Moped the planet... lol | Squat the Planet

Moped the planet... lol

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Is this idea even possable... I know they get bomb gas milage... but the distance between places would make travel very hard/difficalt/obsurd?

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
it is possible. a friend of mine rode hers from Oil City out to Idaho and back. did a tour of hot springs on the way. Just learn how to work on them, get a few basic tools, and you're set.

And if you know someone who's quite mechanically inclined you can tweek the shit out of them. Most of the 50cc one's have enough block material to be bored out to almost double the size. which basically means you can make the little bastards do 70! Just don't get caught by the cops going that fast or they will ticket you/maybe impound the bike, since the under 50cc thing is why you don't need a license ( in most states, anyway).

M

Mouse

it is possible. a friend of mine rode hers from Oil City out to Idaho and back. did a tour of hot springs on the way. Just learn how to work on them, get a few basic tools, and you're set.

And if you know someone who's quite mechanically inclined you can tweek the shit out of them. Most of the 50cc one's have enough block material to be bored out to almost double the size. which basically means you can make the little bastards do 70! Just don't get caught by the cops going that fast or they will ticket you/maybe impound the bike, since the under 50cc thing is why you don't need a license ( in most states, anyway).

I really want to know how to make mine go faster. it's all well and good doing 35 but sometimes you're running late.

M

Mouse

hell yes! that's my scoot! now I'm thinking I should just moped to richmond for best friends day. too bad I'm on time contraints or I would. work ruins everything.

plus I need to get new tires and change my brakes before I try to do anything like that.

instructables has EVRYTHING. I spent 4 hours yesterday exploring tha tsite and just kept fining more and more fun things to do and make.

blacklines

Reaction score
I met a couple guys who were doing the Al-Can on mopeds last time I was up that way (this was somewhere south of Liard) They both were carrying LOTS of spare parts and one of them had already done a mostly complete rebuild on his engine... So it is possible, just involves some know-how and logistical planning

M

Mouse

yeah I suck with that type of stuff.

I've been looking online for cool things to trick out my Ruckus with but so far i just want new tires lol

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Eh..I'll stick with the trains and the thumb. This shiznit sounds too complicated for me

flashinglights

Reaction score
Another good motivational text is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Really though, you do need to keep your ride in good order. People die on malfunctioning rides.

wartomods

Reaction score
i?ve read somewhere in the internet a guy that made a trip from australia to uk in a moped, it had a long personal journal with photos, i will try to dig that up and post

hartage

Reaction score
Just put in the time and effort to get a motorcycle license. They're much more durable and you can keep up (at least) with traffic on the highways. But I have read on the net of people that moped just about everywhere. Hey, if you do it post your progress here. I'd love to follow your moped travels.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Check out the book"One Man Caravan",by Robert Fulton.he made the best West-East RTW trip ever,back in the early '30s,on a 350 Douglas.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
You can get bicycle motors online for about 120 bucks.. I'm pretty sure there 50cc some are 70 or 80 even and they dont look to hard to mount...

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Beware the clip-on bike motor!Have had to rebuid a dozen this summer(when I could find the parts for the poor orphan things),and can say that unless you can practicallly carry a spare motor,somewhere out there the heartless bitch shall leave you wondering how far it is to the next bus stop!

M

Mouse

I don't even know why people say motorcycles are better. It's just not the same deal. It depends on what you are look for.

Up here in Québec, they cost way too fucking much, 1400$ for the plate, 3000$ for insurance, cost too much in gaz (vs a scooter), and guess what the bike itself is more expensive.

Mouse: I just bought myself a honda ruckus too! Brand new 2009, all black. I'm going to get it tonight. Can't fucking wait to do some light trails.

cheers to that! motorcycles are a major luxury.

bravo on getting a Ruckus. you wont regret it. Mines old, been beaten by others before i got it, and it still spins like a top. I use the thing daily as my only transport. the only trouble i've had to far was a clogged airfilter and i needed a new back tire.

hartage

Reaction score
I don't even know why people say motorcycles are better. It's just not the same deal. It depends on what you are look for.

I said what I did about motorcycles because to see the world you need long distance endurance. I read a guy that took a moped up the alcan then up to prudhoe bay. He needed an engine rebuild when he got to alaska. He was forced to pull a trailer with spare tires, and other moped parts behind him. Just to make it to where he was going. That was just to AK. Imagine going around the world on a moped ? Because of engine size moped motors are going full tilt most of the time and they don't last long. For long distance travel a regular motorcycle would be much more practical even with the higher costs involved. Both from an endurance/dependability standpoint and a speed standpoint. Some states like here in cali if your moped goes faster than 15mph you need a motorcycle license and insurance. I'd hate to cover long distances forced to go under 15mph.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads