you're in school. you can stay on a student loan for more than 6 years if you follow the rules correctly. they won't send it right away, this may take you up to 4 weeks to get a check back.
7. if you need stuff like clothes, you can order stuff through an easy credit online catalog like amerimark, fingerhut, or ginnys. they give credit to almost anyone.
8. if you have an old checkbook, see if you can write some checks in some stores for the stuff you need. bounce a few checks if you have to and load up on some stuff. most stores will let you bounce 2 or 3 checks before they say no more.
9. if you were working before, you might be able to file for california unemployment.
10. find an empty house that looks safe.
this website sells inspector keys. they can get into 50% of the houses.
http://www.mfssupply.com/Inspector-Key-Packet
11. this dude told me about sneaking into office buildings and looking for an empty office to sleep in.
12 buy some bolt cutters and a hammer. find a house for sale with a key safe. cut the key safe off with the bolt cutters and break open the key safe with the hammer while no one is watching. it's risky but i would try it rather than sleep outside. the bolt cutters can also be used to cut bike chains if you need to steal a bike for transportation.
13. take a job with a hotel as a desk clerk or as housekeepiing and they might let you sleep in one of the rooms.
good luck

Last edited:
W

wolf angel

No friends or family. Have ebt. Really bad credit. Can't get back into school.

I just need to get through a few months so I can live in Texas.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
here's what i would do?
1. call any family or friends you still have and see if they'll let you stay with them for a little while until you get things back together.
2. put in an online application for ebt immediately. tell them that you're homeless and have no money. they'll give you a ebt/ food card for like $150 per month.
https://www.mybenefitscalwin.org/mbp/create/county.htm?lang=en_US
if you need food, find out where the food banks are near you or find out where the nearest calfresh office is and they might give you an ebt card the same day.
3. if you have any credit, apply online for some credit cards right away. you're going to need them.
4. look for a weekly motel room like $100 or $150 per week. Some motels will let you stay for free if you say you clean rooms.
Or find a roommate on craigslist.org that you can share a place with.
5. take a job right away anywhere will help you keep yourself together. it's a little easier when you're working with other people and you don't feel like you're always alone. apply for any work part time or full time will help keep you together like a warehouse or a cleaning job or a fast food restaurant job. most fast food places will let you eat all that want. or, maybe try a manpower or labor ready temporary work agency.
6. fill out the student loan application on the fafsa.gov website. then, sign up for some classes at one of the less expensive state colleges or community colleges. you will have to apply to a school and register for classes. you tell them that you want the maximum loan and they will send you a rebate check to live off of while you're in school. you can stay on a student loan for more than 6 years if you follow the rules correctly. they won't send it right away, this may take you up to 4 weeks to get a check back.
7. if you need stuff like clothes, you can order stuff through an easy credit online catalog like amerimark, fingerhut, or ginnys. they give credit to almost anyone.
8. if you have an old checkbook, see if you can write some checks in some stores for the stuff you need. bounce a few checks if you have to and load up on some stuff. most stores will let you bounce 2 or 3 checks before they say no more.
9. if you were working before, you might be able to file for california unemployment.
10. find an empty house that looks safe.
this website sells inspector keys. they can get into 50% of the houses.
http://www.mfssupply.com/Inspector-Key-Packet
11. this dude told me about sneaking into office buildings and looking for an empty office to sleep in.
12 buy some bolt cutters and a hammer. find a house for sale with a key safe. cut the key safe off with the bolt cutters and break open the key safe with the hammer while no one is watching. it's risky but i would try it rather than sleep outside. the bolt cutters can also be used to cut bike chains if you need to steal a bike for transportation.
13. take a job with a hotel as a desk clerk or as housekeepiing and they might let you sleep in one of the rooms.
good luck

@wolf angel , don't listen to anything @chriscarter says. his advice on this board has been so consistently bad that i'm banning him after i make this post. his advice reeks of either a troll, or someone that's never really been homeless before.

good luck with the job, and if it doesn't work out, come back and we'll do our best to get you going in the right direction.

W

wolf angel

I found a place since posting this. I'm about to lose it though so I'll probably be trying to travel back to the Venice or Vegas area again soon if not north. It just depends on where my people go and what my options are.

Being homeless and stranded here sucked, not so much elsewhere. I've got all the basics down this place just isn't safe, not even in a house Lol

Lots of junk and lots of violence.

J

Jinxx

I found a place since posting this. I'm about to lose it though so I'll probably be trying to travel back to the Venice or Vegas area again soon if not north. It just depends on where my people go and what my options are.

Being homeless and stranded here sucked, not so much elsewhere. I've got all the basics down this place just isn't safe, not even in a house Lol

Lots of junk and lots of violence.

Well I'm glad you have a place to stay. Hoping you will find a way outta there soon. Take care!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads