Moving in my van | Squat the Planet

Moving in my van

Christian Nomad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It's official, I'm done being pennyless!
I told my apartment that I'm not renewing my lease.
I'm moving into the van Sept 30th. The Michigan winter should prove interesting.
Anyone have tips on keeping warm? I've slept in the van before while traveling. I've experienced 40 degrees and was perfectly warm. Below that will be a new experience.

Dmac

Reaction score
I would avoid the winter in Michigan and head out to the SouthWest and camp on BLM land for the winter. Or maybe go check out the Jamboree? Have a great time whatever you do!

PatchTwist

Reaction score
Another Michigander! 'Ello!
I second what Dmac said about heading south if able. But if you do stay up here for the winter: wear layers, get yourself one of those super cold weather sleeping bags, a little space heater, and definitely a CO2 sensor. And Pinterest has all kinds of tips and tricks as well. Treat it like camping in winter, basically. Another thing to keep in mind is condensation build up inside tour van.

I was going to move into mine this fall as well, but due to circumstances it will actually be late winter/early spring.

Carlvanguyrios

Reaction score
This is my van setup for winter livin back home in the midwest. I've since moved to florida and hardly use this stuff. But I could comfortably survive anywhere cold with this simple setup in the future.

The red thing next to the blue water jug is a mr. buddy heater. They are super popular and easy to find. The black thing is a camp stove wire twisted onto a table that is part wire.

You'll also notice I have 2 propane tanks. This is important because it saves a lot of money in the long run by being able to completely empty a tank before buying a replacement. It also is more convenient at 3 am after a long night of drinking when you want eggs.. Equally as important is the carbon monoxide/ smoke detector. You need these two things if you have propane.

Congrats on your van life adventures! It is an incredibly fun way to live. I hope everything goes great for you up there.

Attachments

• 20170802_182102.jpg
    20170802_182102.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 183
  • 20170802_182020.jpg
    20170802_182020.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 181
  • vanfront.jpg
    vanfront.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Sad
Reactions: Testicool and Dmac

Carlvanguyrios

Reaction score
dude if you get one of these mr. buddy heaters and propane + cover your windows with reflectix, you end up having to pop windows open so you don't get hot. You'll be warm no matter what. This is definitely something I wish I would have known when I was first moving into my van in February in MN..

Once I figured it everything out, life was awesome. I was paying like 15 per tank at the cheapest tank exchange and they lasted about 2 to 3 days of constant heat running in the van. When it's not super cold and you don't have to run it a lot, 1 tank can last a week or longer. I kinda miss van living in the cold actually... It was literally a blast. Went out all the time and got hammered literally wherever. Spent like nothing. Survived off mainly oatmeal and eggs since you don't have to refrigerate them and they're tasty. The water jug just about anyone will let you fill up at their place or business if you ask nicely.

K8lh

Reaction score
I lived in a camper threw the winter in Indiana. No heat besides space heaters and that didn't help much. Best thing to do is get a heating blanket ! You could get a one of those things that allows u to plug stuff into ur van. A converter of some sort. Make sure u have a great battery. Maybe even invest in a solar panel. Good luck !

Christian Nomad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Another Michigander! 'Ello!
I second what Dmac said about heading south if able. But if you do stay up here for the winter: wear layers, get yourself one of those super cold weather sleeping bags, a little space heater, and definitely a CO2 sensor. And Pinterest has all kinds of tips and tricks as well. Treat it like camping in winter, basically. Another thing to keep in mind is condensation build up inside tour van.

I was going to move into mine this fall as well, but due to circumstances it will actually be late winter/early spring.
Thank you PatchTwist!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads