Announcement Monetizing Squat the Planet (1 Viewer)

Would you spend money on this support system?

• Yes! I'd love to shove a burrito in your face ($10/mo)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
thats quite a lot, why dont You charge 10 dollars/year to stay a member? That would give You 130 000 dollars/year if everyone payed. That should be enough I think.
well, as i've stated in the OP I don't want to put up a paywall or anything like that, this info should be free to anyone regardless of their income.

I will start to support You now by buying a bandana and the book, do You ship to sweden?
i shipped out a bandana to sweden last week, was that you? i definitely ship overseas.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Regarding incentives, I'm not interested in stickers or postcards -
yeah, i think that's how most people feel. i'm thinking about bringing back the donation bar, and maybe having 'milestones'? basically where we raise the money to pay the bills ($50) and then anything beyond that can go into my burrito fund, and it would be represented with a progress bar and different colors depending on where we are at.

if i did that, i'd toss the tiers idea and just have one supporter level and just sell stickers/patches online as per usual.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
well, i put the donation widgets back up and used the tiered system i was just describing. if someone could give some input on whether that's better or not id sure appreciate it :)

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
I suppose 'milestones' might appeal to those who're so inclined
- any excuse to use my favorite contraction...
Joking aside, I for one appreciate your forthrightness on this prime existential issue.
I used to be the membership chair for the local palm society - a non-profit plant club; members were charged $45 a year or $110 for a three-year membership. We put out a quarterly journal - a huge expense (all the old timers refused to go to digital). There's an international palm society - they host palmtalk.org You can check out their model

Last edited:
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
okay, so an update for everyone, based on the donations and voter poll in this thread, it seems that allowing everyone to donate once in a while is the way to go vs any kind of subscription model. this does makes sense given the kind of culture surrounding stp.

i've managed to combine the two in the 'milestones' system i mentioned before, just using the same donation system we had, but making it a little more clear that once we pay the bills for the month that we're still taking donations for my the work I'm putting into StP each week. this is taking the form of the 'buy me a beer' and 'buy me a burrito' progress bars that now appear after we've met the 'paying the bills' goal.

upon switching back to donation model (from subscription) we've already gotten several very generous sized donations, so i feel like this is a pretty good compromise between the system I was trying out at the beginning of this thread and our old system that folks seem to be more comfortable with.

honestly, it also takes less effort on my part with the not having to ship stickers/postcards and whatnot. i will still be shipping stickers to anyone that earned them (only one person so far) and will still be making the stickers I was showing off in our discord and making them available to buy in our etsy shop.

so thank you to everyone for helping me find the best way to go about this, i think this will be the best solution for things going forward.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
oh, i forgot to mention that i've changed the length of account upgrades for people that donate money to StP.

with the subscription model is was per month, so upgrades were only good for one month.

since we're moving away from that, i've extended the length of account upgrades from 1 month to 3 months. so from here on any donation will get an upgrade to their account for 3 months.

also, there are no more tiers or levels, any donation gets any account upgraded to the same level as everyone else, with all benefits included (i will be slowly creating new help pages explaining each perk and how to use it over the next few weeks).

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
Analyzing site activity will likely show only certain members even reviewed this thread, perhaps two dozen people (I'm sure all the moderators); anyway, my point is it'll always be an effort to 'gain sustainability'. I don't have any answers, but your transparency on the matter is probably a good thing. I didn't get here until a couple of years ago but I'm blown away how long you've stuck with it. Everyone who visits here has access to a device - maybe it's a library terminal - who knows? Regardless, most visitors can afford to contribute something at some point.

Last edited:

lazerskull

Current Location
Oakland, CA.
Do u do Venmo I'll gladly donate. Yeah if everyone donates and you get rich could u buy us a cool ranch / retreat / community center where we could all hang out

Current Location
Humboldt County, CA
I'd much rather toss you a few bucks here and there than get locked out by proprietary javascript or google ads; I'm on Linux and not into phones.

I wish I was stable enough to shove a sandwich in your face, but the way my life goes it makes more sense to shove a bunch of them in your freezer to tide you over for the times I just don't have any funds at all.

Total newbie/serial lurker here rabbit-trailing from some anarchist political theory forum or another, so I wouldn't have found you if you were subscription-only.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I'd much rather toss you a few bucks here and there than get locked out by proprietary javascript or google ads; I'm on Linux and not into phones.

I wish I was stable enough to shove a sandwich in your face, but the way my life goes it makes more sense to shove a bunch of them in your freezer to tide you over for the times I just don't have any funds at all.

Total newbie/serial lurker here rabbit-trailing from some anarchist political theory forum or another, so I wouldn't have found you if you were subscription-only.
I appreciate the input, but going 'subscription only' was never on the table, just a patreon style funding model.

Doesn't matter anyways, since it didn't really work out and folks liked the donation model better, so I went back to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back
walking in the forrest playing funeral doom ambient metal on teh headphones, ahh bliss!