Mushrooms - Magic and otherwise

Reaction score
I don't know much about them. I just take a homies word that they're okay. If I go into the wilderness I need to know which ones are safe to eat, which take on magical journeys, and which ones kill me.

I took a quick glance at the forums but didn't find what I was looking for. I might just be blind but maybe a new thread is good?

Reactions: RoadFlower33
D

Deleted member 23824

I don't know much about them. I just take a homies word that they're okay. If I go into the wilderness I need to know which ones are safe to eat, which take on magical journeys, and which ones kill me.

I took a quick glance at the forums but didn't find what I was looking for. I might just be blind but maybe a new thread is good?
Are you able to take a class at a local Jr. College? I would really not dream of putting my life or health at risk by learning about edible mushrooms from this, or any other website. I’ll bet Matt would hesitate to take on that liability, too. I can identify a morrell , that’s about it.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Haha yeah mushrooms edible poisonous magical identifying foraging there are hundreds upon thousands of species there are millions of species of mushrooms and the humidity in the air can change the kind of f****** thing that grows into and it could be perfectly clean psilocybin cubensis and tell a dirty West Wind hits it and then it's not a clean psilocybin cubensis rather a gut-wrenching foggy nightmare psilocybin cubensis and you want to puke your brains out when you eat them. same thing with a pretty much every mushroom people go to school for years and I still don't understand mushrooms fully.
PS sorry about the mumbo-jumbo text I'm talking to text

D

Deleted member 125

Don't eat wild mushrooms. There's like...I dunno a few that are common and edible that won't get you sick. It's not worth it unless yer someone who really knows what's what.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Actually I'm just a really big mushroom enthusiastsand and I I use talk to text when I'm lazy. Like above and now I would say more but I'm tired

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Be very, very certain what mushrooms you're eating or it won't turn into the magical carpet ride that you're expecting.
I did shrooms for the first time last Halloween candy it was an amazing experience. I've done a few since and every time has been great. Micro dosing.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I have so much to say on this it's annoying. They are such a great medicine and Tool and there so often misused and misperceived. There's such a strong stigmatism around them.... aaaaaah! Seriously look up Paul Stamets oh and the Joe Rogan experience, #1035 on YouTube as well!!!

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Don't eat wild mushrooms. There's like...I dunno a few that are common and edible that won't get you sick. It's not worth it unless yer someone who really knows what's what.
There are actually hundreds of species that are seriously very edible. Some you cannot even eat bc they are like wood, but you canput them in stews and teas. There are mushrooms that can be turned into felt like material and mushrooms that can be used as fire starters and Ember keepers.... as a matter of fact humans are more mushroom than anything........🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I just got into foraging for mushrooms and I stick to the ones that are easily identified or that I know have no deadly lookalikes if I'm gonna ingest them. Chanterelle, Morel, Coral, Lobster, etc. Sometimes, the best indicator of what species a mushroom can be is by taking a spore print.

Also, one good piece of advice I got when eating a new mushroom for the first time (that you have 100% absolutely positively identified as being safe of course) is that you should only eat a little bit of it the first time. Reason being, you don't want to eat a whole lot of a mushroom before seeing if it will agree with your stomach. Some people get gastrointestinal discomfort i.e. mushroom allergy

D

Deleted member 125

I have so much to say on this it's annoying. They are such a great medicine and Tool and there so often misused and misperceived. There's such a strong stigmatism around them.... aaaaaah! Seriously look up Paul Stamets oh and the Joe Rogan experience, #1035 on YouTube as well!!!

It's entirely possible that citing joe rogans podcast could maybe be detrimental to people thinking positive stuff about mushrooms. Let's be honest, he's a comedian who will host nearly anyone on his show and let them ramble on until he can't try to stay objective anymore.

Reaction score
San Francisco Bay area - Norcal - Caifornia
T

Try growing your own if you can’t find someone who’s really good to go with you.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
At least if you grow your own you have to learn enough about them to know somthing about what kind of endeavor finding an edible mushroom can be.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
@SlankyLanky okay, your totally right. Honestly I dont watch his show. I only was refranced to this pod by a randome guy I met. Paul stamets just happens to be one of the world's leading mycoligest.

D

Deleted member 125

@SlankyLanky okay, your totally right. Honestly I dont watch his show. I only was refranced to this pod by a randome guy I met. Paul stamets just happens to be one of the world's leading mycoligest.

Uh...maybe don't randomly plug people's podcasts because they have one episode with a dude who likes mushrooms. Not to derail ops thread but tbh for real joe rogan has people on his show to just talk. Literally about anything and is kinda known for talking to guests in a way that maybe, just maybe doesn't offer a objective perspective on the topic.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
So for one, I don't know what you mean by plug... I did watch the podcast that I'm talking about it's an amazing eye opener wealth of information in one spot with a lot of valid information he sites legitimate research... so don't get on here and f****** start bagging on me before you listen to the podcast or do your own research it's legitimate s*** whether he's a comedian or not it gives perspective you don't have to believe it you don't have to f****** take it all for gold it's his opinion and science don't f****** get on here and bag on me bro f****** look it up do the research yourself do some f****** reading maybe. It's Kind of a Funny Thing how Society works we use humor 10 lighten a serious subject and humor allows people to listen to it in a less personal way.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
We haven't really ever disagreed as far as I recall, @SlankyLanky but I feel like @BirdDaddy was absolutely doing right by mentioning that podcast. Paul Staments discussing mushrooms is like Jimi Hendrix talkin guitar or Ian MacKaye talkin punk music history. Paul knows his shit and that particular podcast is great. He's not just some random wingnut by any stretch. I love you, don't be mad that I'm disagreeing. I definitely think he was in the right to bring that up though. I was goin to mention it in my reply as I was reading this post and then got to the point where he already mentioned it so I didn't need to. I don't think there's any podcast that's 100% without flaw or with an occasional guest that discredits the show but that shouldn't mean we can't ever suggest podcasts to one another. I feel like both of you could take it down a notch, smoke a bowl and come back to this. <3

• Love It
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 125

@Engineer J Lupo oh I'm totally down haha.

@BirdDaddy I didn't realise I was bagging on you. It's the second time you have cited the podcast when talking about mushrooms and you just admitted to not fully knowing what it was about. But guess yer fucking right, I outta do my own fucking research and do some of my own fucking reading.

Dameon

Reaction score
You want to go mushroom hunting with somebody who knows what they're doing and is familiar with the mushrooms of the area you're in. The reason for this is that there can be "look-alike" species of mushrooms that are poisonous and strongly resemble an edible or magical mushroom. It may be a difference as small as how the gills attach to the stem. It's even possible to find the poisonous ones growing in a patch of edible ones. Not terrifying enough? It could be days before you discover you've eaten a poisonous mushroom by suddenly dropping dead.

Erowid's got a good comprehensive list of resources for people looking to get into amateur mycology: Erowid Mushroom Vault : Mycology - https://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_mycology.shtml

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads